don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The Quake Wisp is in the Wii U version, just saying. You find it in multiplayer only as a way of slowing down your opponent, so it makes sense that it's in the game.

2. Paraxade

Paraxade

Oh okay, I didn't recognize it and when I did a quick google I found a page that said it was only in the 3DS version. Guess that's not actually anything interesting then :P

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Also, IIRC, Yacker is appears in on the map screen a lot. He's not named, but he's there.

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Yeah, he's the one giving you extra missions to do IIRC? Either that or the one who sends and receives gifts like extra 1ups

5. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah, IIRC it was his name written out as a HUD graphic. I'm not sure if it's used anywhere, but Zoney seemed to think so and I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

It's not too super interesting either way, honestly.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    A shame Lost World's physics appear to be hard-coded. I can imagine the gameplay being a lot more tolerable if it was changed to play more like Sonic titles of the past.

That said, the fact that you guys were even able to crack the game is fascinating enough.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Know what I just noticed? Link Sonic will only ever show a smile on the right side of his face. It doesn't adjust to the camera like the normal model does.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    He never swapped mouths at all apparently unless the new update data make its only stay on one side now. Since it seems they only made the right side show up in the visibility files.

9. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    Impressive work as always Dario. Never thought Wii U hacking would get this far. I wish you the best of luck.

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Some good news, the Wii U Common Key has been leaked, which should allow the decryption and extraction of the game dumps you can find around*. As far as I know there's no current easy-to-use tool to extract the files from the ISO dumps yet, but I imagine one should appear pretty soon. That means the files for Lost World (and many other Wii U games) should be possible to rip in the near future for the public.

*: I'm not really sure what else is possible with it so don't think this is the only thing that it enables.

11. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    Let's do it, then! I used DiscU tool by crediar, patched with proper common key.
    Sonic Lost World rip: [REDACTED]
    Sonic Boom (look here how to extract it further): [REDACTED]

Besides game dumps, common key also allows to extract files from Wii U updates, which is a great help when looking for things exploitable.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

I'm not exactly sure what Retro's stance is on dumps like that so I'm not putting the links in the OP yet until I get a confirmation.

However I've posted 3 new tools into the OP that should let people mess around with the files right now. One is for unpacking the PAC files, one for converting HKX and one for converting models and animations to FBX. The terrain previewer in the OP is pretty much my current build of SonicGLvl and I'm not really comfortable in how incomplete/unusable it is yet to do a public release.

I'll try writing the specs of the formats if someone sets up an SCHG page for the game.

Note: DDS are not really DDS but GTX renamed to DDS. We need to find a freely available tool first for converting the textures.

13. Paraxade

Paraxade

one other fairly important thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Lost World (and Boom, for that matter) has an unstripped executable. I haven't found any tools yet that can convert them to .elf and maintain all symbol data so they can be easily disassembled, but when there is one there should be a lot of information available from that.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    HEY GUESS WHAT WE ARE SUPER-AGAINST SPREADING DUMPS OF GAMES THAT ARE CURRENT!!!

So don't do it.

15. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    The reason I posted it is because these rips can't be used to launch the game anyway (encryption information missing, etc). Sorry then.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well, they can't be used right now. But it's pretty likely that at some point it'll be possible to run this stuff on Wii U.

17. Paraxade

Paraxade

Even if not it's still loaded with Sega's copyrighted content. There's a line somewhere, and I'm not sure where it is (after all, everyone's fine with SonicGLvl being distributed with loads of Generations assets), but I'm pretty sure distributing a full dump is over it.

18. Dario FF

Dario FF

I figured that was the case, which is why I was wary of even uploading the CPK alone (that is only about 1.8 GB and just has the game's assets). The rest of the dump is not really relevant towards the goal of the thread anyway. What about some sample files instead so people can have a look at some of the formats but are not interested in getting the entire thing? (.orc layout files, .path, etc.)

19. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

I'm mostly looking to get my hands on the audio files from the game which are most likely .aax (or .adx), correct?

20. Paraxade

Paraxade

The audio is actually a different CriWare format, ACB/AWB. I'm not sure what the audio format contained in them is; I know at least a few of them do contain ADX files.

EDIT: crediar's just released his DiscU tool. If you can find a scene release of Lost World that comes with the encrypted title key, you can use that tool to unpack files from it.