don't click here

Don't know who might care, but Sonic X for Leapfrog Leapster

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Posting this ASAP in case of interest - I haven't checked the ROM nor do I even know if there's any emulator for this platform, and I'm downloading a batch of Sega Pico ROM dumps that were released the same day first. But I figured I'd quote this Team-Europe post in the no-intro forums to let you folks know that it seems Sonic X for Leapfrog Leapster has been ROM dumped, and I assume you guys are gonna be working on playing and dissecting it soon enough.

ALSO, dat extracted intro... damn you, Chris Thornydyke!... And WHAT IS WITH THAT ART STYLE?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Weird. It's all in that weird vector-y flash/illustrator style. It's nice that it's fully animated, but it looks weird, and they couldn't even be bothered to keep it consistent in the title screen where they just used the shows promo art.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Chris has some crazy eyebrows.

4. Felik

Felik

Can you explain what are these? Are these games or cartoons or what?

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Edutainment Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsIOa_uSCM

The only thing noteworthy are the "new" sprites added to Sonic's Sonic 3 sprites used in the game, most of the poses modeled off of Sonic Advance entries.

Unless you love solving elementary level math riddles, then this game is for you. :specialed:

6. Leapfrog Leapster is an edutainment-oriented game console. Or at least that's how it was so marketed. Sonic X is a game on it. Second-hand opinions of it I've heard state it to be awful, but I didn't quite expect something like that animated intro.

7. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Graphics are uncompressed in 4BPP GBA format. However, I don't know where the palette data is stored.

8. Felik

Felik

Those character sprites look pretty good. I'd love to have a better look at them.

9. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    My friend's little brother had this game. I only caught glimpses of it because I wasn't really interested in it. I'm sure it's long gone by now.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Weird. So instead of just using the Advance sprites, which honestly would have made more sense, they used Sonic 3's sprites and actually made up new Sonic 3 style sprites, even going so far as to make up ones for Amy... although that balancing pose looks kind of familiar. E-122 Psi what do you think, is that one of yours?

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I remember the Sonic game being mentioned somewhere...there was a new Sonic 3 style sprite which had a thumbs up pose, and I edited it/used it in my hack.

12. So I tried doing a proper "HD" recording by ripping the flash from fastswf and playing it back, but I somehow got this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbinW3_U8RE

Probably because I was using Media Player Classic, but yeah~

Anyway, this video is mostly good for seeing those details that get cropped out when viewing the animation as standard/intended.

13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    "So remember kids, don't use robots in a math contest against hedgehogs!"

I...I won't...okay...what?

14. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Be careful not to get trapped in Eggman's super sucky machine ( ?° ?? ?°)

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Heh yeah, Flash doesn't really have a direct way to crop the image so borders like that are usually put there to do the job just in case, I know I've made borders like that when I've done animations in Flash before.

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    A friend has this game and made a complete longplay video a while back, maybe you're interested

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    New Sonic 3-style sprites? Color me interested, I'll take a look and see if I can dump these somehow (unless someone already has).

edit: urg these misaligned sprites and palettes... why those ball sprites aren't centered in a 4x4 or at least in the same position as each other is beyond me, and it looks like they didn't try and line up the color shades either (the palette you see here is from S3&K with entries swapped around a bit to find something vaguely recognisable)

Not going to be a simple job unless someone finds the palettes and sprite mappings...

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    check my last post on the previous page, in the previous topic there was some Sonic X and Sonic DI-DJ research and some of it could be useful to you since sprites were a main point of discussion.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Just read through that whole thread, looks like it was all about the DI-DJ though. Which is interesting in its own right, but it looks like all the sprites there have already been cracked. No technical info on X (which makes sense since the ROM was only released a few days ago).