don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's probably the best Sonic statue to be made in the 90s.

And with that, here's to you post 8000... good lord I post too much.

2. Xilla

Xilla

If anyone wants to see highlights of the 1993 Sega European Grand Prix, click here.

Press the 2 button on the right hand side, the highlights begin at the 5 minute mark. It's possibly Senna's most famous race, mostly due to the opening lap alone.

Look out for the grid girls wearing different costumes to what they usually wear ;)/> 7:28 for that one.

Segment 3, 1:04 for the footage of Senna with the Sonic trophy.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Derp. Can't believe I missed the obvious "EAN" on the end of the sign on the left. Oh well, it was the one I was thinking of in the first place (albiet with a different name, it was still in England =P)

4. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Expect it to be uncommented, I'm only doing an S3 disasm to heavily look up on it's unique subroutines that S3K doesn't have, and comment them. I still don't know how a faster way to go through code in IDA Pro though, as I have to go through and label which is which, one by one. If you are curious or willing to help me out, shoot me a PM.

5. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Out of boredom and morbid curiosity today, I decided to look through my god-awful Sonic fan website from 2002, to see what exactly is still intact on there.

I noticed I'd made this page with some Sonic R beta screenshots that, apparently, were sent to me by JohnnyUK way back in the day. They don't actually appear to be on the wiki here, from what I can tell, but unfortunately I have no idea where they were scanned from. Do they look familiar to anyone? It'd be nice if we could track down the source of these scans and get them redone in a nicer quality, but I don't mind cropping these ones (someone's put captions on a couple of them) and adding them to the wiki if not.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    "If you don't have 40 rings, you're stuffed."

Well, we've established it's definitely a British publication. Maybe it's one of those Official SEGA Saturn Magazines?

7. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Yep those are from Official Sega Saturn Mag UK, August 1997 issue 22. First time they featured the game I believe.

8. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Some trivia about balancing animations in S3K, for what it's worth...

Sonic is the only character who cannot crouch (or spindash) while balancing (try it). Tails and Knuckles can crouch (and spindash) while balancing, but cannot look up. However, if you do crouch while balancing as those characters, you'll always be facing away from the platform you're on - if you're standing on a left edge for example, and you hit right, so long as you go back into your balancing animation the game will force you to face left regardless.

Sonic is also the only character who has 2 different balancing animations. Tails and Knuckles only have one. Also, which one of Sonic's two animations is displayed isn't determined by which direction you're facing - but by how close to the edge you are.

11. Is there a similar behaviour in Sonic 2?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is it just me, or in Sonic 1 in Marble Zone, doesn't the lava kind of look like a palette swap for the cloud graphics?

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

I can see where you might see the similarities, but no, they're separate tiles.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    So this is a question for the UK folk here. Did any of you see in a computer magazine like CVG, Gamesmaster, or Sonic the Comic a competition to find a green echidna in Sonic 3 with sphere feet and spikes on them? There was some prize money to be won if you found it. It was meant to be some kind of April fools joke only for it to backfire on them and own up that it was only for a prank when someone sent in a picture of glitched screen shot with a green echidna in there.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I don't remember that in Sonic the Comic, maybe in the Official SEGA Magazine or something?

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Just for fun (although lava has four colours and sky has five, so it isn't great):

[​IMG]

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I thought that, depending on the direction you're facing, Knuckles would have a longer initial animation for balancing?

18. Titan

Titan

UK
    I remember this, and I'm sure it was in the Official Sega Magazine. Think they said his name was 'Rankles'. I remember spending ages trying to find him :P

19. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I dunno what you've broken in Cz, but Sonic can crouch from balance too in the original game. ;) He has the same behaviour as the others of always facing oblivion - since there's only one applicable balancing animation for standing in a particular spot, the animation has to face the intended direction to look correct, so it's a lazy way of achieving that effect that didn't have any consequences until crouching from balance was allowed in S&K. (It's not possible in S3 or any previous games.)

Yes, but it doesn't apply to Sonic's non-severe balancing animation, since there's both a back and a forward version. You can't crouch, but you can check it by jumping straight up.

Quite so - there are a few extra frames at the start if you were facing right to begin with, but he is always made to face right once the animation begins, as you'll see if you try to spindash.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Huh, weird. I don't recall touching any of that code, and I'm certain I remember being annoyed that you couldn't crouch while balancing in S3K many years before I started Cz. Must have been remembering S3 alone!