don't click here

Metal Sonic Hyperdrive

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LoneDevil, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    [​IMG]
    [video=youtube;BG27aL3ZwmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG27aL3ZwmI[/video]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Metal Sonic Hyperdrive is a heavy modification of Sonic the Hedgehog by Darkon360/GothicReaper/LoneDevil for the Sega Genesis. with brand new Zones, New Music, Extra playable characters, and Modes. Starting Metal Sonic, taking Sonic's role as the main protagonist to stop Dr'Robotnik's greatest inventions yet. Also starting special guests such as Kirby, and Somari.

Story:
    One Day, after the defeat of Dr'Robotnik by the hands of Sonic. Robotnik decided to rebuild Eggrobo to travel Mobius to search for the Chaos Emeralds. Eggrobo kidnapped Tails in the Mystic Ruins, by sending him into Metallic Madness, but luckily, Tails escaped. he decided to sneak into Robotnik's lab and grab the parts of his robots and pieces. Tails later go to his home in the Mystic Ruins and created a new robot, based off Metal Sonic's classic model, Codename: METAL. with the ability to feel and behave almost exactly like Sonic. Tails was able to track Eggrobo to where hes heading by using his Radar, so Tails sent Metal Sonic to Robotic Isle, where Eggrobo is heading to. in hopes to find the Chaos Emeralds and destroy Dr'Eggman's plans once and for all.

Controls:
    Jump + A/B/C - Super Transformation
    Up + A/B/C - Super Peel Out
    Down + A/B/C - V. Maximum Hyperdrive Attack

Monitors:
    [​IMG] Gives 10+ Rings.
    [​IMG] Gives 20+ Rings.
    [​IMG] Gives Blue Shield for your basic protection.
    [​IMG] Gives Ruby Shield, Never flinch when hit.
    [​IMG] Gives Golden Shield, Absorb Rings nearby.
    [​IMG] We're not gonna make it, lets Speed Up!
    [​IMG] Gives Invincibility for awhile.
    [​IMG] Gives 1UP.
    [​IMG] To obtain all 6 emeralds, find and break these monitors to enable the Giant Ring. (no Special Stages required)

Credits:
    • Music & SFX Ports - KCEXE
    • Somari Sprites - Marioguru64
    • Smash Bros Melee Kirby Sprites - Drshnaps
    • Sonic 2 Level Select & Options port - Esrael
    • Sonic 2 Clone Driver - Tweaker
    • Extras Menu, Magnetize Rings, and Splash Screen code- HckTrox
    • Peel Out, and Extended Camera - Selbi

Hints:
    Extras Menu: (Hinted after beating the game)
    Press C button on the Title Screen to access the special extra features, including character selection and Survival Mode.

Level Select:
    Hint: Sonic CD North America Release date.

More Info on Homepage

Download Metal Sonic Hyperdrive

Boxart Covers:
    USA-NTSC-U:
    [​IMG]
    EUR-PAL:
    [​IMG]
    JPN-NTSC-J:
    [​IMG]

Cart Stickers:
    USA-NTSC-U:
    [​IMG]
    EUR-PAL:
    [​IMG]
    JPN-NTSC-J:
    [​IMG]

Bonus Hacks:

Metal Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Metal Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog, the real deal this time. Complete with 4 different playstyles.

Controls:
    ORIGINAL - Original Sonic the Hedgehog gameplay, speed caps included.
    SPINDASH - Based off Sonic the Hedgehog 2 controls.
    SONIC CD - Based off Sonic CD control scheme, Extended Camera included.
    SONIC CD 2011 - Based off Sonic CD Remake control scheme.

Credits:
    • Sonic 1 Custom Title Screen Font - Dr-Luxcario
    • Sonic CD SFX - KCEXE
    • Extended Camera - Selbi

Download Metal Sonic in Sonic 1

Metal Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Metal Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Complete with 3 different playstyles for Metal Sonic.

Controls:
    ORIGINAL - Original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 gameplay.
    SONIC CD - Based off Sonic CD control scheme, Extended Camera included.
    SONIC CD 2011 - Based off Sonic CD Remake control scheme.

Credits:
    • Sonic 1 Custom Title Screen Font - Dr-Luxcario
    • Sonic CD SFX - KCEXE
    • Extended Camera - Selbi

Download in Metal Sonic in Sonic 2

Metal Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Metal Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Complete with additional special moves.

Alternate Title Names:
    Metal Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3 & Metal Sonic
    MS3K
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles & Metal Sonic

Controls:
    Jump + A/B/C - Jumpdash or Fire Shield
    Jump + Up + A/B/C - Double Jump or Electric Shield
    Jump + Down + A/B/C - Downwards Jumpdash or Bubble Shield
    Jump + A - Super/Hyper Transformation

Download Sonic 3 & Metal Sonic

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The Metal Sonic in Sonic 1 hack has really come a long way since the first version. I like how it's shaped up and that you can choose if you want the new moves or not.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Nice to see someone else in on the Character In X Game craze. Love your sprites as well.

4. This is great news to me! Lone Devil or Darkon360, congrats on your Trial Member chance, glad to see you've actually made it on here! :thumbsup:/>/> I still remember a few years ago that I THINK that you requested me to do a Let's Play of your Metal Overdrive hack, I haven't forgotten, from what I've seen change over the past few years, it looks like the hack of yours has REALLY been well polished! Regardin' the Let's Play that I think you requested me to do for you years ago, what I'll do is I'll Let's Play your Metal Hyperdrive hack instead since it seems that not only is it the superior hack compared to Overdrive, but I should've Let's Played your hack around/near the time you requested it, so...my apologizes, didn't fully understand and realize how important community interaction was back then, sorry about that. But I am curious about somethin' that you'd probably be able to answer quick about, what are the differences between Hyperdrive and Overdrive? Is it just that Hyperdrive is a new version of the hack or a new game as a whole, because...to be honest, they both look essentially the same exludin' the fact that the level designs are different. But whatever it is, surely you can answer. Anyways, as previously stated before, welcome to the board! :)/>/>

(EDIT: Spell fixes)

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm a big fan of this hack - the inner artist/designer in me would alter vast chunks of the game, but I like the way it's a good, solid experience that has a beginning, middle and end. And that it doesn't suck.

So many hacks (and fangames for that matter) generate hype for what ends up being one or two levels - I'm always partial to a hack that's "complete" (and then gets... "more complete" with subsequent releases).

Also finally a proper opportunity to query where the music comes from - I know a good chunk is lifted from Cosmic Carnage but IIRC nobody has ever posted a full track listing, and this might be the first hack ever where I've actually cared.

6. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Big fan, myself, love this hack. Always a blast to play.

A fair bit is also from Yuu Yuu Hakusho - Makyou Touitsusen, like the title theme (which is just Smiling Bomb) and a fair few of the other tracks within levels.

7. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

I'm really glad that Lone Devil made it to Trial Membership status! I was all thinking "Why is he still a Pending Member, don't people know he is (Darkon360)?".

So, this hack has been achieving massive improvements; in fact, the first version of this hack that I played was the 2012 version, and that was right before the SHC 2013 version was released (I didn't know about that version yet). I then played 3.0 sometime around December, and I thought "Wow, this is so different from the version that I had!"; upon looking at the previous releases, I saw the SHC 2013 version and realized what I had missed.

Anyway, this hack is getting better and better, maybe one day it'll get the Hidden Palace Trophy (it already got the community trophy, so it's not impossible).

8. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Overdrive is just a early beta name. Hyperdrive was originally suppose to be the "polished" version, until later I started rebooting the entire concept early back in 2013 for SHC because of the walljump gimmick that didn't turned out quite well. another reason for the name change is that it sounds better and makes more sense. (Not trying to reference that awful Sonic OVA "Hyper Metal Sonic") Also you're welcomed to LP the current version. ;D

Unfortunately, there won't be anymore revisions for the next contest (and ever), unless I somehow able to merge the entire source into Sonic 2 for specific reasons, *cough* Maximum Hyperdrive but it's a very slim chance. besides, I'm already satisfied with Hidden Palace Community Trophy + Won the most trophies twice in the contest (2013-2014) so I'm out of ideas.

9. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Have been following this for some time now and I'm surprised that you find awesome excuses to make even more releases, seriously. :D The art is gorgeous though and it definetly has that Sonic CD-vibe to it. I love it! <3

10. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I'm not liking this version as much as the last two. There's a lot less of what makes Metal Sonic Hyperdrive Metal Sonic Hyperdrive in this one, at least to me. I miss the walljump, the more interesting boss arenas, playable Kirby, the diverse level themes, etc.

I dunno; The various releases of MSH just seemed to get less cool and interesting as they went on instead of moreso. The "Let's have lots of collapsing floors and moving platforms that can crush you" style of level design is kinda cool in a slightly insane way, though.

11. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    I disagree, there's reasons why the walljump mechanic is removed, just doesn't feel right, also having diverse level themes seems random. (daytime, evening, and nighttime is overrated)
    If you read, press + - C on the Title Screen   to access the Extras Menu for character select + etc. Kirby and the rest of the playable cast is still in, just hidden to make the hack seem less of a "crossover".

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    While I respect Thousand Pancake's opinion, I disagree with it... Hyperdrive has only improved in its latest iterations. Wall Jump doesn't fit Metal at all, BTW.

13. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I didn't know the extra characters were still included. I'm gonna have to take a look now. :)

I still think walljump was a really cool ability. Darkon just needed to design the levels to make it not break the game. :v:

14. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

One thing I'm glad about the updates is that they no longer have a reliance on the soniNeko music pack. Well, maybe a song or two is still in there, but I'm glad there's lots of new music.

As Spanner said, that pack is getting overused to the point where you could play with the audio off.

15. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    You mean this track? the current Hyperdrive's port is slightly different.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-_OlVop3k

btw, How's Masterquest guys? (in Options menu)

16. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Time for the unthinkable, This is probably my 10th time saying this will be the final version, but believe it or not this is ACTUALLY it, and there's one valid reason that's been annoying me for quite a long awhile.
    it's the fucking Jumpdash. Why you may ask? it's really a unnecessary move that barely impacts (or hurts) the level design and I've seen casual sonic players LITERARY abuse the move nonstop to the point of death or suicide, I've also left it there as a excuse for Metal Sonic's playstyle to not be the same as Sonic CD (but not exact) until now. in this update (what I rather like to call "a patch") I've replace the Jumpdash with V. Maximum Hyperdrive Attack. it's basically like a spinboost, similar to Somari's quick spindash (in which he now has CD Spindash) but slightly faster than a spindash without charges. I've originally planned giving it invincibility frames until playtested it's pretty overpowered. I've also once again tweaked the level design a bit and added a few other minor changes. Metal Sonic in Sonic 1 & 2 no longer has the Hyperdrive playstyle but replaced by Sonic CD playstyles including from the 2011 remake. See the first post for downloads.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Let's be serious, 2D Sonic games aren't suppose to have a Jumpdash nor Homing Attack and it either destroys the purpose of having a Spindash/Peelout or hurts the gameplay/level design (unless Elemental Shields or Sonic Rush style level design, whatever). This concludes the Metal Sonic Trilogy. there's still a small chance that I'll consider making a sequel to Hyperdrive, possibly at the start of 2016 but don't get your hopes up. Enjoy the pure balanced version of Metal Sonic Hyperdrive. :specialed:/>

17. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I love Metal Sonic Hyperdrive -me and my little boy play it every now and then and enjoy it a lot!

Great stuff!!

18. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I'm glad you got rid of the jump dash. It's kind of a generic addition to make, and I personally always found that out of place, at least for the usual Sonic 1-3 levels, and as you said, everyone would just keep spamming it. That being said, the hack feels much better without it. I also dig the Hyperdrive attack addition, makes up nicely for a spin dash replacement.

On the other hand, there is always a little design mistake that always bothered me in your Metal Sonic hacks. In big sprites, such as the title screens or some of the ending artworks, he seems to have reaaaaally round fingers (like in that Metal Sonic in Sonic 1 ending screenshot). Pretty certain Metal Sonic's fingers were always more mechanical and pointy looking.

19. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Since I'm more of a traditional artist than a spriter, I had a feeling I might fuck up the fingers, and I'm not exactly sure why (Especially S3K ending poses). the rest of the close up sprites are claws/spikey fingers at least.

Also Redownload Hyperdrive, I've overlooked and Fixed a Seesaw invalid spring animation bug if not playing as Metal Sonic.