don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Vangar

Vangar

I'd like to see a recording of the progress so far, heaps excited to see this.

2. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Still really hyped for this - just don't want to fill the thread with the same kind of posts every time but................keep up the good work lol.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Wont be any kinds of updates for a while guys. ( The Saturn build is next on JR's hit list)

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys its update time ! Lets all stand up and cheer!
    JollyRoger has the game up and running on Sega Saturn cart Dev hardware here.
    Sonic can not run around yet, but yeah that's being worked on.

Other news: As of right now, one level is compatible with the Saturn build so far (Its a Version 040 def file which supports extra directional slopes that are not found in the rest of this leak, These slopes can be found in the newer version levels from HXC's older leak.
    I've had a good look threw of each .def file when rebuilding the levels for AXSX ( im completely finished with the rebuilding btw), and To me it "looks" like it may be an easy task to get some of the other levels we have like Gold tile stage (def ver 037) converted so that the Saturn version engine can read them.

Sonic X-treme on Saturn Cartdev hardware.
    [​IMG]

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    [​IMG]

What a fantastic guy, and what great news. I know I'm brownnosing a lot in this thread but I don't think it can be stated enough how wonderful this all is.

6. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Awesome!!

Great work JollyRoger :)

7. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    I made an account on Assemblr, but don't really feel the energy to log it in for this.

Jollyroger, you are doing a hell of a service for the Sonic community. We've obviously seen the progress over the years, but you are making leaps and bounds we never hoped to reach. Real development kits, actual level files with the code work, and to top it all off, shedding light back on the ill-famed NVidia NV1 card. And Andrew75, you are showing how capable it is. I don't expect it to be functional on a gameplay boundary any time soon, but running a sort of level ride-along is at least a step in the right direction.

My brother's been getting ups and downs on making his Saturn mod a reality. I may have him explain some time soon, to see if any help could be gathered. But at the core of it all, we hope to have a working and modified Sega Saturn in the near future. Assuming this becomes stable enough for normal Saturn operation, and assuming it's public, I'll see to it that I document what I can. I don't carry a Cartdev, obviously, but at least signs that it works is a good sign.

As it stands, we're still waiting to see it get further along, and it should be really awesome to see. I won't hold my breath on the NV1 project, or the ideas that it could be re-wrapped to render in OpenGL, Glide, or DirectX. That's implementing a whole slew of different APIs for something that was never meant for it (quads, obviously). Should it work out, though, I and my brother have more than enough machines to test the waters with that. Two Windows 98 machines, a pair of AGP NVidia cards, and of course, kickin' Windows 8 for really checking it out.

I offer you all the luck I can muster, mates.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys ! JollyRoger has some updates for us!
    Here we see that he has started to port the source code of the NV1 engine. He changed the original code so that it compiles using the latest Visual Studio and he is writing a new OpenGL rendering backend that replaces all the NV1 code
    Basically this is the original Sonicboom version 37 but recompiled in Windows 8.1 and with OpenGL rendering the polygons.

Run04.def ( which is a variation of the red brick area)
    [​IMG]

Run24.def (which is the Gold tile Level)
    [​IMG]

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Does this mean a playable build is on the horizon, or will this benefit the further exploration of the contents without using nearly 20 year old hardware?

10. winterhell

winterhell

That was the intent from the beginning.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm aware of that. But until now, that has not been something they could do. My question was whether or not this most recent breakthrough was what they needed to make this happen.

12. Aagh! My eyes! It's too bright! It's too bright!

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Sonic Paynt Xtreme

14. Falk

Falk

1/4 of the indie games that come out today are fruitier.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Both yes.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I've spent over a week attempting to modify the older .def files to work with the Saturn build, I was partially successful , in that it seems levels with lot of textures ( like Gold tile level and its over 8 textures) can not run properly on Saturn hardware threw modifications.
    What I did was change the key features inside the version 037.def to match exactly the 040 def version which is the Saturn build we have. First I made a code translation chart so that we can translate slopes between .def versions.
    Than I commented out all slope, scale and other attributes in the .037 def file that were no longer used in version 40 (Threw experimentation). lastly I added in the ver 040 functions to the version 37 .def file.

When running the file in game, the cubes were not showing up so threw a lot of troubleshooting I narrowed the problem down to texture calls , (err... where the .def file loads textures) after disabling multiple textures 1 by 1 than running the engine each time a texture was disabled I found that random but specific cube types would come back on screen.
    By the time I got the level down to like a few textures the full level was visible. (it did not matter what 2 textures were loading, any 2 worked) ( so yeah right now it looks like only 2 textures of 128 x 128 size are useable in game at this moment for Saturn build)

Now I'm not exactly 100% sure what the cause could be......Mayyybeeee Ran out of System memory , or perhaps something to do with the pallets assigned to the textures. or something engine side that I can not see since I don't have that code, I did not attempt to mess with the .def file further as it was eating into AXSX dev time. the almost 2 weeks did coast a lot of time !

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It's unclear whether you were actually successful or not from your original post, because you say it "can not" run properly through modifications and go on to describe things that would have happened if it had worked. I've attempted to translate your post above, please let us know if my interpretation is correct.

Thanks for the efforts so far.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Updates on windows 8.1 port of the NV1 engine by Jollyroger !
    Here we have textures, but lacks effects like fog, no perspective correction, no transparency, improper UVs and no proper lighting system.
    [​IMG]

and UV progress update:
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Skype Quote:
    EDIT: The level is also missing some textures because JR has not converted to the 24bit textures yet. (So They are not loadable at this point.)
    A little more in depth explanation. The textures are converted on the fly via code. At this point in time He has done the conversion of the 8 bit textures. But not the 16 to24 bit ones. It'll be a simple mater for Master coder JR to handle.
    This post is being updated on the fly as info comes in.... (update to show how fast this is going.)
    [​IMG]

EDIT
    16 to 24 bit function functional while posting the above!
    [​IMG]

19. Vangar

Vangar

Pretty awesome stuff! Something I thought was impossible may be finally playable.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Found this texture inside the package......Named GEMPAL This texture represents.....
    A cry for help!? Maybe ! Signs of going Insane?! Most probable..... or lack of friends?! Hell Yes !!!!

The team working on X-treme was locked in an office for months on end without breaks.( I would assume without breaks leaving little for human interaction)
    This texture could be comparable to prisoners scribbling on their cell walls.

So if your making games and feel lonely. Than by all means, this guy may be your best new GEMPAL.
    For it to work, One must place it as their Avatar, or plaster it up all over as your desktop background!
    One must Talk with GEMPAL as one works and bounce ideas off GEMPAL. GEMPAL could also pass as ones lovely new Girlfriend/or/Boyfriend if they so chose.

That'll be 2 dollars shipping and handling folks, made payable to STI.

Clicky Clicky
    [​IMG]

HAIYA RETRO FRIENDS! I'm YOUR BEST NEW BUDDY!!! AND I WILL BE WITH YOU FOREVER AND EVER AND EVOR!!!!

[​IMG]

TERMS OF SERVICE
    Please do not Chew on GEMPAL.
    DO NOT try to MOD him in any way or form.
    GEMPAL IS NON REFUNDABLE
    MALFUNCTION MAY OCCURE IF SUBMERGED IN WATER, FRIENDSHIP IS THREATONED, OR SEXUAL ACTIVITY ATTEMPTED.

[​IMG]
    (MOD Produced by DAGUAR, all rights reserved) ( and I think he needs to run for his life now )