don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Sites like Zap2it and TVGuide are reporting the 7am and 6am timeslots for Boom. Welp I hope SEGA wasn't looking at this as a ratings hit. :|

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Look, don't take this in a bad way, but do you really think CN gives 2 shits about Sonic Boom, or thinks the animated series will be succesful in any way? Sonic is still a very popular brand (the games can ship a million units or more without troubles and Sonic is still a well known videogame icon) but I don't think its popularity extends to "the broad audience", especially since in the last 4 years Sega has been pretty heavy in the nostalgia factor and you can see the games were more oriented towards us older fans: higher difficulty curve, multiple returning elements from the classic games, bigger focus on older characters and most new characters completely removed from the series (or limited to cameos). The Sonic Boom project started between 3 to 4 years ago, and I feel this is once again an example of the lack of comunication between SoJ and SoA. If you look at Sonic Boom as a whole it features multiple elements which were common in the series pre-2010 (multiple new characters, new villain of the week, vehicles, more kid oriented). Boom, as a whole, would have made a lot more sense if it released in 2010/2011. However, I don't know why, but from 2010 onward SoJ started to have a completely different approach to the series. As I wrote above, Sonic games now are way more "gamer-oriented" (classic fans or not) instead of being kids-oriented (the higher difficulty curve is the biggest culprit imho, however I'm not implying Sonic games today are Dark Souls level of difficulty, just that they are way more core-oriented than before). Actually, despite working on Sonic Boom I feel SoA too went in this direction (the Retro Engine remakes, the Archie comic which is getting closer and closer to the games and abandoning the older Penders additions, the bigger effort put in ASRT compared to the first one) and I feel all these things turned Sonic away from the kids audience. Kids have a short attention span, and I don't think kids are really that interested in Boom or Sonic in general that much (but I could be wrong of course). So why should CN care then?
    For me, Sonic Boom, as a franchise, is at least 4 years late considering the direction Sonic has been moving in the last years. Actually, the fact that they shoved Shadow in Boom, which doesn't even make sense considering the tone or his general story, is an obvious proof that Sega is trying to recapture that PS2 Sonic audience (when Shadow was at his peak in popularity, and it's the period when Sonic sold the most, and Sonic was very popular with kids in those days). Actually, the Boom games as a whole look very similar to the PS2-era games, and I don't think this is a compliment considering their quality. I also don't think that audience is there anymore, so I really don't see how Boom will be succesful: it's aimed at kids which may not be there anymore while going against everything Sonic-related released in the last years, completely different compared to Pac-Man, which was a dead/dormant series (the last real new Pac-Man game was in 2010, iirc, a reboot made more sense with Pac-Man).

3. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Every nerd, hipster, and sports nut started out as a kid with an obsession or obsessions.

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The 7 AM slot does suck, but there's always a chance of a re-run later in the day. I work until midnight, sometimes as late as 2 AM so I know I'll be hoping for a re-airing. And if the ratings turn out to be pretty good (I hope they do) there's at least a small chance for some slots to be shuffled around.

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Indeed.
    And in the nineties Sega kept appealing to us with AoStH, the games, the marketing. It was a period where new Sonic things released every 6 months if not less, and they were supposed to appeal to our kid self. That's why today we're still Sonic fans, that's why there are so many adult gamers today who know and like Sonic. This will sound dumb and obvious but if Sonic had been a one off game or Sega went in a different direction I doubt many of us would still care after all these years.
    And that brings me back to the original point: kids today don't care about Sonic because Sega has been neglecting them for 4 years, if not more. If Boom came 4 years ago it wouldn't be a problem, but in 2014 it just looks like a recipe for disaster.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Why wouldn't it be a problem in 2010? Back then it would have launched alongside Sonic Colours. And if that game didn't launch then, then the franchise would continue to be seen as one of those franchises that lots of people don't like and don't understand why it's still going. (Not that there aren't people who ignore the good recent Sonic games and still act like that's the case :v:)

Also, the episodes that will air on November 15th are called My Fair Sticksy and Circus of Plunder.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Rise of Lyric TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UEOk_wpNY

The Shattered Crystal commercial is the same aside from the different gameplay montage.

8. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    Wow, you guys are faster than I expected.

As for the Shattered Crystal commercial in question, if you really care, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yaRyJDxqA

I like it.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The animation looks....off.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It's pretty cutesy and over-exaggerated in a way, but I dig it.

Anyway at FindTheComputerRoom we finally made this public so I'm doing the rounds to promote it. We'll be doing a charity stream of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric on Saturday, November 15th starting at around 2 PM EST. The proceeds will go directly to a family we'd like to help out whose 3 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with cancer. If you're so kind you can immediately find their page here: http://www.gofundme.com/g56ryw

Our plan for the day is to run through the game, hopefully from start to finish but since we have no idea of the game's total length I can't guarantee anything. The crew will be FTA, me, and the dudes from Sonic Sez (if you've listened into those, if you read the comics but haven't listened to those you should). Our friend TJ will also be there who could pretty much be JonTron's stunt double. FTA is going to try and power through the game on his own in the days prior,so it won't be a completely blind experience. Hopefully that will let us avoid getting stuck anywhere due to our incompetence. Throughout the evening we'll be joined by special guests! Whoa!!! We reached out to people involved with the Boom initiative and were able to lock in friend of the show Mike Pollock, who is of course Dr. Eggman. Ian Flynn who is writing for the comic, in addition to Evan Stanley who penciled the first two issues of the comic. Tentatively we'll also be speaking with Cindy Robinson who is the voice of Amy Rose. We've reached out to a few more people so we'll see how those pan out.

We do want to thank anyone who contributes to the cause in a video (please push away thoughts of True Blue Initiative), if you donate and would like a thanks send a screencap of your donation to [email protected]. I'll also give our stream link which is twitch.tv/ftcr69 (I didn't pick that). I'll be posting the link again the day of for anyone who wants to join in.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I just woke up so I'm pretty sure I've covered everything but just in case here's a video if you want to hear FTA cover what I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFETYVi_u4o

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    You guys gonna do both versions or just stick with the Wii-U version?

Awesome Guests dude, Mike is always one to go out of the way like that same with Ian.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I may actually be watching/contributing to said stream. Should be interesting

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    We're just going to do the U version. We all pitched in and got our friend Jonathan a 3DS for his birthday this Saturday, and he pre-ordered the 3DS game already (he thought you got the Archie comic in a physical form...typical him) so he'll probably at least talk about it some. But yeah none of us have modded 3DS' for that kind of thing $$$$$

Thank you!

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I don't think you need a modded 3DS to stream but you need one of those circuit boards to connect to it.

15. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I just checked the eShop, but I didn't see any Sonic Boom demo. Surely they'd have updated the shop by now?

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Guess they meant Thursday, or tomorrow if it'll pop up after the Nintendo Direct.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ^ Speaking of which, does anyone here think the direct will have a portion dedicated to the Boom launch?

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The general opinion now seems to be that it was incorrect for whatever reason. A shame. I was looking forward to getting some impressions, but it's not long until the full games launch now anyway. And hopefully any demos get simultaneous releases across different regions.