don't click here

RIP Chikao Otsuka (Japanese voice actor of Eggman)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jan 16, 2015.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    According to the latest update here: http://www.aoni.co.jp/

Google translate:
    Fuck. :(

2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    fuck, I've been watching a shitton other anime where he's acting too, like Lupin III (He was Goemon). The man was a master. Sad to see him go, although he had a good career at least.

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Oh, fuck. Eggman will never be the same :/

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Damn. Besides Mike Pollock, Jim Cummings (SatAM), and Garry Chalk (Sonic Underground), are there any other people who voiced Robotnik in the past that are still alive? Outside of English and Japanese voice actors for the Sonic characters, I have no knowledge of the actor history for other countries.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Wasn't he also Master Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts?

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sad to hear, he, like nearly every other Eggman actor, was a hoot to hear, especially in Japanese Sonic X.

Did Otsuka do work on Boom before his passing? If so at least he really got to show off his vocals before leaving us.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Seeing as Sonic Toon came out in December I would say so.

8. Too bad Japan won't be able to hear him in the cartoon.

Well, from what I know, there's also:
    - Masaharu Sato (SegaSonic the Hedgehog arcade)
    - Junpei Takiguchi (Sonic OVA)
    - Edwin Neal (English dub of Sonic OVA)
    - Koichi Hashimoto (Japanese dub of AoStH and SatAM, supposedly)
    Sonic Underground also aired in Japan, but we don't know who voiced Robotnik there.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Junpei Takiguchi is dead and I thought the actor of Sonic OVA's English dub wasn't alive either, but I guess when I initially heard the Robotnik Sonic OVA actor died, I misinterpreted the information on which actor died. I wish Edwin Neal was given that role in more instances. He might be my favorite Robotnik.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    He had a long and prosperous life . May he rest in piece.

11. I was just listing all the remaining actors who voiced him, but thanks for pointing it out. And I have to agree, Edwin Neal did a pretty good job with him.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Fuckin Heart Disease man, takes the best of away too soon. why hasn't that shit been dealt with yet? its 2015 for god sakes.

I'm gonna miss him, I always played with the JP voice settings and he was my Dr. Eggman for the longest time and hearing him voice Dr. Weil in MMZ was a treat too. This hurts...

He was EVERYTHING man, name it and he was in it somehow.

13. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Can't say I've listened to Sonic games and shows in Japanese all that much, but I know what I've heard is good, especially from this guy. Sad to hear another great voice actor passed away, and to a disease. May he rest in peace.

14. Falk

Falk

He had the most iconic laugh ever.

RIP :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfEk5IQPb70

edit: herp https

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    https://twitter.com/junichisonic

Do you think you guys can find somebody to translate what junichi is saying on his twitter? I mean a real translation too not whatever google considers a butchering of a translation. I'm sure hes completely heartbroken right now :(.

16. Rather frustratingly for me, Otsuka was also a notable Satellaview seiyuu - he was the King of Subcon in BS Super Mario USA.

17. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I was very sad to hear this. He's had quite a career, and his Eggman voice was awesome, IMO. RIP Chikao Otsuka.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm on the verge of tears, this is terrible news. I'll miss that mischievous laugh of his. And to think, his last project as the good doctor was Rise of Lyric. How...sad... Rest in peace, ol' top, and take pride in the fact that you were a living legend during your final years.

19. Aside from Eggman, anyone who knows their stuff about Mega Man Zero will know him as Dr. Weil.

20. Raia

Raia

Try to construct a Keio Saturn > PSX converter and mod a Sega Saturn Arcade stick
    Sad to hear of his passing, I loved his work which is very iconic with his style.