don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I was keeping my expectations so low. So freaking low. Yet despite all of that, BRB still were able to disappoint.

I'm very curious about how Sega deals with western developers working on the Sonic franchise. I'm not inclined to believe that BRB is as bad as this game seems to be suggesting. So what's going on? We know that it was originally going to be on next gen consoles (since we saw the tech demo of the engine a couple years ago that in no way could have possibly been running on WiiU), and I'm wondering how much time Sega gave BRB to strip down the game to work on the WiiU, and how much time they had been developing the game before it became WiiU exclusive (if it was even a Sonic game to begin with from the time the first tech demo was revealed as an "Unnamed Project").

I really hope a member of BRB does an AMA, anonymous or otherwise, at some point soon. There's got to be so much more going under the surface than just "they made a crappy game." Sega's history with the franchise and how it's been managed in the past hast to account for something here. I'd place my bets on a conjunction of poor planning on Sega's part, cramming a game that was never meant to be able to run on the WiiU onto the system, and overall poor management. I want to believe BRB wanted to make a good game.

2. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
  3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  4. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
  5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Ah, P4R. I love this site. It kinda reminds me of The Onion, except gaming focused, and actually funny, and they don't just run variants on the same tired article over and over again (person does ordinary thing).

On-topic I, too, want to know what on earth happened to this game. Considering its development time and budget, it shouldn't have turned out this bad unless something went hideously wrong during development.

6. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    How is the game OST?

I haven't played the demo yet..

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is definitely of interest.

Some months ago, a supposed RoL play tester on 4chan leaked lots of info about the game, but it went under the radar. It included things like Metal Sonic appearing right at the start, Shadow being seen on a cliff at the start and then being a miniboss and most telling of all, a tall pink girl in the second hub world. None of this info was revealed until much, much later on. And while anyone could reasonably have guessed that Shadow and Metal would appear, he's too specific for it to be an easy coincidence, and there's no way he could have guessed so much about Perci.

He goes on to mention that the next Sonic game from Japan is under development and is currently called "Sonic Runners" (whether or not that's tentative we don't know). Doesn't confirm anything, but it's something to keep in mind for sure.

The other cool thing is, this guy knows Sonic. This is his idea for a Sonic game:
    Jet Set Sonic. Please, SEGA. Please...

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    How did everyone miss that guy? Seems to be really in the know. Sonic Runners seems to imply the parkour system may reappear. Love his idea for level progression too. But since we have to stick to talking to Boom right now, I've been thinking about the fact that the game is only coming out on WiiU so at least it's damage will be limited as opposed to going out to all platforms. Let it die a small and relatively unceremonious death.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Speaking of which, guess this means the end of Western Developed Sonic games. Shame I really wanted to see a original TaxStealth Sonic game. :(

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    We didn't miss him, I remember at the time we discussed the stuff, just wasnt worth it discussing that much since we'd need Boom to come out to confirm his legitimacy.

Incidentally, what he had to say regarding why SEGA won't use Classic Sonic

11. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    [​IMG]

How I feel about everything in this game.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wait I'm confused so SoJ gave up on Sonic after Heroes or Japan gave up on Sonic after Heroes. Or both?

And if Classic's so childish why does classic's merchandise sell better than the modern stuff? :colbert:

EDIT: Oh and childish? It's a series aimed towards kids primarily! FFS

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    he seems to be saying he only recently discovered sega gave up on sonic being a success in japan after heroes

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Wouldn't that be the other way around? SEGA Japan has a far bigger say in these things than SEGA America.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm still wondering if there's any weight to the conspiracy theory that Sega wanted out of the Wii U 3-game deal, saw this idea pitched, then said "make it WiiU only" in order to get the third game of the deal done with, so their next game would be multiplatform and have a chance of selling in MUCH higher than Wii U numbers. In this scenario it wouldn't matter how bad the game does because the entire project would be something that could be cut loose at the earliest opportunity - though obviously ideally it'd make its money back, the fact it's an exterior team would help save any face.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    To be fair if I saw a dude on 4chan posting about a new Sonic game with his own name made up for what it's gonna be I'd probably disregard it until further notice too

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The next game is supposedly "everything but Wii U". I completely expect the people who whined about Wii U exclusivity to come back and complain about the Wii U being left out because that cuts off a sizable chunk of the audience. (Except we all know that won't happen, because in reality what they wanted was the ability to pirate the Windows version.)

18. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    He also mentioned that his team are all fans of Sonic

but the higher ups don't give a damn about the game since they know it's going to sell. Apparently they call it "All 4 One" in the office since they know it's just an action ripoff with a Sonic skin.

It's tragic really.

19. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I'm amazed that the decision was made to hand this game off to a company with zero previously shipped titles. Didn't anyone think that was a red flag? At all?

Fixed that for you.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is Sonic. Maybe these were the only guys who didn't run away?

Also