don't click here

Passion & Pride

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blivsey, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I don't even mind buying digitally, but I'm frustrated as hell that they don't offer FLAC in the west. So instead I'll end up spending a boatload to import it. Fun.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I see, but you can also see how much of a double edged sword this is considering of what other things we do around here that can also be purchased by legal means. so are PMs going to monitored now for Piracy? and I'm guessing this will apply to pre-soundtrack game rips from now on right?

Well I've been here long enough to know my sources here, and nothing can really stop me from asking them whats what even outside the boards so I won't involve the boards publicly at least.

Are we talking about the official or pre-soundtrack release?

I still have the OSV, the official soundtrack is pretty incomplete and I hate incomplete, half-assed soundtracks that are complied for a quick buck.

3. It was the official one a few months ago.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh? the pre-soundtrack OSV was out for months before that, and far more complete too. don't see why someone would distribute the official one tbh.

5. Because it's a five-year-old habit of mine? :v:/>

In any case, I'll be sure to steer clear of Retro for new album releases, unless for some reason they decide to not make it available on iTunes. I suppose if anyone still cares I can pop into a game thread and post VGMdb links to album scans.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Hey Soniko, care to PM me some hottt traxx? ;)

+ - This is a joke. Please don't actually do that as I'm working off a 16GB USB here and don't actually want it, because even if I did there is like no space on this thing to just have that lying around on it.  

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh, lol. sorry dude.

Yeah same here, I'm not gonna risk my warn level again if Retro is going to go boyscout on the whole piracy thing (no offense of course, I can understand you guys don't want the likes of Steve Lycett banging down on Retro's door again we don't need that)

And about that Ashram, PM Soniko she really needs help with pretty much everything and your the best I can think of that can help (seeing as you have done it all for us before).

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You're still welcome to share the album stuffs here, just not the actual music. Retro had to do a little growing up if it wanted to be taken seriously and lowering the jolly roger (a bit) is one of those things.

That said, since these things usually leak, anyone who's looking to keelhaul themselves the tracks without spending money usually has very little trouble doing so.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Since when can you get mods and hacks through legal means?

10. Most of those mods for Generations specifically are based on legally-purchasable material.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    True, though I think those are based on games that are so old and cheap at this point that it doesn't really matter. We don't host leaked pre-release stuff of games that are not yet released either for the same reason, like when the early versions of Sonic 4 Episode 1 got leaked.

12. Lady Soniko

Lady Soniko

That's Head Bitch of Honnouji, pig. Member
    Lol still suffering from customs flack, Parcelforce are honestly just slow pieces of garbage.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, this is one critisism I'll happily echo. Amazon's music quality is pretty close but it's not FLAC. Lossless would be a nice option and it's not like it's unheard of - Bandcamp offers in FLAC.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If it were just for straight listening, I probably wouldn't mind. But I wanna loop these up for use in Final Fantasy VII and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Thing is, FF7 uses looping OGG, and I'm really not a fan of the additional quality loss from re-encoding an already-encoded song like that, while Brawl uses a lossless format and I don't like the idea of storing lossy music in a lossless format.

15. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    I'm disappointed that there are no instrumental versions of the Knuckles tracks. I've been waiting to hear a proper instrumental of "Dive Into the Mellow" since I first heard it in 2001.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Alright but what about pre-soundtrack releases / gamerips? still haven't got clarification there. and what about PM monitoring for piracy?

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Personally, I see no problem with gamerips since the soundtracks usually have a different mastering and thus a little more work done to them. The assumption being of course that you'll own the game in some capacity and thus have paid for the product as a whole. It's a bit of a gray area (where most would tell you you'd have to rip the music yourself, but some places further make it murky to rip the disc. Again, messy.)

As for PMs? They're called private messages for a reason. What you guys do with them is on you. But know that should the law come knocking, and most sites will probably do this too, we'll cooperate with them officially. In other words: you shouldn't be doing things that will get you in trouble and be used against you. But again, what you actually do is all up to you. Just know the potential consequence.

18. Lady Soniko

Lady Soniko

That's Head Bitch of Honnouji, pig. Member
    I never really had the intention of ripping the CD, I'm kind of the type of person who supports a sale and buying something physical/digital than pirating and getting free music rips from Youtube and the like, supporting the artists and company's that make this music possible is the best way to go about it.

I don't mind scanning the CD inlays, disc tray and booklet though.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    lol, YouTube.

20. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams