don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Well, it is the first zone of 13, so the difficulty is intentionally easy. The last thing I want to do is make another Sonic 3 & Knuckles Hard Mode (There's enough of them already).

Also, I played several times to make this video without getting hurt. I'll take the comment under consideration, though. Thanks.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Oh yeah I'm not suggesting that you do master edition hard, just little pockets where you have to think about getting around an obstacle. Examples:-

1. The first rhino could have a handful of spikes across the ceiling so it gives you the option of either spin dashing or waiting for the rhino to come out so you can jump on it.

2. The first flower enemy you see could do with spikes on the left hand side of it to make timing more important.

3. The monkey where the destructible wall is could do with a rhino below it that would put you under pressure to think fast and act quickly.

4. The next rhino could also do with spikes on the ceiling all the way across seeing as you need to wall climb. The rhino should also be moved closer to the left.

5. The flying caterpillar should be moved more to the left so you have to engage with it as you can just run under it with no challenge. It's current position just makes in cannon fodder.

That's pretty much it apart from filling some of the empty areas with more enemies. Obviously nothing taxing, just stuff that's engaging. If you do that I would say that route is finished.

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

I've read through your suggestions and made the following changes:

[​IMG]
    I've added a few spikes on the ceiling near the 1st rhino. This makes it so that simply jumping over him isn't possible, unless you are quick enough. Rolling into him is sort of forced due to this, which is fine.

[​IMG]
    I wasn't too sure what to do here, but I took out the yellow spring (it made it too easy to take the higher path as well) and replaced it with a spike. A little more challenging.

[​IMG]
    Rhinobot has moved forward. I chose against adding spikes on the ceiling as well as it felt a bit unfair. The rhinobot now "circles" the area above and darts at you when you climb up (if he's facing left), which is enough to cause the player to react.

[​IMG]
    Caterkiller Jr is now closer, causing him to be a threat now. Still easily beatable by rolling or a well timed jump but now you can't roll underneath him.

Finally, I looked at the area regarding the Monkeybot and, while I see what you're getting at, it breaks the level for 2 reasons, so I've left it as-is. Again, thanks for the informative feedback as it's much appreciated. I don't see these little things after play testing on my own for so long.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Not there actually right next to the flower on it's left hand side. The spring was fine where it was.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Ah, now I understand. I've had a look and changed things around a little in that area. Again, thanks.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

Has there been any news regarding the Needlemouse project?

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Yep. It became Sonic 4 ep. 1! [​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I'm curious as to what you are actually talking about.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Does this mean you managed to fix the mapping issues with Knuckles?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    What mapping issues?

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I thought you said there was a problem with Knuckles' mappings in 2P (usually this shows through the SEGA screen as well, I'm guessing the same compression).

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The SEGA screen has entirely different problems than interlaced mode (2P).
    [​IMG]

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Maybe I'm of the untrained eye but I don't see an issue... at least one that'd stop me from playing.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=10693&view=findpost&p=216937

http://info.sonicretro.org/Mr._Needlemouse_(hack)

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes, that's the point.

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

It morphed into Sonic Overture. That's what I presume anyway. :V

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    Easy mode.

17. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Great job, this would've been so helpful for the adventure games to have instead of the bad hint system they had going on. :)

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    [​IMG]

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

So...no riddling monitors? No Tikal orbs that zoom out of shot?

Don't do it Sonic! It's a demonic trap!

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Oh boy, here we go again~