don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Felik

Felik

What the fuck are you talking about? Some people are surprised and upset that someone somewhere gave Boom a 10/10 for some reason. I don't see how it is surprising and explained exactly why it happens. No more no less.

I haven't played Boom so I can't tell for myself. But I've played a dozen of games which had scores of 5-6/10 yet gave me genuine enjoyment and I would honestly give them a 9-10/10 if I had to give a score.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I've seen some crazy bugs in Boom before, but after watching this in full- this is the most beautiful disaster of a game I've ever seen. :v: I think I want Sonic Boom now just to see how I can break it, and what shortcuts they took to model the levels. It's hilarious seeing distant texture billboards in all their low-poly, low-res glory from an aerial view. That's giving me nostalgia chills from floating around Majora's Mask's and Ocarina of Time's maps with cheats, when I was a kid; couldn't stop laughing when I realized the sky box was literally a box the whole time.

That's the same fear I have. I don't know exactly what the Japanese side of SEGA's politics are like, but they seem pretty haughty from over here. It's kind of amusing that Sonic has the larger parts of the fanbase in the UK and US, (I still haven't met an actual Japanese fan.) yet refuse to cater to it. If SEGA were to let a legit third-party studio handle Sonic for a change, we might see some interesting games from outside of Sonic Team too.

I had big hopes for Big Red Button. The idea of some of the guys that coined the term "Sonic's Ass Game" coming full circle with a Sonic game of their own was exciting. It's a real shame every big name working under their roof were laid off, without a care in the world if the biggest rep-building title, that could've given BRB a household name because of Sonic, was going to suffer for it. I would be surprised if they were commissioned to handle anything ever again at this point; nobody ever thought Sonic 06 could be topped.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's precisely what happens... People buy these things regardless of how bad they are.

4. At this point, I'm almost suspecting this was a sort of scheme the higher-ups at BRB may have had - willfully taking advantage of people who would buy Sonic games regardless of the quality by producing a game that's shit. Firing the vast majority of the staff, including all the big names behind the game, would enable them to maximize their own profits by depriving employees of the pay they rightfully deserve, as well as scapegoating those employees when having to explain to Sega why the game was so lacking in quality.

In a way, this makes it sound even WORSE than Aliens: Colonial Marines. Even Gearbox wouldn't stoop so low, would it?

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ...I think it's now fair to say that the Nintendo exclusivity partnership has been a complete bust.

Now whether "Nintendo got ripped off" on the deal, that's another matter. :v:

7. It doesn't exactly need to set alight the sales charts to be profitable, though.

In fact, this isn't even the best comparison because most of the games on top charts are front-loaded in regard to sales. Sonic Boom's make-it-or-break-it sales-wise will be starting during the Christmas season. It also probably doesn't need to sell those kind of numbers to be considered a profitable venture, considering how little budget was actually spent on the game.

8. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I am pissed that the game gets a 1/10 as well. No game should really get a 1/10. Even Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric has some redeemable qualities and I was never insinuating otherwise. I mean, they managed to get CryEngine3 working on the Wii U. As bad as the result was, that's still an accomplishment. It does appear that you've overlooked what I've said twice though. It's not about getting pissed off at ratings been thrown around, it's why this is happening and what led to it. I understand that people may like the game and feel it warrants it, but ignoring problems and blatant issues doesn't make them non-existent. I'm just as annoyed that, what I thought would be a positive thing to do (give my own opinion and help people when deciding to purchase this game, or not), has turned into a negative thing. I never wanted that to happen.

I'd like to clarify that the word buying in that sentence isn't strictly true. I won the competition here on Sonic Retro for a free copy of the game, courtesy of GerbilSoft; I'll initially being paying for the game and have the money refunded to me (as I'm in the UK). I see what you mean, though. Typically, if a Sonic game isn't to a standard I'd like to promote through a purchase, I'll buy it second-hand as, that way, SEGA see none of my money. Also, in regards to my collection, when it's as close as it is to completion (I have 90/93 PAL Sonic games), I'd rather not give up the opportunity to acquire it for free or second-hand, as is the case here.

To be fair, you guys are right. Am I a hypocrite for telling people not to buy the game but doing so myself? Probably, yes. But I have my reasons, which I have outlined above. The only person who should be worrying about that is me. I'm sorry if I caused any disruption.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    $20 million was spent on the game, twice as much as Sonic Colours. And if it's selling so badly now that it doesn't even appear in the charts, then I highly doubt that it'll sell much better during Christmas season.

10. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    So, Rise of Lyric has
    - Disastrous development cycle
    - Disastrous marketing
    - Disastrous reviews
    - Disastrous word of mouth
    - Disastrous sales
    - Is compared to Sonic 06, considered a disaster of a game
    - Sonic 06 has the Flames of Disaster

So logically:

[​IMG]

11. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I feel guilty about this. I also bought the game only for collection. I haven't finished yet and I don't know if I will do sometime.

It's really a shame how things turn now. I don't know if this can be compared with, for example, Sonic Chronicles that was developed by Bioware. The 3DS version is better than the WiiU but also flacks with the Gateways and Badges.

I also don't like when a game gets an 1/10, because that note for me means that the game is isn't a game or the developer didn't make any effort to make a game, or to finish.

12. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Has Sega or Big Red Button even mentioned the game publically since release?

Not even appearing in the Top 40 is (in my opinion) pretty dreadful, especially considering how little in the terms of new games are out now.

Oh dear oh dear.

(and I HAVE bought the game for my little boy for xmas, yes he did actually ask for it lol - (and to have a go myself and give my own opinion)

13. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Eurogamer review and Nintendolife review for Rise of Lyric

Eurogamer - 2/10; Nintendolife - 4/10.

Reading the comments in the Eurogamer review are so depressing. Not because of the amount of "Sonic needs to die" but instead the insinuations that the series was never good to begin with. The series has been plagued with so many mediocre/terrible games that people are convinced this is the actual case concerning the franchise. :/

14. So, if the sales for Sonic Boom in the UK, where Sonic arguably has the biggest fanbase in the world, are awful, I wonder how bad the US sales are.

15. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    It helps that the television show the games are supposedly based on aren't hitting UK airwaves until an entire year later. /sarcasm

Anyway, Rise of Lyric in the US apparently charted at #26 in the US, but take it with a pinch of salt as that was reported by "100% guaranteed unreliability" VGChartz.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Turn that pinch of salt into a truckload.

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    http://youtu.be/AJpTNfZmYSw

Anyone up for watching some actually-interesting people play Rise of Lyric?

18. serpx

serpx

What we need is leadership in this fanbase to take over the franchise. Illegally. Create games and whatever else because unless Sonic Team is working on the greatest Sonic game of all time, the end of this franchise doesn't seem too far away unfortunately.

I've been watching people play this game, and man, I thought 06 quality was a thing in the past.

19. The keyword is that SEGA spent $20 million.

The game does not look like an actual honest-to-goodness $20 million budget game by a long shot. Your very testimony on Sonic Colors can show that. Whoever the heads of "Big Red Button" are went with the bare minimum.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It comes with the territory with bad Sonic game exposure. Called it with the Game Grumps episodes, which did in fact happen.