don't click here

Best way to play Donkey Kong 64 through emulation?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Willie, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    So from the research I've done, it sounds like I'm best off playing DK64 with Project 64 version 1.6 with Glide 64. That sounds all fine and dandy, except the game is enormously buggy with that emulator. I considered Mupon 64 Plus, but the game isn't completable with that emulator. After dying three times in a row from fucking climbing (along with most of my deaths so far being from fucking bugs), I can't help but wonder if it's even possible to play this game in an emulator without it being unbelievably buggy. There's graphical glitches constantly and I've never experienced bugs this bad with any N64 game before. From the little I've played so far (unlocked Diddy and beat the first boss), it seems like a fun game but there is no way in hell I'm bothering to complete this game with it in this state. Considering this game's massive popularity, I imagine there must be someway I can play it in an emulator and not have it be a buggy mess. God, I hate N64 emulation. It's a shame Nintendo seems unlikely to ever release this game as a Virtual Console title, because holy fuck does this game deserve a release through that considering all this bullshit.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I remember a user of a branch of Mupen saying that switching from the Dynarec to an Interpreter core worked around some of the emulation bugs.

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Isn't the interpreter core extremely slow, even on reasonably decent hardware? I don't think I'd be comfortable with playing games for extended hours on the Interpreter, CPUs don't last forever.

Anyway, DK64 is kinda compatible with Mupen; never got past the intro, because it crashes after the dolphin scene. I absolutely loved the game on original hardware, (Got it for Christmas as a kid.) and I beat it at least twice, but I haven't been able to play the game away from an N64 for over a decade, which really freaking sucks. It was one of the N64's best collectathons, and the only DK game on the system to boot. Banjo Tooie is subject to this crashing frenzy too, and that annoys me more than DK64's emulation problems, because I only got to finish that game once on real hardware.

N64 emulation is in a depressing state compared to PSX emulation. (ePSXe has run everything I threw at it perfectly, 99% of the time without a bios file too.) If you're not using them to play Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, or Super Mario 64, you're in for a bad time. Every other game I've played on MupenPlus, 1964, or Project64, either don't work, or slow down and hiccup too much.

If you already have an N64 laying around, it might be time to get an expansion pak and the real game. (It'd be worth it, it's a great game.) RARE leaving Nintendo has not only caused problems for the developer, their old games might never be preserved in an official capacity. I hope either emulation sees improvement in general, or we start seeing more N64 clones in the future.

4. Willie

Willie

I guess I could try that with Mupen and hope for the best. If the game ends up not being completable, that'll be infuriating. :/

I don't own an N64 and hate playing N64 games on original hardware because of the lousy visuals and the god awful controller. That, and cartridges. Those tipsy pieces of shit easily lose all their game save data when something taps the damn thing while a game is playing. Considering how I'm currently taking care of seventeen cats that like to walk over and rub against everything, I'd have better luck completing the whole game through glitchy emulation than on original hardware.

5. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Dude. Dude. ... Dude.

You have too much pussy.

+ - Seriously though, I thought I was able to play Donkey Kong 64 via Project64 with minimal hiccups, somehow. It's been a while, though, so I might be misremembering. Conker's Bad Fur Day, on the other hand, ran horribly for me   .

6. Willie

Willie

My cat hoarder neighbor died half a year ago and my parents and I got stuck with his cats. We got them all fixed and found homes for some, but there's still a ton left.

Weird. From memory, CBFD ran pretty well outside of some occasional oddities (like Conker's broken drunk vision.).

7. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's a lot of cats, and that's with me knowing people with lots of cats. :specialed: I think most N64 carts use flash-memory for saving, instead of battery-backed RAM, (I know both Zeldas on the N64 do.) so you wouldn't having to worry about losing your saves all the time.

As for controllers, you can always get a Super Pad. The arrangement's not conventional, but it's far better than using a first-party analog stick. I had one myself, they're nice. DK64 looks like an early Dreamcast game, so it should be pretty nice on the TV if it's native res is 640x480. (As other Retro members told me before, most N64 games were 320x240, which is why they are so grainy on the original hardware.)

[​IMG]

8. Willie

Willie

Judging from the searching I did online, it doesn't sound like the expansion pack increased the 240i resolution to 480i. [LINK] Also, the left handle for the Super Pad 64 Plus looks awful and Hori's decent alternative to the N64 controller is insanely expensive. [LINK]

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I've heard that the Yobo N64 controllers are pretty good for the price. I've never used one personally, though.

10. Willie

Willie

[​IMG]

This looks worse than the standard N64 controller.

11. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I've always been interested in the Hori controllers, so reading through this topic I just bought one of these:

[​IMG]

If anyone's interested I can give my thoughts.

Can't say I know that much about N64 emulation, but Smash Bros and Mario Kart seemed to run playably on my old laptop on Project 64. I can see how Donkey Kong has issues though, since it needs the Expansion Pak merely to stop shitting itself. I never really rated the game much in the first place anyway, mind.

12. Willie

Willie

How much did that controller cost you?

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Those controllers look pretty cool. I love the Dreamcast and Gamecube inspiration in their design. If I get an N64 one of these days, (Might have to if I want to play Banjo Tooie and DK64 again.) ordering one of those would be tempting.

Yeah, it's just a RAM expansion, but I guess my wording wasn't clear enough.

Those controllers were surprisingly popular, (People on the Benheck forums loved using their guts in custom portable systems.) even if you think they're a bit on the ugly side, which I'd have to agree. The grip is weird. I liked having a normal analog stick with it, though.

14. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    About £50. I didn't bother to shop around.

15. What's the latest version of Project 64 you're running? They updated to 2.1 last year and was a pretty big jump in quality. IIRC, Donkey Kong 64 did work, but there were a handful of graphical glitches and I'm not sure how well it'd hold up over the course of the game.

Please do, the D-Pad in the middle makes me think games like Dr. Mario and Kirby are unplayable but besides that.

16. Willie

Willie

I tried 1.6, two versions of 1.7's beta, and 2.1. Using 2.1 has the visuals out of sync with the audio, both versions of 1.7 has visuals all fucked up in the intro, and 1.6. at least has a functioning intro, so I primarily used 1.6. From all the research I've, playing 1.6. with Glide64 seems to be the most stable way to play Donkey Kong 64. If you guys want, I can record footage with my capture card to show how absolutely broken DK 64 is with that emulator. It's an absolute mess.

17. Ah, see I didn't have sound on when playing it on 2.1. My bad! I really can't believe Nintendo 64 emulation sucks so bad. I know the hardware was kind of a mess and I imagine emulating that isn't easy, but still.

18. Willie

Willie

It would be nice if Nintendo considered releasing this game on the Wii U Virtual Console...along with other N64 games.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    From what I've read, there are two giant stumbling blocks to re-releasing DK64 on the Virtual Console:

1. Rights issues, primarily with Jetpac, one of Rare's older titles (back when they were known as Ultimate Play The Game). At one point in DK64, you have to play Jetpac (as well as a modified port of the original Donkey Kong arcade), which is embedded as a minigame, in order to access the final boss. As one would expect, Nintendo would need to negotiate with Microsoft for the rights to use Jetpac (as they own Rare and thus own essentially everything made by Rare that Nintendo didn't have the rights to). Removing Jetpac from the game isn't an available option either as that would require a lot of time altering the code for the original game to remove/replace Jetpac-which leads into the second stumbling block.
    2. Possession of the original materials used to create the original game. Though not necessary, it would be arguably be best to have the original development team and documentation (this including the source code) on hand for releasing the game on the Virtual Console (regardless through port or emulation), so little goes wrong with converting the game to a new platform. Rare being with Microsoft obviously nixes both options, with the second option being more complicated by the possibility of N64 Rare games containing code that that would allow them to be run on the Virtual Console-something Rare might have, but Nintendo might not. This possibility has some merit as people have tried to insert ROMs of N64 Rare games into Virtual Console files, to minimal/no success.

Concerning the N64 emulation preferences, I've been using Project64 with some of Rare's games (Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and GoldenEye 007) and all four of them seem to run fine. The only setback I've experienced is that I need to set my computer to high performance if I don't want them to end up being laggy at times.

20. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    If you still want to play the game on an emulator, I played through the entire game 100% two years ago on Project64 1.6 with zero issues.

Well, first I played it on the latest version of PJ64, which seemed fine... Until I noticed that the timer in the game counted down twice as fast. So yeah, you want 1.6 which emulates the timer properly.