don't click here

Ring Attack TAS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by theyogwog, Dec 6, 2014.

1. theyogwog

theyogwog

S3K Analysis
    So yeah, not sure if I ever let you guys know I was working on this project as I know it's been quite a while since I last posted here, but in any case I'm just dropping by to let you guys know about it now that it's done. Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong board, I wasn't sure whether it belongs here or in Creative Works. Below the embed there's an alternate link to the video hosted on TASVideos channel and a link to the TASVideos submission page with a discussion thread and authors notes.

Enjoy.

Alternate version

Submission text on TASVideos

2. Still watching this, you sir, are on some serious crack. <3 What's that glide through floor thing you're doing? I've never seen it used in a S3K TAS before.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I just watched Angel Island and I have to say, this is insane. Can't wait to watch the rest!

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

If this were under Sonic 2 XL rules, Knuckles would be the size of a planet and the island would sink anyway. But damn this is insane. You even got some floor rings. You also showed me paths that I had no idea existed, despite playing this game for almost 20 years.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I saw this when it was submitted and it's simply awesome, if only through the sheer madness of the route alone.

6. Good God, that Marble Garden act 1 run. Wow. I couldn't even conceptualized pulling something like that off.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is beautiful. It never occurred to me that Knuckles play at the highest level would be so fluid, and I can finally say that I've seen every route in the game. You should do a separate video for Death Egg!

8. theyogwog

theyogwog

S3K Analysis
    Well, there's this.

And thanks again to everyone, you are all based.

9. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Oh man, I remember seeing this when it first came out. Leave it to Knuckles to know every nook and cranny of his island, right?

Also this screenshot I took is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of the whole run:
    [​IMG]

10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Hahaha, looks like he's imitating Kirby trying to suck up all the rings

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Hold up. At around 1:40 in AIZ1, aren't you passing over one unbroken ring monitor and 3-4 ungrabbed rings on your way over to the miniboss? Why aren't you grabbing them?

12. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Keep watching. They're collected during the second act.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I... see. But why were they saved for Act 2 instead of Act 1, if you don't mind me asking?

14. Felik

Felik

Because he used that monitor to get to Sonic's part of the level after beating act 1 miniboss which is normally unreachable by Knuckles. Normally if you use that monitor to get to Sonic' miniboss area before beating act 1, the camera would lock onto Knuckles' miniboss area (which is significantly lower) whilst he is in Sonic's rendering miniboss unbeatable.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Alright, seems like a more-than-acceptable explanation to me. Thanks for humoring me, anyway.

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Isn't it humiliating to know that someone can beat the entire game faster while collecting all rings than you can while playing it casually?

In any case, awesome video! I was especially blown away when you glitched your way through Launch Base and ended fighting Sonic's final boss.

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    So S3K doesn't have a PERFECT ring bonus, that's disappointing.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I figure it probably doesn't have that because in normal game play it's impossible to get some of the rings since they're on other paths. It's also a harder game to backtrack, and there are those rings that you just plain can't get unless you clip through the floor or luckily have an electric shield.

Hell it's better to not have a perfect bonus than to have one but have it in such a way that it's impossible to get a perfect in half the levels (looking at you SA2, with your 0,0 coordinate rings just floating in space...)

19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    So that's why I could get a PERFECT in City Escape, but not in Metal Harbour.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, SA2 has some strangely misplaced rings. There's one in GHZ that's right under the start. I know there are other levels where this is true, but I don't know which ones.