don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    In this case, "remastered" would be more fitting than "remake". Also not entirely sure about the way this campaign is done...

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If it were me, I'd try and minimise the amount of internet aliases and refer to games by full, I.e. "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" as opposed to "Sonic 3" (and definitely not "Sonic 1") (and maybe link them?). And maybe "Join the Campaign" instead of "JOIN OUR CAMPAIGN" (and not upper case)

Also darker fonts for the bits on grey. And I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the "new content" because this sort of thing was rejected from the Sonic 2 remake (also it doesn't look very pretty in this case imo). Also "HD graphics" falls a bit flat when you use a super duper compressed screenshot from YouTube :v:

I'd also probably exchange "on mobile" for "remastered", because you can get Android TVs and the like too.

3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    When I was speaking to my Japanese friend (who worked in the industry) he said "Mobile" would be better choice as it's more specific. Plus, Sega Networks only deals in mobile games, so it would be more relevant to them.
    He was saying specificity is really important,.

To be honest I'm in two minds. I was really tempted to do it as "remake" (even up to today I was about to change it). But because of the whole mobile-only nature of Sega Networks, I thought overall it's probably better to stick with mobile.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Please FINISH THE GAME
    and RELEASE IT!

That sounds really demanding, would 'PLEASE Finish the game and RELEASE it!' not be better?

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    My cartridge says "Sonic 3".

6. Felik

Felik

Thus making it the full name? I don't see a point in your post aside from being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Good point, that works too.

I really don't think it's going to make things any worse if we focus on the "Taxman Sonic 3" part without specifying platform.

As much as I want to see a Taxman'd Sonic 3, I'm so sick and tired of these awesome remakes remasterings being reserved for small-screened touch-controlled phones, and I don't really care to participate in a campaign that's going out of its way to specify a platform I have absolutely no interest in. Sonic 3 remastered on PC? I'd buy and play the CRAP out of that. I'd play the crap out of the entire trilogy (and the Knuckles-related combinations) if they put the new versions on Steam like they did with Sonic CD. But they haven't, so I can't.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    My point is that it IS the full name, in Europe.

9. Felik

Felik

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I remember good ol' Sonic 3: Sonic the Hedgehog. Good times.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That quite clearly says, "Sonic 3", with "Sonic the Hedgehog" as a subtitle.

As BlackHole said, the full title must clearly be "Sonic 3: Sonic the Hedgehog".

EDIT: Also, by "Sonic 3" in this thread we're actually really referring to "Sonic 3 & Knuckles", which would make it... what, "Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3: Sonic the Hedgehog"? :v:

12. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Maybe the "Sonic the Hedgehog" subtitle is just a way to say "starring Sonic the Hedgehog" (in case some players wouldn't notice...).

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    No no, the game is clearly called Sonic 3: Sonic the Hedgehog, let us respect the designers wishes and call it such.

(Seriously though, why is that Sonic the Hedgehog there, anyway?)

14. gold lightning

gold lightning

I quite like Sonic CD: The Hedgehog myself.
    [​IMG]

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Sonic 3: Sonic The Hedgehog & Knuckles

16. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Same here. Is there any other branch of Sega we could direct this letter to who could do ports to console and PC?

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Guys the game has to be created first and then published before any of that is possible. Pushing for stage three when stage one isn't even done yet is wishful thinking and a waste of time.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If you're talking about getting the remaster onto other platforms: I think you're missing the point. Remove the "for mobile" part from the petition, and it would make the chance of the game coming to other platforms bigger. Try to get the games onto platforms other than mobile at a later stage, and the chances of getting it on PC and consoles at all would be smaller. If it'd be released for those platforms, it would be best to release those versions at the same time as the mobile version from a marketing standpoint. Try to get the console/PC versions later, and SEGA might think it's a waste of marketing money when there are enough people with smartphones or tablets to buy the game anyway.

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

It'd be nice if SEGA was actually just holding out until the entire trilogy (plus Knuckles) was out on mobile to release a fixed up compilation on other platforms afterwards. I can't really say I trust SEGA to be that smart, but it'd certainly be a pleasant surprise if that ended up happening.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It is really tempting to switch to remastered, not just for the reasons outlined but also because I think the "mobile" might be a block for some fans. However, I think mobile is the right option for the following reasons:

1. Sega Networks only deals in mobile. It was specifically set up to handle all of Sega's mobile operations.
    2. Sega Japan seems to have no interest in the Taxman and Stealth ports. Sonic CD wasn't released in Japan for Xbox/PS3 (even though the vintage collections of Sonic 1 & 2 were). For their Sonic 1 port for 3DS, they used M2 to create a new version. The cost of bringing Sonic CD to the Japanese Xbox/PS3 stores would be minimal, but SoJ weren't willing to spend any money on it. In addtion, the mobile versions of Sonic 1 & 2 were released in Japan via Sega America.
    3. Taxman's Sonic 1 & 2 have been out for over a year and there's no sign of them coming to other platforms. Presumably the return Sega got from the non-mobile versions of Sonic CD wasn't high enough to justify any more platforms.
    4. Releasing on mobile is cheaper, as for the non-mobile versions of Sonic CD they had to hire Blit to produce the ports.
    5. Mobile is becoming an increasing priority for Sega. Before mobile games were outsourced, but now Sonic Team themselves are getting in on the act with Sonic Runners (which again is by Sega Networks).

Getting Sonic 3 released at all is a big enough battle in itself. Convincing them do that and then spend the extra cash on making it multi-platform might just be too much for them to do anything.

Although like I said, I am conflicted about this. I did try and track down some Sega employees so they could weigh in (as they probably would have better insight), but none of them got back to me.

This isn't true: A mobile only release is cheaper to produce than a multiplatform release. Plus, then it's two companies to approach. And as noted above, one of those companies seems to have ZERO interest in this project.

All Android devices support physical controllers (including Wiimote and PS3 controllers).
    Most Android devices can connect to TV. So the small screen/touch controllers argument is a perception issue. It's like saying you don't want the games on Steam because you don't want to play with a keyboard and mouse.

Plus, several emulators let you play Android games on PC. So while the lack of a dedicate PC release is not ideal, it's not a block to enjoying these games.