don't click here

SonAR - Hosted by SeanieB

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Heran Bago, Apr 1, 2006.

1. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Sorry, I was talking more to Heran in the first place, but it's all moved over to a new place anyway. So the torrent doesn't have to be stressed as much.

2. Mbruno

Mbruno

Hmm, is the just down temporarily or is it gone for good? It doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It's working fine for me.

4. Mbruno

Mbruno

Yeah, it working fine for me now, too. I guess it was just some sort of temporary issue.

5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    And, low, it is down once more. The first time since it's inseption I want to actually use it to download something and it's buggered.

6. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Looks like Heran Bago lost his domain name.

Use the address http://sonar.lostsig.com/ in the mean time.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Actually I did figure out a good question to ask.

What version of Sonic R is that? There's no music, and trying to play the mounted CD as an audio cd in winamp results in the electronical equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Might be one of the Expert releases, probably the same one I've got; they didn't include the CD audio tracks due to some very strange oversight indeed. If you have the audio ripped from a legit CD you can just append it via a cue sheet (or if you have burning software that supports mixed-mode, you can create a CD with the audio that should work just fine -- the CD check doesn't actually do anything to tell if the disc is copied or not, just its presence period).

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I found a download of the Xplosiv release with the audio so I'm fine. What are the track names of the music, though? A cue sheet is still an option, because the Xplosiv release only works in DirectDraw mode on my PC.

10. dsrb

dsrb

Each of the images is ~464 MB, so they must have music; I'm not about to believe that the game program and data occupy that much space. That you received static when trying to play the music even indicates this! Probably the cue-sheet was buggered up somehow and/or the BIN file was interpreted with the wrong endianness.

Also: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_R_(album) ?

(For which I found an article on some other wiki, stating that the album might [have] been fake because it used ‘Adventure-style art’ that didn't come around till later. Pity for their claim to Sonic fandom, then, that it's clearly not as modern as Adventure – instead being more like the drawings from Japanese Sonic 3D, which fits with its release date.)

11. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Is anyone interested in the ValuSoft reissues of Sonic 3D and Sonic R? I obtained them off eBay a while back, around the same time as I made this thread in fact. They appear to be rebuilt differently from the original/more common releases after all, especially Sonic R.

They both seem very playable on my more recent Windows 7 rig, which is particularly great for R since the original always keeled over on the recent Windows OSes.

12. I'm interested in the Sonic R, if it works without issues on my Windows 7 64-bit I'd be very happy.

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Filed under "well, no one else was going to do it":

I bought a copy of Sega Classics for Palm Tungsten and Zire (yeah, I have no idea either) which includes an 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog. Dump's here. Enjoy.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How can I play these PC verisons of Sonic R without the disc?

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Easiest way is probably just rip the disc and mount in Daemon Tools. The disk checking is kinda fucked though, since it looks for the first CD drive by letter and nowhere else, so you'd probably have to reorder your drive letters.

16. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I have vague plans to update stuff with the last few posts.

The various betas and discoveries over the years are toughbut I'm considering at least linking where to get them.

17. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    Heran.

I'm sick and tired of SonAR's 90's-esque design. It's unwieldy to navigate, it's a little painful trying to pick something out from the ROM listings (especially on wide screens), the code is a mess, and it uses that ancient "NEW" animated GIF, for Pete's sake. I am thoroughly nonplussed.

That's why I made this.

It's not perfect, and obviously the ROM links aren't working since it's on a different domain, but it feels a bit nicer to me. What do you think~?

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    A lot of people tend to hate javascript, but AJAX and a dropdown that lets you choose what system would be even more swag than the Pope.

19. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    I tried to be a little conservative on this redesign. The only javascript it uses is for switching stylesheets (same as the current SonAR).

It would certainly be easier to maintain if this gigantic mess of HTML were split into multiple files and accessed through AJAX. It'd be even cooler if it used some content management system with databases and all that fancy stuff, but I'm not sure if it needs all that. The content doesn't change that often.

In any case, the main benefit of AJAX is to avoid page reloads, which this one-page design already does. :P And the dropdown on the top already lists all the systems. I suppose I could turn the table of contents into submenus instead, but I'm not sure if that would actually be better.

20. Flygon

Flygon

I admit I am not a fan of this style of dropdown menu. Too easy to lose track of where your mouse is and then you lose the menu and then you need to try and refind what option you were trying to find in the first place. :psyduck:

Clicking once to keep the menu up, even when the mouse moves away, is quite cromulent however.