don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

https://twitter.com/Cobanermani456/status/531562673625108480?p=v

It just gets worse.

2. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Gonna be honest, that made me just a little hyped for the game. I've been watching videos of the glitches in 06 recently, and I desperately hope the ones here are anywhere near as funny.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I've been looking to pick up 06 lately for that purpose, but FFS it's still like $20. I'd pay maybe 5, and it wouldn't be nearly as fun now that I'm sober :colbert:

Sonic 06 is like the game equivalent of the room. Past "It's so bad it's good" and "It's so bad it's awful" levels, it finds that rare level of "It's so bad it's hilarious." Maybe this will find it too.

4. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I got Sonic 2006 last year, expecting "It's so bad it's so good" and got "It's so bad it's awful" feeling. =P

Sonic Boom atleast, looking for it, still looks a lot better and fun than Sonic 2006 (also, better than Lost World IMO)

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

[​IMG]

The original tech demo for this game (before we knew it was Sonic) and the February trailer looked fantastic. I'll bet all my money on the Wii U never being the original intended platform for this game, yet alone the sole one. Games rarely look as good as their tech demos, this much is obvious, but it looks a lot worse now than the initial reveal and certainly not 2014 Wii U standards at all.

6. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Slightly baffled by the show and not in a good way. Even for an episodic series those first two episodes weren't very welcoming for a new viewer. It's like it expected you to know Sonic already. Sticks, Knuckles, and Amy are just sort of there. The CGI is pretty nice looking but the animation has no weight and stiff as a board when action starts to happen. The VAs are the best they've ever been, but the writing and voice direction is really lacking even for a kids show. Eggman is of course the best thing about the series once again. There isn't much you can do in 11 minute episodes though.

As for the game, why is everything so fucking clunky? None of that movement connects together at all. It's all jerky and wonky with the characters snapping into place. Hell even increasing the pace so running was a little faster wouldn't have hurt the "overworld" areas if they could get the characters and camera to not fritz every time you use them. There was more to the other aspects than what I was expecting so it looks like the game had some sort of direction but really flubbed the basics.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]

Put the thread in party mode.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Swing yer partner left an' right...~

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Oh god, not that. Not. That.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]

Tails, stop clipping through rocks in cutscenes.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm sure Sega of Japan is about to get some angry emails from Nintendo of Japan in regards to how the "exclusive 3 game deal" led to three duds. And then Sega of Japan will yell at Sega of America about this

13. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I just pissed myself. I can't feel my sides. Better than any stand-up I've watched in years.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't see why Nintendo would be mad at SEGA.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

A challenge: say something nice about this cutscene.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDCzoqhjP7M

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

It puts the Big Red Butt in Big Red Button?

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    -Knuckles' pop in
    -shadows popping in
    -random old people are senile humor (I LIKE ROCKY ROAD)
    -the ship flying in
    -the ship's shadow jerking around as it moved out of camera
    -you can see the ship popping out of existence.

+Knuckles' idle animation

There, I said one nice thing.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    BRB better have a MOTHER of a patch coming otherwise this game will be the New Sonic 2006. honestly has BRB seen the shit were bringing up? they must've got wind of it by now.

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Looks like it met expectations.

[​IMG]

20. It's very hard to believe this had a $20 million dollar budget and a 32-month dev cycle (There are some saying that was actually the total budget for the entire Sonic Boom franchise, but even if that was the case, the cartoon would've had a fraction of the budget of the Wii U game simply based on how animation is traditionally budgeted compared to games, especially as this is a comedy series in the "two shorts" format - and yet that looks significantly better), yet looks significantly worse than anything else Sega published on the Wii U, from the launch All-star Racing: Transformed to Bayonetta 2.

Who's to be blamed for this? This is probably jumping the gun a lot, but I'm having a hunch that Sega got Colonial Marine'd all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega never wants to do a collab with an outside western developer again after the critical reception to this (and when you consider Sonic Chronicles and Colonial Marines, that's basically "three strikes, you're out!"). Considering how many thought the devvers of this game made promising titles before this, my impression is that they didn't take the Sonic brand seriously at all and phoned everything in with the least effort possible. Some may argue that meddling between executives or interference from Sega might've caused the development troubles, but if that was the case there'd be signs of the struggle in development with some moments that show genuine effort - after all, even Sonic 06 had solid cutscene production and music composition/direction, and, holy heck, looked graphically better than this.

I think anyone's fears of this "replacing" the previous Sonic incarnation can't hold much water anymore after this - even if the game sells decently, this is essentially the new "Sonic 06" in how broken and glitched the game is, keeping Sonic's reputation stained for another 8 or so years.