don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Can't you just delete the patch data from your system? or play without patching? How can you acquire a 1GB patch and not realise?

If I get this game ever, I'm gonna make sure not to update it, I'm not gonna let them suck what little fun you can have with it lol

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Seconded.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Wii U will usually download updates to games you've played in standby mode. In addition, once an update is applied, deleting it will prevent the game from starting unless you reinstall the patch. I don't know if deleting the save file or reformatting the console will fix this.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Precisely what I'm thinking. Fans deride it, the critics slaughtered it and the general public have voted with their wallets - Sonic Boom is a bad game and it failed to meet expectations hard. Even if it was the most stable game ever released following this patch (and it's still nowhere close to that), opinions would hardly be any different. It seems like a massive waste. Comparatively, the patch to Lost World that added regular control for the Wisps and reinstated the 100 rings = extra life mechanic made the game more enjoyable; it was worth it. It's surprising that SEGA would want the time and money invested in this patch. The only reason I can think of is that some post-release support had already been agreed upon way in advance.

Yep. RoL is still a worse game than '06. They're bad in some very different ways and some similar ways, but when you sum it all up RoL manages to be that much worse. Sweep this shit under the carpet, SEGA. Don't draw attention to it with a patch that fixes the one way to exploit it for some sadistic fun.

5. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yep, this, so if you have your Wii U connected to the Internet the only way you'll still have an unpatched game right now is if you've specifically disabled standby functions.

6. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    I will say though, at least one of the levels I played through post-patch looked much better, the different lighting does make a difference, is it worth 1GB though? Hell no, make that patch optional somehow Sega :argh:

7. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Does this have the same affect with disk version as downloaded? I can imagen the downloaded version would be hard to scrub the patch, but does the disk version also not work if you delete all Boom patch data?

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Did we suddenly travel back to 1996, when 1.6 GB hard drives cost $400? Size is the least of the issues.

(Sidenote: If they added a function to "override" files within the streams with patch files, that would definitely reduce the update size, but that takes a whole 1-2 days worth of effort.)

You won't be able to start the game until you reinstall the update.

9. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    This is damage control, nothing more. If you hate the game that much, delete the patch data and don't play it again.

I think it's commendable that they're at least attempting to make Sonic Boom more playable, even if it's too little too late.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm surprised BRB has enough staff to have even dealt with this. Weren't they laying off/firing people in droves just recently?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not just recently, they laid off people who worked on the game months before it was released.

12. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah it would've been much much smaller if they'd done that... no idea why they didn't. I had a quick look earlier to come up with a rough estimate of how much of the update data is just duplicates of unmodified files:

The update is ~1.2 GB in total, so that's basically an entire gigabyte of extra data.

13. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Has anyone got reliable sales figures for the wii U version?

Would be interesting to see just exactly how much money this abortion has cost Sega.

14. Nova

Nova

I'm pretty sure they made money on it - it's Sonic, it'll sell; and the game doesn't look like it cost a huge amount to develop and produce anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong though - would be interesting to see, you're right. :v:

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Thirded (or fourthed if one wants to count Blue Blood's post which more or less agrees).

NPD sales results for December 2014 (which IIRC are usually put the total/lifetime sales of a product) puts RoL at 68K and SC at 73K.

Remember, Rise of Lyric by itself is the product Sega shelled out $20 million on (according to BRB themselves, who were the only source to report the game's cost); and Sega cut their sales expectations for the game in half (from 600K copies sold in the game's first year to 300K) prior to release.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Before release, huh? So they knew they had a stinker on their hands and adjusted expectations accordingly. Kind of a shame, I was legitimately hoping that Boom would be good.

Woah, weird. Does this mean that he's an android in the English version but they're just more subtle about it, or is there a different canon altogether? I guess we'll find out.

18. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Someone in the comments brought up the idea that it's just a common Japanese trope that powerful characters have multiple voice layers, which is a possibility. Someone else thinks that if the voice clips are changed dynamically (unlikely, especially when the cutscenes are pre-rendered) that it wasn't supposed to be like that. And if he is a robot in Japanese, then that's closure for the people that wanted that ending of Shadow the Hedgehog to be canon.

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Uh... Shadow believing he's a robot doesn't spontaneously make him a robot. An Eggman line in the final story's boss fight confirms that he's the same Shadow from Sonic Adventure 2, so no matter what path Shadow takes, it's still THE Shadow. He just might be a little less intelligent or a little more of a jerk in some endings.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Except there are those two endings where I'm pretty sure Shadow kills Eggman... then he's back.