don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Let's all just agree that nothing he does is pleasing to the eye, none of it catchy, none of it particularly interesting looking or outstanding, and leave it at that.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I just want to know if he's actually working on the comic at all or just faffing about with promotional materials.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Even a zero-effort cut and paste composite is really easy to do better than this. Seriously, ignoring the horrible character art, it looks like the assets weren't even carefully selected to be put together so much as chosen at random. "I need a waterfall, here's the first waterfall I found, let's not waste time looking at other waterfalls that might be better suited to this image".

It's easy to criticize his lack of artistic talent. Personally, I'd much rather criticize his lack of discretion and self-awareness. Plenty of people, myself included, can't even draw as well as Penders. And that's okay. But distributing content like this anyway, and either not recognizing or not caring that it's shit? That's far worse than not having ability. I don't know if the mismatched assets in this picture are a result of laziness, or if he's just blinded to how awful his own work is, or what, but there's definitely a lot more in play in this cover than simple lack of ability. Whatever the reason, he wasn't ashamed to show this off publicly, and that's my big problem with this, much bigger than how shitty the art or compositing itself is.

4. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I agree that's worse than simply being terrible at drawing anthros and leaving such drawings in a private collection. I didn't get a deviantART for a long time until I felt like I could draw somewhat decent enough to be presentable. (Was still terrible anyway starting off, but, yeah.) I think his personal pride in his abilities are in the wrong place, unless he's trolling us as hard as he possibly can while watching us squirm or laugh at his publicly posted monstrosities.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was working on the comic as far back as during the whole lawsuit with SEGA, honestly. Although the fact that he's still using much older artwork for the cover, instead of ripping something new from any panels he's made, does encourage that thought in my mind too.

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    From 2:22 to "Phase 3" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKfvkIAdyAY

(ignore look I can cook)

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    You tell me?

[​IMG]

That poor fucking iPad. but on the bright side nobody will steal it!

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, I'll give it this: With the ship removed and some of the extra cliff at the bottom cut off, it actually makes the whole thing look a bit better.

8. Retroman

Retroman

Lara-Su is Freiza.

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Jesus I hate being right.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I wonder how much money he'll end up losing depending on how much of this crap he ends up getting made? I'm reminded of Alan Partridge's copies of his novel Bouncing Back...

11. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    He really should have at least traced that waterfall cliff, it really clashes with the drawn stuff in natural light.

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Then we can watch Penders view the processing plant where they turn his shitty merch in to pulp :v:

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Not gonna lie, that would be far more worth paying for than his writing =P

14. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Unrelated to TLSC, but related to Penders, Linkara reviewed Sonic Super Special #7 this week and gave his opinion on what little he knew about the situation

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/44730-sonic-super-special-7

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh boy! the Penders topic hasn't been bumped for a while. Its time for a change of pace!!

Riiiight. so....thoughts?....

EDIT:

[​IMG]

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    o_0

I need this thing in my life now. Hurry up Penders, this will be like mocking Christmas once this abortion is downloaded from the Internet (I'm not paying for this shit haha)

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    It's Mr. T as a fucking Penders-style echidna. And it has a loincloth. Holy shit.

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I don't have a vomiting .gif with enough excrement being expelled to accurately describe how sick I feel at the moment.

19. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Is that statement really something to be proud of Penders? :colbert:

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    God help me, I don't know which always splits my sides more. Ken Penders' outrageous artworks, or this community's reactions to them. *bricked*

Thank heavens his anatomy sense with these characters are getting better, at least. Nothing can help those crazy designs, nonetheless.