don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

When Y controller key is pressed. Its actually an RGB overlay, instead of red. I was kind of out of it when I was describing this to Cooljerk last night. The x key makes the level vanish. to me this looks like a Visual test to see the frame rate when the level is on or offscreen. But yeah with the demo as it is right now, it could be interpreted in so many ways with current compiled code. I think we should hold off on assuming what the level's purpose is for until we get a final build from Jollyroger.

A few sonic websites are already spinning rumors out of control and screwing up facts with assumptions . I think this is a real nightmare ! There is so much damage that it will be hard to set things strait now. ( some people are saying this is only POV build for example. You guys ! We have 2 POV code sets and also have 3 versions of STI CODE. They seem to be at different stages of porting from the original engine to NV1 and then to Saturn. the newest files in the newest version date from date 21 June 1996.(STI version code)

The Saturn test here is actually a STI build because its Ofer's code running on Sega Saturn. This build has nothing to do with POV besides the fact that it was passed to POV , perhaps meant as a potential starting point or reference for Point of view to use.
    Also as I posted before there are 3 sti builds and 2 POV builds. We have no idea what are in the POV builds at the moment.
    And from the looks of the def files , it does not appear at this point in time that we may not have the latest STI builds. Looking at the assets it looks as STI passed some older builds of the engine over to STI , They appear older without the cool expanding paths. but who knows that surface in the future.

Anyhow
    Besides the texture color change,, which may be by vertex color...this is also what the screen looks like when Sonic is centered on screen as described above by Cooljerk. (
    the camera does not zoom in on sonic or anything of the like)
    [​IMG]

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Have you tried running in Yabause? You could use the debugger/memory viewer to change the camera/Sonic's coords on the map to see more...

EDIT: By the way, it's weird that people are still touting the Jade Gully Saturn proto as the "NiGHTS" engine build. It isn't. It's using the Sega 3D Game Library and I think the Sega Basic Library (according to IDA Pro and the Saturn game module signatures). NiGHTS didn't use any of these and I think was developed in-house...

Image of the disassembly I was working on a while a go of the JG build.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yes I've tried in Yabause as mentioned a page or 2 back., did not use the debug there.

EDIT: I've updated the info in my post above yours EVIL.
    Also to elaborate on how the community can screw things up... kurisu posted this on his forums recently...

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Something else that I want to add ... In a private Email to Mike Wallis which I posted about Nemours times on the forums which goes ignored and should be added to the wiki ! so people get this correct or something in the future!

Mike Says:

Also some corrections to my post above:

JR suspects that POV started working on a variant of Ofers's code, and someone at POV worked on it too before reaching this stage
    What JR means is that it is a variant of Ofer's code which perhaps was modified by POV.
    When he refers to STI code he means anything that comes originally from Ofer's engine, then perhaps modified by POV
    And when he refers to POV code, he means a tech demo based completely on POV's own internal engine, which has nothing to do with Ofer's code, or almost nothing.

Jollyroger also states

5. This all seems fairly complicated to me and stuff, so I'll suppose I'll just say that I hope that from all this, an ISO I can boot on my Saturn (I got my crazy disk swap shit ready!) that can let me play something resembling (even if far from complete) the Sonic Xtreme that was promised to me in the Saturn era would be my ideal when this is all done. Besides that, this is all very appreciated and this will probably be the biggest discovery of the Sonic scene until that Sonic 1 Tech Demo comes around.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    With some more grueling code monkey work on Jollyroger's part......
    We present to you......

The real deal!

You are now bearing witness to History here ! This is the very first Video of the official Sonic Xtreme with Fisheye running in SSF Emulator. Lets give Jollyroger a very special thanks for Making this a reality. He's not done going threw and debugging the Source code just yet, There may be some bugs that he'll be able to fix.
    ( some visual issues may also be due to running in the emulator)

http://youtu.be/JNCeVNOhdIM

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow. Is the video sped up? I thought the thing was supposed to run at 3 FPS on the Saturn.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    That could be the case, since this is in an emulator . We will have to wait till its working on actual Hardware.

9. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    So what we see in the video is a test level for the engine, huh?

10. As buggy and glitchy and fast as it looks, it's amazing to think that this is new footage of the real deal. That's crazy. I'm loving all of these little updates too.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So what was the problem before since Sonic can move now?

12. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    As said on the other forum - awesome stuff guys!!

Can't beleive how quickly you're making progress!!

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The texture change there is gouraud shading. On the Saturn it works as a sort of rgb overlay over the drawn primitive. Except that it isn't really an overlay but more of a colour pixel value addition, ie. the gouraud shading colours pixel value is added to the colour value of whatever pixel being drawn.

You can tell that it is gouraud shading because the exact same shading table (blue-green-red-purple) is applied to every draw command, not just the quads making up the landscape, but the numbers making up the HUD and the rings as well.

SSF is known to run faster than the actual Saturn, a lot of games known to slow down run either completely smooth, or faster than usual.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    New video with proper frame rate and higher res, it was slowed down using Youtube's editor.
    The next video we may not need to slow anything down , may have found a way using SSF settings.

Sonic can jump an infinite amount of times.
    http://youtu.be/PXa-kztPu3c

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe Sonic could jump infinitely to make level testing easier.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Space Queens is blaring in my mind. :P

How does it feel to play? So many have wanted to know what it was like actually controlling it.

Also is Sonic's sprite errors the actual game or just a current glitch?

17. I'm guessing frame skip is enabled in the emulator so that's why it appears to be missing sprite frames.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I was gonna say.

Anyway, this is all so so great but I'm a little concerned about something. Just a little. Let me preface this by saying I'm obviously totally ignorant as to what exactly JR is doing under the hood to get these to compile and run. But how sure can we be that they're running as intended (as well as prototypes are intended to run anyway) when it's all said and done? There isn't really a frame of reference to check against and it's all new to us anyway, but it was just something I'm curious about. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more in any case! All the hard work is more than appreciated.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So just a small vanity update as to what's been going on, at least on my end, the last few days. JR isn't going to have access to a Saturn controller bracket board for his NV1, so I've been figuring out the pinout from the daughter board using a multimeter. I was up till 3 am yesterday figuring it out. Bleeeeehhhh.... but this should help JR with his PC NV1 build.

20. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Nice, will be worth the extra effort :-)