don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)

It actually fits surprisingly well.

2. Since we're probably gonna be doing this in every possible parody imaginable, how about I request one for the scene were Sonic tries to trick Metal Robotnik into thinking he's drowning, from the Sonic OVAs?

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So how about that Worm Tunnel music?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onf-lskxe3I

4. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    http://youtu.be/MBru9KjOBE0

...Sure, why not.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    My level of respect for this game just tripled.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Jb3A0HLe4

I know it's another Grump episode, but just watch the first bit. Barry spends 6 minutes breaking the down every graphical glitch in the first segment of the game. Crazy to see the frame-by-frame.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yeah, it's even more noticeable now that I've watched that.

Which means I've started a new file, because...I dunno, why not? I didn't hate it. Anyway, something kinda funny just happened. I was just fighting Lyric's bots before the fab four enter the tomb, and Sonic shouted "Send my greetings to Lyric!"

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Interesting. They were still having engine issues this late.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In fairness this probably happens in Sonic Adventure (2), so at least they're consistent!

Although I could watch an entire video on this sort of thing alone. It's fairly obvious to me why it happens - I was thrust into the Unreal Engine once and the multiple layers of noise an engine like that adds makes you start to doubt your abilities as a programmer. It's not so much the logic behind transitioning between game and cutscene, it's wrestling the engine's implementations of you would go about doing that.

It feels like it's one of those situations where you can't just spawn a "blank" scene - the engine always plonks a playable character in there unless you specifically tell it not to. The easy way is to kill things on the next frame, the hard (and proper) way is to dig deep-ish into the engine's code to force it not to spawn anything, which in turn might break other things. My hunch is that this goes right back to the structure of Doom or Quake - games where you'll never have a situation where the camera is detached from the player.

There'll be tons of games out there where you'll hear the character land on a platform somewhere even if you're not supposed to - used to happen in Half-Life mods quite a bit IIRC, and as said, it's everywhere in Sonic Adventure. Making real-time cutscenes which share assets with normal gameplay can be really awkward.

Although saying this... it's 2014 and they're meant to be professionals. You really have to question the project's direction - clearly the programmers bit off more than they could chew (which often happens), but someone should have stepped in earlier and forced them to use something that they're comfortable with. Instead, lots of headaches and inevitably resignations. You can't learn without teachers and meet strict deadlines at the same time*.

*do not mention John Carmack, the id Software approach was to release things "when they're done", which presumably factored in this sort of thing.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Nearly every decision to teleport characters was made because in terms of performance, caching an object is always faster at runtime than instantiating and deleting it. The thing is that, while utilizing the existing scene is faster, it is not always easier. This is actually one example where, from a technical standpoint, Sonic 06 is a much worse game than Sonic Boom. In Sonic 06, we see that they did take the approach of clearing and instantiating the entire scene for even minor changes and the loading times became extreme as a result.

I think the problem is that they were trying to use something they were comfortable with, but were forced to use it in a context that wasn't ideal. Getting Cryengine3 to work on the Wii-U took considerable time and effort and hamstrung the development process. Instead of using something they were comfortable with, they should have chosen an engine that works better on the platform they had targeted. Also, do remember that (it is currently believed) they lost huge numbers of staff during production. That will kill any game, even a great one. Sonic Boom for the wii-u never had a chance.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    [​IMG]

And yes, it is Amy saying this.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Normally I'd say that the Game Grumps yet again are not paying attention, but this time I have to agree. Where the fuck are you supposed to go? There is not indication of any of it. You're just shoved in some Hub world and they're like "Go for it"

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Great! I wasn't the only one who noticed it in Sonic Adventure then. At least that explains why you hear that weird footstep sound ALL. THE. TIME.

14. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    The footstep sound trigger is directly tied to the game detecting a collision with a surface within specified angles. If you hear it more often than expected, it means the collision detection system is checking multiple times 'just to be sure'. You can safely assume that the collision detection system is trying to smooth over a known bug by checking liberally.

The state of the art was abit different back then, so the idea of a sound clash-timer wasn't exactly standard practice. And on top of that, collision detection methods of the time were less precise, so you got more of that double-firing. These days, if you use a standard implementation, you're less likely to encounter that kind of situation.

15. Retroman

Retroman

OH I GET IT! SONIC'S DROWNING SOUND! :v:

But I got to admit, the first part sounds like a furious Donald Duck
    [​IMG]

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Surprised not to have seen someone mix the drowning with Scatman John yet.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  18. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
  19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  20. TimmiT