don't click here

SEGA of America Relocating

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Skyler, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Source

I feel bad for all of the people who will lose their jobs because of this. :(

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    How many more times will Sega be able to sub-divide like this before there's nothing left?

I feel bad for everyone who lost their jobs. Sega certainly hasn't done anything to make themselves attractive to new employees lately. Wish all of the individuals parting ways all the best.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It doesn't explicitly say that anywhere but the headline. It's certainly not unlikely sounding, however. But the way they keep mentioning the Sonic brand at least makes it look as though Sonic is going to continue to press on. In fact, the Notice of Implementation of Structure Reform is worth reading.

5. Yeah I doubt this'll be the end of console SEGA games, I think as far as Sonic is concerned we might be seeing more partnerships with Nintendo or Sony. As bad as the last few games have been, Sonic is still a major player, so I think Nintendo would probably wanna see more of Sonic on the Wii U just for the sake of more games or Sony might step in and help keep the unannounced new-gen game alive like they did with Street Fighter V and Grim Fandango.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    And yet there's all this issue with getting PSO2 to the West. Strange.

Considering I only own a mid-range PC and a smartphone for this generation, I'm not too upset. However, this probably also means that there's even less chance of any revivals of underutilized or creation of new IP for some time.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Can't really blame SEGA for going this route. Outside of Alien: Isolation, PC ports, and mobile, they haven't had much success lately. The PC market is also friendlier to games with niche appeal, which is probably why their PC releases have been doing well.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    A shame that people are losing their jobs because of this, but I'm honestly not surprised. The chickens of the overvalued Sonic Boom initiative (along with the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic partnership, the Aliens: Colonial Marines controversy, and pretty much every other shenanigan the publisher has pulled over the last decade), have finally come home to roost at Sega.

The three Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games underperforming / bombing has pretty much put the kibosh on any chance of Sega striking up another console exclusive partnership for Sonic. The PS4 could end up selling 50 million units by this year's end and I'm sure Sega would still consider it too risky regardless.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey Sega maybe start taking some of your franchises more seriously. You can't afford to fuck up, or sammy's going to cut you off like a cancerous tumor.

This fucking company. Run by fucking idiots. Honestly, the only thing I like about Sega at this point are some of it's franchises. Sell Sonic and Super Monkey Ball to some competent publishers or developers, and then just shut down. I'm sick of you existing at this point.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    To think the last console Sonic game was Sonic Boom.

How disgusting, what a way to top it all off.

11. MamboCat

MamboCat

Old Fogey Member
    Prague
    STCO colouring!
    Surely after the mess that was Boom, someone's head was going to roll.

It's just that in these situations, it's usually the wrong people who get the boot, in this case 300 employees.

They're the folks I feel sorry for.

12. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    It's hard to feel sympathy for the company as a whole when they did this shit to themselves.

I hope the good people that got fired land on their feet, at least.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Same, my condolences to the people who got fired its never fun losing your job no matter how crappy.

I do hope this isn't the end of the console sonic games, I really don't want Sonic Boom to be the last console game we see. also, I wonder if the comic will be hit by this?

14. I feel really bad for the people who are going to lose their jobs due to this. I totally understand their new found focus on mobile and PC games, I just hope that whatever they do doesn't affect series (I.e. Sonic) that are mainly on consoles (which the article makes it seem to appear as such). But again this is SEGA, so I won't take their word for it. Something bad is bound to happen.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    easy breakdown of todays events thanks to NeoGAF:

16. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Looks like Sonic Runners is the biggest Sonic game we can look forward to huh? Boom didn't help at all.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

It's time for Sega to go quiet into that dark night. With such little backing to really push their franchises into success, they just need to sell their IP off and disappear. Sega and Sammy make plenty of money from their pachinko and whatnot, so Sammy is getting next to nothing from keeping Sega around. Sell the IP, sell Atlas, maybe sell Sonic Team as well. Maybe someone else out there will actually make use of lapsed franchises like the Shining series, Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, Billy Hatcher, freaking Phantasy Star... Sega has so many viable franchises that they just don't have the financial or creative backing to put out that could be a gold mine in the right hands.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm really fucking tired of the whole of the internet saying SEGA needs to sell FUCKING EVERYTHING when they lose even a dollar.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic's fine, it's primarily the publishing and arcade divisions that are affected.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Would that really be a terrible thing? Further, it's fairly obvious at this point Sega's losing a lot more than just a dollar. 300 is a lot of unemployed people.