don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Xilla

Xilla

It'll never happen in a month of Sundays, but I'd love a Spinball remake. Imagine it with the classic Sonic physics, although part of the challenge is the stiff controls....still would be pretty nice though. I also second the Chaotix suggestion.

Haha well done! :) I would LOVE to see something done with Mean Bean Machine. Although it always beat me why no-one's done a Sonic 1/2/3k hack which replaces Robotnik with the AoStH version ;)

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

They might get away with it because:

1. SEGA seemed to let a new level in so long as it was part of original planning rather than completely new material.

2. Technically Chaotix doesn't need new levels to be 'finished', just to retool the ones that exist (eg. add unused gimmicks such as water and loops, fix the physics). That itself might be an even bigger obstacle to SEGA (though an option for an alternate mode to the original may allow it).

Thanx very much. :D True, especially since there actually are some official sprites of him.

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

While we're talking about hacks. I'd love to see a Puyo Puyo Tsu hack that "localizes" the game into Mean Bean Machine 2. You get to challenge the original 12 badniks from the first game plus several others from AoSTH. I already mentioned some of them such as the Music Destroyer, but I wonder what other badniks from the show could be used. Psuedo Sonic? Black Bot? I don't know if Breezie or Robotnik Jr. would work since they turned good.

Yes I am being somewhat serious.

4. I was actually wondering the other day why no one has tackled this on Retro. It's probably far from an easy task.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

They could be used for the three stage training course perhaps. The rest of the badniks could be looked up by one second cameos in the pilot like every other character in the game. :P

Seriously someone needs to make these games editable.

6. Well, I know that Spinball tends to be glitchy sometimes and the controls and sound quality could've been improved a little. As far as 3D Blast goes, maybe the homing attack could be added as an unlockable optional move for Sonic after beating the game, as well as Super Sonic for collecting all the emeralds (though, as the fanhacks show, there are some bugs with that feature that need to be ironed out first).

And yeah, I agree. Chaotix has a lot of potential. For example, Sonic and Tails could be added as unlockable characters to play after beating the game, just like in Sonic Crackers.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Sonic 3D Blast was the first Sonic game with a homing attack, no need to add it. =P

8. Yeah, but it was only a power-up inside a monitor... which is available only in 3 levels of the game, mind you. If, after beating the game the first time, you unlocked the homing attack as an optional move (which replaces the homing shield monitors, depending on which difficulty you select), it would feel very rewarding.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I thought it was said somewhere that SOJ got pissed off at Hidden Palace Zone being in Sonic 2.

10. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

I'd rather have it from the get-go. It's really almost a necessary addition, given how stiff 3DB's controls are. If you want to play the unaltered version, just turn it off, like with the spin dash in Sonic 1.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hmm, I suppose there is that. I forget, does the lightning shield also home in rings as well (like in S3+K)?

I suppose there could also be the option for MD/Genesis and Saturn modes too.

Haven't heard of that before. Still it got approved, and so far is still on the shelves.

So far the things we know can go in remakes are:

* Extra modes and options (though more flexible if based on unused material from the original, and thus technically part of the planned game).
    * Unused levels (not new ones, but it seems some new tweaks and attributes can be added to unused ones to make them more complete).
    * Extra characters (no known limitation is known, but at the very least regulars Knuckles and Tails are approved).
    * Easter eggs in the original gameplay, if done shrewdly enough to not ruin the core playthrough (eg. hidden areas via the extra characters, secret endings).

12. Xilla

Xilla

I never heard of SoJ being unhappy about Hidden Palace, only that they vetoed Egg Gauntlet.

13. ...or it can be like that. Sure, why not?

As long as SEGA doesn't have anything against the idea.

IIRC the electric shield only attracts rings and gives you a double jump, but if you're talking about 3D Blast, then there's no electric shield there. Only the normal shield, the fire shield and the homing shield. Though it would be a good idea to implement it there, so collecting 50 rings wasn't such a pain.

As for the MD and Saturn modes option, that is actually a very good idea. I actually thought about it before. The Genesis mode would give you the graphics, music and special stages from the Genesis version and the Saturn mode would give you the graphics, music and the FMVs from the Saturn version. Not sure about the Saturn special stages though, since they're made in polygonal 3D. And as for the PC version, I think it's best left ignored and forgotten. At least IMO.

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Technically the Blue Shield in 3D Blast protects Sonic from electrical damage, but it otherwise has no traits of the Lightning Shield.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry I thought the gold shield was an equivalent to the electric shield since it made the same noise when opened.

Making something that homed in rings and FLICKIES would cut the tedium of the game by a great deal. :P

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    What I do know is that it was certainly a struggle for Taxman to convince them. You know how SoJ is.

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    This really happened? Wow, someone at SOJ really has a bug up his/her rear end and I wonder why. Even from SOJ, I never would have guessed. I hope details of this will surface in the near future.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    "New retro zone? Lol no thanks."

"LETS MAKE HIM A WEREWOLF"

Because japan logic

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    If you had someone come in from the outside of the main team and change your creative works that then became official, wouldn't you be pissed? It's like fan fiction, some writers simply want their works to be just their works and I think this is the case here.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

This was easier to understand for newly made levels like Desert Dazzle, I do wonder why they'd be that begrudging of Hidden Palace however, which was in fact part of the original work in it's development and is quite renowned within the fan base (and seemingly the creative team if interviews are anything to go by, not SOJ which at this current state is unlikely to consist of any of the people that actually made Sonic 2). The best argument I can give against that is maybe they didn't like the new tweaks Taxman and co made to the level to complete it, though what else could they do really?