don't click here

A little "idea" I had about where Sonic's speed comes from

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dusty, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Dusty

Dusty

So, after reading around the internet, people seem to generally suggest that Sonic's running speed (and therefore probably the speed of other sonic characters that can run faster than a normal human) comes from him having abnormal "power" or strength in his legs.

I have a slightly different idea of where it comes from (without saying that it's magic or a completely illogical superpower).

What if Sonic's muscles, especially in his legs, contract faster than normal? As in they're not necessarily stronger, although they are probably pretty strong, but they can just start and finish full contractions at a higher rate or something like that? And what if Sonic's nervous system/brain or neurons can send messages faster and more rapidly than a normal human? I'm not saying Sonic is smarter because he has faster brain ells, but maybe his nervous system can send the kind of messages that tell a person's legs to move at a faster rate than a normal human's nervous system can. I feel like that explains better why his legs can move so physically fast and why he can run so fast while having a stride roughly equivalent to a tall human (assuming he's doing almost a full on split between each running step he's taking, and that maybe he spends a little time between steps with both feet off the ground).

What you guys think? Is that even theoretically possible? Care to nerdily debate with me?

2. Felik

Felik

It's a videogame

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    But Eggman can run as fast as Sonic.

4. Felik

Felik

Well, obviously, that's because he just like any human has a sonic gene.
    Gotta be scientific

5. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Sonic has a horrific biological condition that mean his body is essentially overclocked. Every night, he has heart palpatations that wake him up whenever he tries to drift off, so he never sleeps soundly. He will die at age 21 because of how freakishly accelerated his body clock is. He adventures with a mutated fox changed by nuclear radiation and a steroid addicted echidna he met during one of his frequent visits to the hospital, fighting a clinically obese man in a floating wheelchair, because he has a deep-rooted fear of wasting the rest of his life and wants to take out his anguish on some of the few people with a shorter life expectancy than he does.

You're welcome.

6. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    That's the logic I've been using for years. Shall we discuss how Tails can even fly exactly?

7. I'm pretty sure that in STC issue #1 (or it could have been the preview issue) Sonic was just a regular hedgehog and Robotnik a regular scientist, working on power sneakers until the treadmill Sonic was testing the sneaks on exploded or something...

Would try and find a link but away from my computer atm.

8. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    you mean this? Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(promotional_comic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Although that promo comic isn't part of StC continuity, a version of these events does indeed happen in the StC universe - specifically, it's shown in a flashback in The Origin of Sonic StC#8, and then revisited during part of The Return of Chaotix storyline in StC #71 due to time-travel shenanigans.

The Sonic novels, which are yet another continuity, also use a version of these events as their origin story as detailed in Sonic the Hedgehog: In the Fourth Dimension - which also involves those events being messed with due to time-travel shenanigans! = P

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

11. Ha, thanks NioZero - major nostalgia trip there! I wonder if anyone remembers a letter from 'Mr. Oldfash' in issue 1, I'm sure that was an editor having a laugh. Still got my issue 1 minus stickers, God knows where it is though, I'll have to find it :v: Used to love the letters sections in 90's gaming mags, the editors would always poke fun at the people writing in.

McAlleCh, I'm pretty sure #8 is the one I remember, it differs slightly from the one NioZero posted.

So is this storyline canon? I think it answers Dusty's original post nicely.

EDIT: DarkSonic, that's pretty funny. It always bugged me how that when tails jumps, his tails stay stationary. God knows how that works...

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I came up with an idea surrounding Silver and his telekinesis.

You know how it's a little ambiguous where / when he came from? Well, he trained as a Jedi for a few years before being tricked by Sidious into coming here and trying to kill Sonic. I noticed it when he lifted things with the power of his mind. He uses the Force. Series over, GG

13. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    IIRC, Silver's master was Mammoth Mogul (in the comics) but I cannot remember where he obtained his powers or if was mentioned in the comic...

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    "How? That's easy. It's fear. Picture this:

You're an industrialist, trying to modernize a backward planet and raise up standards of living through the use of technology, for the common good. One day, some of your industrial robots are blown up by a sentient, supersonic blue hedgehog. That's scary as fuck. Now, said hedgehog has it in his head that you're a monster who's turning animals into robots and wants to take over the world and oppress it, in large part because of all the steroids, speed, colloidal silver, and other assorted shit he's been taking in massive quantities for the past decade. You decide to see if you can't reason with the guy, but for your troubles you get assaulted, and your ride gets trashed beyond recognition.

So you decide to deal with this like you would with any other pest problems: You put out some traps, like spike pits, modify a couple of your robots with .22 rifles, etc. The way you'd deal with any rodent, really. Soon enough, the hedgehog gets himself impaled, and you're done. Or so you think. Soon after, despite having quite clearly been drained of his precious bodily fluids, he's back and trashing your robots again. Maybe the other one was some sort of decoy? No matter, you're taking this into your own hands. You modify your ride, mad max style, adding a couple of guns, some spikes, missile, slowly swinging giant balls, that kind of stuff. Then you roll. You meet the hedgehog and after a brief struggle where he manages to make one or two lucky hits on spots you haven't really bothered armoring, you make him into thin gruel. This time you're sure he's done for.

How wrong you are. Soon after, he's back. You can't believe it. You try to kill him yourself once more, but this time he seems to know where to strike. He seems to know when to strike. He seems to know when you'll strike. Once you realize that, you try to change your attack patterns, but it's too late, he's done enough damage to blow up your vehicle, and you barely escape with your life. For the next few days, he follows you, destroying everything you throw at him, and it's obvious he won't stop until he gets you. You can't sleep. You watch as he destroys everything you've done to help people: one after another, chemical plants, oil refineries, amusement parks, all you've built, gets blown up by this satanic, unholy, immortal demon from the deepest pits of hell. When you do manage to take him out, he's back within hours.

Eventually, as you're trying to escape to the one place where you think you're safe, space, he defeats one of your latest creation, and for the first time, you're face to face with him. There's no steel plate protecting you. There's no vertical distance. He's there, staring at you with those empty, demonic eyes.

You run like you've never run before. You just fucking run."

15. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Anyone can be a track star with the right motivation, ever been chased by a dog?

16. I have, and it's scary. I can remember at sports day when I was a kid running with my arms behind me à la Sonic CD. I can comment that it doesn't work in real life, you just look like an idiot. And it fucks up your balance.

17. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

I'll bet you were dippin'. Did you have your arms back when this was going on?

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    You're right, he then went to Coruscant to perfect his training. I forgot his super secret origin story arc.

19. You do dip ever so slightly on straight ground, but it's fine on hills and small inclines as your center of balance is shifted.

4 trial posts left, and I just wasted another one :colbert:

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect

I got a good laugh out of all those! Totally saving that post to a text file, Overlord.

This is why I don't think too hard about the logic in Sonic. The series was originally and intentionally left ambiguous enough for each region to mold Sonic into however he needed to appeal in each market. Some see Sonic as cute, or an asshole, or the ultimate force of good in his world. We could probably come up with ten theories about his speed, and still only come close to matching one officially recognized continuity or the other, instead of the universal answer that applies to all of them.

Although it couldn't hurt to give the Tumblr side of the fanbase a crack at it. The Tumblr community in general enjoys over-thinking trivial fictional factoids like this, so the rest of the world doesn't have to. :v: *bricked*