don't click here

elicense tagging SEGA content?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TheUltimaXtreme, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Paraxade

Paraxade

ShiftyFish on the Sega forums says they got a response from Sega support which seems to indicate that the claims aren't legitimate.

I've just shot Sega's support an email as well to see if I can get a similar answer out of them, and anyone being affected might want to consider doing the same.

2. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Yeah, SEGA America and Europe have been pretty supportive with most people on video content in the past. I hope this gets sorted out quickly, last thing SEGA needs is another part of their community hating them, don't want to drive attention away from Youtubers hating Nintendo.

3. Paraxade

Paraxade

Aaaand now they've finally hit me. Probably more coming too.

[​IMG]

Fuck.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So you guys gonna fight this or give up?

Since we know this is just some dickwad and not SEGA, I really think you guys who are getting these claims to fight back and email SEGA's support instead of just giving up.

5. Paraxade

Paraxade

But we don't know that, unless you know something we don't. Sega has said absolutely nothing on the matter.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Shouldn't the support email's that people are getting from SEGA be proof enough that they aren't behind it?

I would just email them and use their response, which is most likely the same response they are telling everyone else, and use that to file the counter claim. I say fight until we know for sure that SEGA is going full iron fisted asshole on us.

7. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member
    I already mentioned I know someone who is working at SEGA currently.

SoA has no idea whom "elicense" is, but I was told there is a possible chance SoJ had something to do with it, but they don't know and don't really think so due to how "bizarre" some of the claims look (as in, structured a bit strangely in the wording(?))

I guess just temporarily swap the music/mute it if you can, I still sent a dispute anyways because as far as I know there is no proof that "elicense" is a thing affiliated with SEGA (or possibly exists...? It could simply be fraud claims. Ain't the first nor last time that will and has happened).

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I wonder, Is it a very large number of people being targeted, or small select group?

9. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member
    Just seems anything SEGA related will get hit. Small channel or not.

10. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I've just been hit by this as well: My Sonic CD Intro and Ending videos have been flagged with Copyright Notices from elicense, although they've been up since 2008.

I've clicked the "Got it!" button under the acknowledgement, but I'm not touching the videos (editing or otherwise). Not surprisingly, there's no option that's even remotely close to select in the list when disputing this. Anyone got any contact details for Sega/Sega Europe for me? I think that the more people who contact them in one go about this, the better.

11. [My rant about elicence's content ID claims. Removed because ordeal is done. Also; my apologizes for not behaving in a better manner than I did when I made this reply's original post.]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  12. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    If I get hit I'm disputing the claim.

Legitimate or not, this elicense doesn't seem to have any clear link to SEGA. I've been hit by illegitimate claims before where the claimant were seemingly unrelated to the actual company in question. The claim got removed in the end and I was happy.

What you need to do is do a bit of research. Dispute each claim with factual info on the copyright holders. If the claims were legitimate, you would have them from either;

• SEGA themselves
    • The record company in which the track(s) in question belongs to (I.e. Wave Master, etc)
    • The composer themselves (I.e. Masato Nakamura)
    There can be other proxies in which a claim can be made, however, YouTube's Content ID is easily exploitable. You should be looking for something similar to the format in which Nintendo's claims are made, which are legitimate - I wouldn't buy into this elicense until some proof can come up linking them to SEGA.

13. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I got hit too. Disputed it. Here's hoping YouTube sees this as a problem.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Suspicion over at the SSMB from looking at http://www.elicense.co.jp/u/20140611.pdf is that they're a third-party company who is hired by companies to deal with checking social media for copyrights and all. If so, odds are SoJ had once more the clever idea of messing with Youtube.

15. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    Oh God...

If it is legit I'm screwed...

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    It really probably is. The vague answers by SEGA West seem less "we're not doing this" and more "wait what are we doing this we're probably doing this from japan shit we can't comment"

17. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I really wish I didn't make such a rash action at 3am...

If I get a copyright strike I'm going to flip.

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Now you see why I'm so wary of disputing the claims. Music licensing is a mess and I would not be surprised at all if SoJ outsourced it to another company. I'm not risking my channel's status until we get a clear cut reply.

I'm talking about 11 videos so far I'd have to dispute, if these go wrong I can kiss my channel goodbye with the amount of strikes I'd get.

19. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    I jinxed myself yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Two videos thus far for me... I won't doubt more attacks, though.
    Can we get a contact to the SoJ branch about this? The last thing I need is my monetization to drop because I disputed this and lost... And I don't wish to touch the next video until we have the last word ion this.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Technically speaking, it might be possible to overturn these -- if you send an email to Sega's support and they admit they don't know who "elicense" is, you might be able to use that in whatever counter-claim you make.

Youtube uses a lot of big scary legal language, though. And I don't even remember where Youtube's support email is, and in addition to that, last time I used it, I think it took them 9 months to respond to me.

But theoretically, if all the stars align properly and you forward Youtube a complete, full email from Sega's support about this "elicense" stuff, they'll get the message (there are ways to verify an email's legitimacy that go beyond what address is listed as the sender).

One of us (or multiple of us) have to bite the bullet and try it... as soon as we can figure out where Youtube's support email is.