don't click here

Assembler games member has Sonic xtreme POV stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spinksy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Not to criticize or anything, but I wouldn't mind knowing what in my post makes you qualify me as an idiot.

2. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Forgive again my curiosity, but after re-reading my post I still cannot pinpoint the exact words that scream "he has no idea what he's talking about" and "it seems he doesn't have the knowledge to fix problems to get it to actually work"

Would you mind explaining?

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Some of us Sonic Fans can be real umm ,, Dicks sometimes, Just ignore it. Also welcome to our little community here !

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thanks for bringing him here Andrew75. It saves me from having to start monitoring a forum I don't visit. :-)

I can see where Oerg is coming from in being a dick about this, although it was uncalled for. The original post basically (in short) says to me that he has source code to a 20 year old game and wants to try to compile it to see if it will run. Without any knowledge of the person posting, this is similar to kind of the dumbass question that comes up a lot in other cases, e.g. "SRB2 is open source, I want to compile it for Nintendo DS can anyone help with this?" Reading the first post would make me skeptical too just based on how common it is for this type of question. Well, except for the fact that it was extremely specific in this case, and he already has some of the hardware.

I look forward to seeing what comes of this. Best of luck to everyone involved.

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I didn't bring anyone here !

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, I hope something comes out of this.

It's always cool to see new pieces of video game history surface, even if it's probably not going to be something "super awesome" like a playable build, but rather a small demo or, worst case scenario, a collection of assets to look at.

Thanks to all involved and I hope you guys can piece all the required stuff together.

7. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Point taken, I could have explained further.

For the sake of clarity I would like to specify that I am definitely NOT inexperienced as far as software engineering goes, and I have used loads of software and development tools in the past, in fact I used to be a games programmer many years ago and I still remember using the various consoles development systems of the time...

I hope to have the chance to release something meaningful out of this, the issue is that with a family and a full-time job, it is going to take a while, so please bear with me.

Jollyroger

8. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Those DSK images you mentioned on the other forum are specifically Saturn disc images... I'd really love to see what is on them, even if it is nothing meaningful.

9. Oh hey, welcome to Retro!

I'm glad to see I was wrong about that part, since usually the good stuff seems to land in the possession of people who have no clue what they're doing. From the way you said "Full Win95 PC setup" plus all the other circumstances sonicblur has outlined, it seemed that way.

Rather sad to see the people on assemblergames making videos about their rare dev hardware while openly admitting they have no clue to use it or show it for demonstrational purposes for example, I just think that's a huge waste.

Still, andrew75 should consider himself massively ripped off for that graphics card (which, by the way, is lacking the saturn controller port.....)

Okay, let's see where this goes. Would you mind sharing some screenshots or other media of the things you got?

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Slightly off topic, but a little funny, I have eaten one of these as recently as 2003, Neon Kung-Fu Sanic X-Treme packaging and all:

[​IMG]

Kinda disturbing to think about how long that ice cream bar had been sitting. (About seven years.)

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    After speaking with Jollyroger it was decided to return the graphics card since the controller ports were an important aspect that was required by the code. sure it could be worked around but that wouldn't have been cool. ( best keep everything as originally intended so to speak) ( donations will be returned, thanks for the effort guys !) Also lets keep an eye out for the rest of the materials, shall we? And yeah ! I'd gladly donate all over again if we find something that requires cash backing in the future! ( I don't feel ripped off one bit. Would have paid double that just so u know.) I feel its a small price to pay for the end result.

12. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I'll be watching this closely and hope to be able to help at some point.

Fingers crossed for new Sonic xtreme materials at some point.....

(and the general hostile nature of a lot of members here is why I don't like posting stuff - just saying).

13. Nova

Nova

Totally agreed and it is exactly why newer members of this scene potter off quietly or don't contribute at all.

Also Lobotomy, gross - I would be worried about the sell-by date on it, even going as far back as 2003... :v:

14. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    An exciting update from jollyroger over on the Assembler forums

Things still need to be done, but hold onto your hats folks!

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Don't you mean Hold on to your balls? because I have a feeling this may be a big one !

16. winterhell

winterhell

That's right guys, we're getting Blue Balls tonight

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Holy shit, do they actually have Ofer's X-treme engine?! :specialed: This sounds really exciting, it could be a floodgate of new things from X-treme's development!

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Pretty damn exciting stuff, but Ofer is gonna be pissed. Assuming he's even still around somewhere that he would hear about this. Oh well, godspeed boys!

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Hopefully he doesn't raise too much of a problem. I get that there's all that bruised ego and frustration with Sega (both warranted) as well as legal stuff, but when it's 18 years removed, it's time to move on.

20. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Another update from jollyroger