don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    See? now this is one of the nice benefits of having fans re/create official games, instant technical support!

Thanks Taxman as always.

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    What good ports. I like how they support iCade, even though there's that new MFi standard or whatever it's called.

Keep on keeping on guys. Maybe someday you'll be porting more 2D Sonic games. That'd be a hoot!

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

It sure would, particularly if we could get them on something besides mobile. :v:

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So I've been playing the Sonic the Hedgehog 2013 Remake, Version 2.0.4, on my phone (not sure if it updates automatically to 2.0.5 or if I need to go fetch it from the Google Shop myself) and I noticed an odd bug that I don't know if it has been brought up yet: when you enter a Special Stage in an Act, Exit the save, go back in and exit the Special Stage through GOAL or Chaos Emerald, the game will skip you over the next Act. It works on both Act One and Two as well, so you could go through the game without encountering a boss outside the Final Boss if you tried hard enough.

Here's a video of the bug I made to show it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gin7adi4

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that should go in this topic, just so the bugs are not scattered around different posts.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Oh, my apologies. I'll go post it in there, I had forgotten that thread existed since I never used it.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    See my quote from a while back:

So yeah, supporting the Nexus Player is actually a relatively simple update to the existing Google Play build. It'll be the closest you'll get to a console version for the moment (the lives HUD moves to the original bottom left position when run on TV).

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    What are the chances of an Ubuntu Touch (ie Ubuntu phone) port?

+ - about as much as a Windows phone port?  

10. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Probably as likely as a desktop Linux port.
    + - I'm still waiting for a Windows Phone port...  

11. What about a Windows version, downloadable from the Windows Store, that works on desktop PCs, Windows Phone and Xbox? Only need one set of code for it to work on all Windows devices now. :)

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ah okay sorry about that, I skipped it over because I had no idea what an "android tv" was.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's only "one set of code" if you use Windows Metro, which is a terrible restricted API that forces you to use gigantic text with 16 colors, and even then, as far as I know, it isn't really "one set of code". It's "make one completely separate project for each platform, but bundle all the executables in one package to fool people into thinking it's one set of code".

Same concept behind "Xbox" on Windows Phone and Windows 8, too. They wanted to fool brogamers into thinking that Windows tablets can run "Halo". They even ran a commercial comparing the iPad to Surface, and one of the "selling points" was that Surface could run "Halo", but it was an *app* that was completely different, rather than a full Halo game.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Can we sell it as another "android" type device? both use the linux kernel at their core.

*fingers futilely crossed*

15. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    I just recently downloaded this to my new phone seeing as I have no need to use my Xperia Play anymore, my new phone lacks the physical buttons, but it's surprisingly playable with the touch controls. After I saw your 20th anniversary video and saw you could essentially play it like a gamepad, I was more interested in trying it out and I must say, it's fine to play on. This phone also only has internal memory so there are no major size issues like with my old phone, which, despite having the micro SD slot, couldn't install the games to it, so my phone would constantly warn me about low internal memory. It's nice to be able to play it on my new phone's larger screen as well. My new phone has a really good screen, so I gotta say, it's a pleasure to play it on there. Though if I really wanted to, I could hook up a bluetooth controller, maybe a wiimote if I was desperate for physical buttons, but I'm quite content with the touch controls. Color me surprised.

16. celebi23

celebi23

So, any word as to when those updates might go live? Thanks!

17. I'd be glad to do whatever I can to help! This is my favorite game of my entire life.

Guys, we should probably ask Taxman and Stealth for their advice -- they probably know how and where our efforts and energy would be best directed!

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Okay , a bit off topic here, but I don't want to start a new one just to request something related to Taxmans version of CD.
    There was a video that released promoting taxman's CD which had who I believe was Ohshima Naoto ( if im not mistaken) showing off some concept art sketches from CD.
    Anyone happen to back that video up ? I've looked all over youtube for the dammed thing but its since vanished.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Daguar found it for me , anyways I hope someone backs it up here at retro for future preservation !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZkrXaBkl0

20. upg

upg

Hey,

Does anyone have access to these time attack pics for the special stages?
    I'm having trouble finding them and am not savvy enough to pull 'em off the Android or PS3 games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]