don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    I'm using Bizhawk, it has Lua embedded in it and it has access to RAM, VRAM, ROM, Z80 RAM, BOOT ROM, SRAM, CRAM, and VSRAM, all with realtime editing plus a lot of internal libs for Lua to use. In the example I showed, you're seeing my scripts inject the level tiles, blocks, chunks, palette, layout, and collision stuff into their respective areas. There is a system in place that allows me to script level events per level, this is what sets up the palette cycle, tunnel, and the menu selection stuff. Also thanks to MarkeyJester for some asm code I also have complete control over objects in the game, allowing me to make custom objects by injecting mappings in to the ROM, and the tiles in to the VRAM, and controlling/making instances/linking to in-game objects with a Lua class system I built that's controlling the OST.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Might have something in time for the Hacking Contest...:
    [​IMG]

3. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Oh wow, that looks amazing!

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Man, can you take a crack at custom Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles sprites? I have a feeling they would look just awesome.

5. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

resident lowercaser Member
    the void between universes.
    not really any specific hack...too many to list.
    [​IMG]

Small teaser of what I'm working on. Two things I wanna clear up. though:
    1) The ground is not supposed to be snow.
    2) Background is nonexistent because I suck at background art. It will come later, though. =)

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your best laid plans in ruins, doctor.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    ...so she can turn eggman monitors into 1up monitors? That's exactly the sort of feature I can legitimately say I never would've thought of.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

She could do it in the previous two games, just since no Eggman monitors were laid around you could only do it vice versa, which wasn't as productive. :P

She can transform other monitors into particular ones too, those redundant water shields in the S+K levels can now be changed into fire shields. :D

Not sure what to think about the platform. The block setup is unique, like their are bits missing from the construction. As mentioned below, it looks like you can enter the innards. Looks a bit like a Chaos level cosmetically. Also like the Sonic sprite.

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If it's not snow what is it? I'm curious because the art looks fine to me, but that's it. It's just fine. Mostly because I don't know what level theme you're going for so it's hard to judge fairly. You could purpose it to any number of themes using it as a base.

Is the purple part a tunnel Sonic can enter? His sprite looks really good by the way.

10. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

It's meant to be sort of a winter-themed level. The name is Frosty Dusk.

Also, that last bit...it currently isn't a tunnel, but this gave me probably the best possible idea for an alternate route. =P

11. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

By the way, and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, Sonic's sprites are from this sheet (uploaded to my dropbox because Mod.Gen seems to be dead right now).

Ditto. Most people would probably expect it to be, since most of the art looks like it's from the first level in Sonic 2: The Rise of Chaos.

EDIT: THOMAS SLIPPED IN BEFORE I POSTED THIS.

So, if this actually IS the art for Frosty Dusk, then why is the ground not snow? Just curious as to what it is.

12. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

I was originally going to add some snow banks to make it seem more winter-y (and to make up for the lack of snow ground), then gave up because I've looked everywhere and cannot figure out what a snow bank would look like in 2D. I could pull a Sonic 3 & Knuckles and port the snow bank from Ice Cap, but that wouldn't look right since it's basically just a giant pile of snow with a wall on one side.

Also, the reason that the ground itself isn't snow actually has nothing to do with the zone itself, it's because I'm not entirely sure how to make it look like there is snow hanging off the sides of the ground. So I decided to just keep it as is until I find a way. Any suggestions on that would be awesome.

13. Hey there Sonic Retro!

Here's a video of my Sonic 3 & Knuckles hack, I was working and improving my stuff since from SHC2014 demo. The video is an layout of Ice Cap Act 2, enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvigDamNt6o
    I hope the result is good enough for you all, I had a little difficulty to do that layout, with some issues and such, but in the end, it was more fun than stressful.

Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wish there were something like this for Android so I could make certain games touchscreen friendly.

15. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Technically BizHawk could be ported to Windows Phone since it's made in .NET (and one of the cores used by BizHawk actually has a release for WinPhone! EMU7800, emulates Atari 2600/7800 games, check it out)
    But that's not Android...

16. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You're forgetting a few things.
    1. .NET is available for both Android and iOS. Visual Studio 2015 is even bundling Android tools as an optional install.
    2. The Genesis Core is native, based on Genesis Plus, which is written in C.

Lua is probably a bigger enemy, some scripts can be pretty demanding on processing time.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't think any script I'd use would need a whole lot of processing power. Just reading RAM addresses to see what's on one screen at the moment, where the cursor is, and what button presses would be necessary to get to any other point on the screen or stuff like that. I only stopped playing games like FFTA and Fire Emblem because they need touch screen controls for me to enjoy them. Fuck that dpad noise.

18. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    [​IMG]

Boredom struck so I started importing my Sonia sheet into S1 and made a few other graphical changes. Ignore the life icon, I haven't made one for her yet, so have Pink-Sonic instead. :v:

19. This is nice sprite! I just think Sonia's head is slightly larger than the body and she looks like a younger child, anyway, it is still a good sprite!

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's a wonderful sprite pose, and I enjoy the style of that life HUD. Unique!