don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype images

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phugolz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Bottom boundary bug? Where you slam in to the floor, right?

Do we know exactly what triggers this? It's only ever happened a handful of times to me, and in no circumstance I can pinpoint.

Also, what does having rings there do? Does it exacerbate the issue? Or do you mean they just replaced it with a checkpoint. I guess that makes a lot of sense.

2. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I think Clownacy is referring to the screen boundary killing you if you go through the double s-tunnels too fast. The screen scrolls down (as it's intended) but not fast enough and if you hit the bottom of the screen, you die. This is only possibly if you jump inside the loop-de-loop previously to gain extra speed. Otherwise, you'd never really encounter it.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Ah, I see, I did think so but wasn't sure! I never jump on the loop but I've died after the S-loop before. It's a bit weird. I also encounter a bug often in Marble Zone Act 1 whereby if I jump past the moving pillars on the first underground section, hit 2 Bat Badniks and land, the screen scrolls upward and kills me.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that's exactly what it sounds like in the prototype. Could we have a ROM of this, please?

5. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Dammit! And here I was hoping to surprise you guys. As soon as I finish it, you ask for it! :v:

Ah well, since ValleyBell's on holiday, I'll stand in for him on this one. Here you are.

It's Sonic 1 with a stock generic 68k SMPS DAC driver shoved in it. I'm not too sure on the DAC pitches, while the final DAC driver is still miles away in terms of accuracy to the original, the stock driver had the same drum set, only with different pitches. If anyone can hear a difference, I'll put up a ROM with the original pitches.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sweet! Thanks for that, had a run through and seems decent to me. Seems like the drums are a bit lower pitch, but hey ho.

7. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    This actually sounds better than it did as-released. What a waste that "Sega" sound clip was.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nonsense. That SEEEEYYGGGAAA clip is iconic.

9. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    To think, were it not for time limitations, we could have had a kick-ass sound test and the original drums.

10. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Not sure if I'm crazy or not, but in the Labyrinth Zone part at the very beginning of the video which MarkeyJester shown I saw that the RINGS doesn't flashes red like in Sonic 1. It disappear and re-appear like in Sonic 3, instead of flashing red like in the final game.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I'm sure this was discussed before. If you pause at the right times, when you think the RINGS counter is gone, the area where it should be is notably darker, so it's just the poor blurry video quality destroying the red's colour and the word's shape.

12. It just appears to play at a slower speed doesn't it...?

13. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    This is true. After some more look I noticed this detail too. I knew that I could be wrong about my thoughts related to this HUD. Heh. Thanks!

14. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Yeah. That's what I meant.

15. So how does time limitations mean higher pitch? I mean I'm sure it was either overlooked, or they just ended up going with that because they thought it sounded better :s

16. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I thought ValleyBell's post put it into words pretty well...?

Right, so, DAC streaming, it has its quirks. The one we're focusing on is this: You know that 68k Sega sound fix, this one? It makes the 68k stream the Sege audio instead of the Z80. The thing is, if you overclock the 68k, the pitch of the Sega sound changes. On a related note, the pitch values are a delay for the processor to wait, so playing with the delay or overall speed will change the pitch (and speed) of the streamed sound.

What happened with Sonic 1's sound driver is that it used to be the generic 68k SMPS DAC driver (evident when comparing the code). But when the elaborate sound test was ditched, the Sega chant was added to occupy the allocated space. This required that the DAC driver be modified. These modifications, however, affected the audio-streaming speed. If I'm thinking of it correctly, it sped it up (optimised it?), giving us the higher pitch drums. Were there never a need to modify the DAC driver, the pitches would have likely remained the same.

17. What I meant was, after the code was changed to allow the SEGA sound to function, they could have 'fixed' the sound of the drums to get it to play at its 'original' pitch. That was either overlooked, or they just decided to go with the higher pitch. That being said, I honestly thing the lower pitch sounds a lot better than the higher pitch, it's a shame they didn't keep it.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm thinking that they might have kept them like that just because they sound a bit clearer when being played at this higher sample rate, but who knows.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'd love to see if there was anything leftover from the sonic 1 original soundtest. If it was even worked on.

20. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Something of a sidenote, check out the Game Gear demos around the 20 minute mark in the CES video. The screen faces are flat and flush with the chassis, as opposed to rounded and slightly stood-off, like the retail system.

[​IMG]