don't click here

Passion & Pride

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blivsey, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    I'm going to have a hard time not seeing that now, thank you for that.

2. Falk

Falk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaster

Image is vertically stretched, so no surprise.

3. Lady Soniko

Lady Soniko

That's Head Bitch of Honnouji, pig. Member
    Update on CD, it's currently stuck in fucking customs as I foretold.

UK customs is getting ridiculous now, as if increasing the price of stamps and postage wasn't enough, they'll stop anything coming into this country via EMS and slap a fee on as they lick their lips and rub their grubby hands together.

Fucking Parcelforce.

4. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I meant the It Doesn't Matter remix. I already got the songs off Amazon and listened to them in my post. [​IMG]

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks for the update, don't stress about it we all know the customs in any country are fucking assholes.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Actually, it's pretty fun listening to the growth and progression of Sonic music, especially as it ages. I have three examples of one song that highlight the changes.

Let's look at the often re-used Seaside Hill Zone from Sonic Heroes. I won't be using the Generations mixes because those are almost entirely separate demons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LKzPxAJ0AQ
    So, here we have it in its E3 Xbox prototype variant from 2003. Aside from some mastering, you can tell the drums are from a synthesizer.

Here is its finalized version. Note the percussion changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-jWLyQu3MY
    Years later, it got changed up yet again in Mario and Sonic 2012. This time, the percussion and bass changed (has a nice little slap bass going on) and you can hear additional (Sonic 4!) synths in the background. Also, it removes the barren second half of the song. Never did understand why Seaside Hill and Sea Gate did that originally.

And of course, let me take this opportunity to SHAMELESSLY PLUG that you can grab the Sonic Heroes prototype soundtracks we uploaded a few years back here. If anything, it's always fun to see how songs develop. The earlier prototype has some very different tunes.

7. EmerlForgotten

EmerlForgotten

Sonic Music Curator Member
    The music of the franchise has always been about progression, IMO. While it definitely has evolved, you can still hear touches of past musical styles in the modern tracks. For example, Dragon Road Night and Quartz Quadrant wouldn't sound out of place in the same game. Even Colors had a soundtrack reminiscent of the Sonic CD/Saturn era in my opinion.

That being said, I can't wait to hear the remastered tracks. Gives me a reason to revisit Unknown from M.E again :v:

8. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    That's because a lot of levels in Heroes had variable mixing as you went through. I distinctly remember it happening in Mystic Mansion, at the very least, but I think Seaside Hill always plays the 'barren' second loop if you're around the beachside section when it loops.

also oooh I wasn't expecting the new mix to be of the SA2 version

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    No, variable mixing doesn't happen in Seaside Hill Zone. It's really that long a song. You're welcome to go make some of the characters go stand around for a bit.

10. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    It's great to hear the Sonic Adventure songs as instrumentals for the first time.

I think this is also the first time we've heard the Sonic Adventure 2 songs without background vocals.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It's not. The SA2 vocal album when the game originally released had instrumentals as well.

12. Not entirely; the SA2 vocal album technically had "karaoke" versions of the SA2 themes. Many of the themes retained snippets of their backing vocals (To help people pace themselves with the song, I'd imagine.)

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know its already out digitally but are you still doing a CD rip Soniko?

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Considering that the album is easily available digitally, I'm not sure if we'd allow that.

15. We've certainly come a long way from 2009, when mods were actively advertising my rips on the front page of the site. :v:/>

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well, I'm not a mod so I can't really tell you guys if you should or should not put the album up on here. But like I said, considering how easy it is to buy these albums now, I'm not sure if we'd allow it. Especially considering we recently had someone who worked on one of the games come here to complain about it. :v:

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, the situation in 2009 for music soundtracks was a little more of a pain in the arse than it is now. Not really a fair comparison.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Then how about just person to person via PMs? whoever is interested can just PM Soniko, that way its not publicly on the boards.

Wat? when was this?!

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Steve Lycett came to us when the Transformed soundtrack was posted.

20. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Yeah...even though getting physical copies of the discs still isn't a convenient thing in the west, the fact that new soundtracks are released on iTunes and Amazon for western consumption means we shouldn't promote blatant piracy on the site, forums or otherwise. Even a "hey, pm me for hottt traxx ;)" is a bad idea.

Sure, this is the Internet, and piracy is going to happen regardless of what we say or do. But like everyone said above, this isn't 2009 anymore. The music can be gotten by legal means, so we're not going to help along the illicit procurement of such digital items.