don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Question for taxman. What can we as a fanbase do to convince Sega to make an s3k port. Anything?

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I think SEGA already knows that we want it. At this point, based on what everyone is saying it's sounding like a matter of whether or not they CAN do it... at least for now. Which breaks my heart as well.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Believe me, SoA is pretty well aware what the fans want. Their twitter account gets blown up daily and they do still hover around the major fansites.

It all comes down to what they're cleared to do from SoJ. Sonic 3 is still not one of those things because <REASONS>.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I just want to know if SoJ is still actively trying to resolve those <REASONS> so we can get a greenlight.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus they could port S3K, then release a Sonic Classic Collection for the modern age for the major platforms for like, $30 that includes all the buffed up Taxman ports. I'd buy it.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    What I'm curious about is if Tax and Stealth are privy to the reasons it ain't happening. Like, I understand that if they do know they obviously can't say what those reasons are, but I'm curious if they've even been given an official reason or if they have to speculate like the rest of us.

7. Because. SEGA are classy gentlemen. They are self pleasing and don't give a shit.

Seriously though, there may be some conflict with someone that was involved with the project. MJ or not, there's probably something. Either that or SEGA just doesn't like S3K for some stupid fucking reason. Or they don't know whether to release S3 or SK or S3K. Or all 3 and charge for every individual copy! :D

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    "Or they don't know whether to release S3 or SK or S3K."

I'm sure it should be fairly clear, S3K released as just Sonic 3... SHOULD be the way to go...

9. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I believe they snuck that in without asking permission, and it was minor enough that they got away with it.

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Actually no, it was never meant to be a tease. It was a planned addition to the remastered version made so there was more of a pronounced difference between the 'good' and 'bad' endings. And since Angel Island is a solid part of Sonic canon now, it's nice to bridge all the events of the 'Death Egg Saga' together.

EDIT:
    Gene's right that the community team regulars have their ears to the ground and lookout for feedback, and if you particularly feel they should act on something it's always worth politely bringing it to their attention. Obviously, not everything is possible though, there's lots of factors behind the scenes that affect what projects eventuate. Also bear in mind that the division of Sega that handles most of the mobile titles (Sega Networks) is actually separate from the main SOA branch. So depending on what platforms you want to provide feedback for, getting in touch with the right representatives would also be of benefit.

Re: S3k, Stealth & I did create a spiffy RSDK prototype a while ago, but it's sitting neatly on a shelf for now. We'd be happy to develop it further one day if the opportunity came up, but right now I'm personally busy on some other new and challenging things!

11. So how about a Vita version? :D

Seriously, have you seen the amount of stuff on Vita in Japan, at least get a Sonic 1 & 2 bundle on there.

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

I hope to see the Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 on Steam first. XBLA and PSN would be nice too, but that might only be for Xbox One and PS4. Would Nintendo eShop also be a possibility?

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I just found it interesting that Sonic 1 and 2 were denied release on all other non-mobile platforms. But this is also comes from the same company that ported Sonic CD to Xbox Live... then ported the Xbox Live version to Steam when they could have just used the Retro Engine and saved a ton of cost and have less overhead on specs.

But whatever, game companies (especially ones that mostly operate as satellites to the Japanese branches) are strange creatures. The only thing that can be done is everyone--not just members here, but across the fandom and beyond (that means you guests too... I see you) stir up some noise toward the right people at SEGA. That doesn't mean hounding Kellie and the rest of SoA's community team--they get enough of that from the Shenmue 3, Yakuza 5 and PSO2 fangroups. It has to be a much more concerted and professional effort than just blowing up their comments of social media feeds.

Please do remember us hinting something nice will happen if 1 and 2 sold well. I don't know if that is still on the table (doubful, IMO) but you're all very much in control as to what happens next. Shutting down Sonic Boom is not one of those things (unless you don't buy it, watch it, or get any of the toys... then you might have an impact. :specialed: )

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    4 things Tax:

1. My question above, based on what you know and can tell us Is SEGA still actively trying to resolve those "factors" that plague Sonic 3k?

2. What rep. do we send our rage concerns to at Sega Networks? will enough of our demanding input be useful enough to show how much we fans want a Tax-Stealth remake of Sonic 3k? EDIT: mind you adding on to what Gene said, I don't want to cause chaos just to know who we should direct it to say if any one of us wants to start a petition or something, it'd be more of a neat and professional effort then blowing up their twitter feeds.

3. Similar question, who do we talk to about getting your guys' mobile remakes onto other platforms like PC and consoles? damn do I want these remakes on PC soo bad (consoles too).

4. So is this new project SEGA-related or something of your personal works?

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Level maps... could we possibly get these?

There are level maps floating around for the scrapped Desert Dazzle that snuck into a version of SCD 2011, as well as maps for HPZ and Egg Gauntlet for S2 2013.

Any chance we could get similar maps for the other layouts in these releases? In particular Sonic 1 and 2 Remastered? Some levels DO sport new layouts, and it'd be good to have them all documented in the wiki.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Plus a Hidden Palace map may be useful for fan projects. :D

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You could always do it yourself. I posted the tool in the hacking forum back when I posted the first level maps. It'll dump out full-sized PNG's.
    Just extract the .rsdk, open the appropriate level, save the map.

Edit:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=30338&view=findpost&p=772861

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    The Hidden Palace map is on the wiki, anyway.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So uh, is the update for iPhone 6 coming soon for all 3 games? I heard there is some screen resizing issues when it comes to the 6+.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, it was displaying the pixel graphics wrongly on the 6+. Already solved the problem, so there's updates in the works. I have no idea when it'll come out though, however long it takes for the usual approvals and stuff to happen I suppose :v: