don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I uh...

I think I understand the feelings of those who sincerely mean it when they say "I quit Sonic" now.

2. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
  3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A 5? I was expecting they'd destroy this. That's far too generous. Hell they rated sonic colors worse than that.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Different reviewer, Jim Sterling left Destructoid a long time ago.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I know that but still. Simply out of principle.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So I'm playing Shattered Crystal...

[​IMG]

You need to collect extra stuff to unlocking new levels, like how in Unleashed you had to collect medals to progress.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    SEGA really needs to take a page out of Portal's book and stop padding their sonic games games with frustrating gatekeeping mechanisms. Most people play the 'action' bits over and over again once they're all unlocked anyways.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Gatekeeping concepts have no place in a Sonic game. Yeah, people expect lengthy play times for some reason out of platformers, but part of the joy of a platformer, especially Sonic, is being able to play without having to worry about collectathon gates. This worked from Sonic 1 to even Sonic 2006. Even worked in Sonic Generations. I don't see why they insist on bringing it back.

9. Lambda

Lambda

I know when I play ANY platformer, all I care about is progression. I want to be constantly moving towards my goal. Stuff like this is just annoying. It just punishes the player for playing the game the way they want to play it.

Every company needs to learn from Valve, man. There are things they got right in 2004 with Half-Life 2, that I think lots of other FPS games STILL don't understand. Giving the player control and letting them play at their own pace (but manipulating the player's play-style with level design) is a tactic that's often SO overlooked. Especially by SEGA... which is funny because they used to do that all the time with Sonic 1-3K.

Also, CURSE THAT SOUND! I'm in the quiet section of the library, and everyone must be wondering what the heck I'm doing. :P

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that's what stopped me from finishing Sonic Rush Adventure... That, and having to do the same fucking minigame when going from place to place.

11. The gatekeeper system is made even worse because of the bottlenecks in the levels that'll force you down the wrong path, then you can't go back, and you have to play through the entire stage yet AGAIN. Oy...

12. Retroman

Retroman

Now it sounds like Donald Duck straining in the toilet XD

13. Always thought it sounded more like this. :P

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Shotsfired.jpg

Anyways, BRB is canceling interviews left and right. seems were getting some things right by all of our guessing:
    https://twitter.com/TheChaosBlue/status/535467784776716288

15. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/back-to-basics/

[​IMG]

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Here's Jim Sterling's (the guy who didn't like Sonic Colors meaning everyone hates him) review: http://www.thejimquisition.com/2014/11/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-review/

17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  18. NHY

NHY

Looking through all this because who doesn't love watching a train wreck?

No seriously though, this is pretty grim and depressing. When are Sega going to learn that unrealistic deadlines simply DON'T WORK. The game would probably still have turned out iffy even with all the development time in the world. BRB is done for by the looks of things and fans are frankly, fed up being dicked around.

19. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This really has got to make you wonder what Sega are actually thinking!

Seeing the low sale and ridiculous review scores what must they be thinking, are they that arrogant that they actually just ignore this kind of disaster and carry on as though nothing happened!

It gets me so angry thinking about it all.

Especially when I only just found out earlier that a few years ago Sega rejected a new Jet Set Radio game or the wii! :-(

20. Retroman

Retroman

Super Dolan :v: