don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 - Entries, Streams, Voting Live!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Nov 30, 2013.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Sonic 2 Omochao Edition. God help us all.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    ...Do all of these contests have contestants you never expect to see? Some of the names in that list... best of luck anyways. I'm looking forward to the technically impressive hacks!

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    This is the result of 2 things:

1) This includes members from SSRG as well. Seeing as the contest is open to Sonic Retro and SSRG, some of these may be members of one and not the other.

2) Some people aren't very active with posting or forum interaction but will submit something to the contest anyway. They may be working on something quietly in the background and keeping that progress away from the public for some reason or another. You'd be surprised at how many people do this.

4. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Umm, one of my hacks is marked as incomplete when I marked it as complete. I don't know why, strange things seem to happen when you go on vacation...

If somebody could set it to complete, I'd be pretty thankful. It's called "Neo Sonic the Hedgehog".

(If you need the download link for some reason, shoot a PM my way.)

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Already had another hack like that, so I'm sure that can be fixed.

6. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Wow, thanks for fixing it!

7. I can recognize very few of these names. Hence I can only say I don't expect much good stuff, but it wouldn't be fair to outright assume it. I am looking forward to checking them out.

8. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

The Key spamming Pac-Man main Member
    OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    I assume it is StH: Extend---Oh, this has been done to death already.
    Anyway, really hoping for a hack of Sonic 4 which finally makes it feel Classic. If I can get that, I won't need Christmas presents for a decade.

9. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    You never know, one of them might be the next ColinC10. Relatively unknown to start with, quite the reputation now.

10. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Man, reading the list of hacks, I'm actually kind of disappointed. I was hoping to see an update to a popular hack, like The S Factor, or something like that.

Oh well, Metal Sonic Hyperdrive is fun, Big's Fishing Derby just might win the Froggy Trophy, and Sonic the Very Useful Engine and Sonic the Hedgehog: Egg on Toast Edition sound humorous.

There are a few other hacks I see that I'm interested in checking out, so I guess I'll just have to see...

11. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    I would just like to step in and offer my apologies. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't be able to judge this year's contest. Nothing bad has happened or anything, but I just have less time to devote to anything at the moment.

Good luck to all participants.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It's fine. A replacement judge has been recruited and will be posting later about it. Let's just say this person used to be a judge before.

13. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    So I was minding my own business when someone sent me this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOAFcBCIbg

Somehow this guy got a hand on one of the earliest revisions of my hack and claims that me as a "special friend" gave it to him.
    What is more insulting is that he removed a comment about how we (me and PTSquirrel) wanted this video and link to be removed along with asking for the source.

I wouldn't mind a bit of advertisement if it wasn't the fact that it had to be BlueCore of all people to not only steal it, but lie about who provided it to him.

So from what I gathered, there is a hole in the download system of SHC2014 that allows you to download any hack you want, provided its not partial-private or a mod (since they are obviously provided with a third party link).

I think it would be advisable to disable that somehow so this doesn't happen again

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I just let him have it in the comments section... such bullshit.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    My bad; there was a hole in the system, due to the addition of 2013's entries; I misspelled a variable in the code. Ugh.

I am incredibly sorry about this, but unfortunately there is nothing to be done if they've already downloaded it. Everything goes live on Monday, meaning everyone will have access to them then. I know this has been up since 9th August, but still, it's only had 270 views. He's apparently also already removed the download link.

The good news is that only the public entries were available, not anything else, and that it is patched now and for the forseeable future.

Again, I am incredibly sorry about this happening.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    So as of now that link on the video has been removed. I'd like to think that my intervention had something to do with it... as it was deleted AFTER I started getting on his case.

Regardless... justice prevails.

17. Bluecore

Bluecore

Virgina, USA
    Sonic & Tails - Fan Game
    I would like to again apologize for any inconvenience I may have trigger concern this conflict. I had no intention of leaking any unfinished betas without permission. In the future I will make more of an effort to sure I get permission from the true creators. I hope you will forgive any troubles I have caused.

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yep, TGC is covering this. But this year's going to be a bit different:

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    In a few hours time, the public will be able to download the entries, play them and vote in the Community Trophies. Here are the streams for Day 1 of the Contest Week:

? 11am EDT / 4pm BST until 2pm EDT / 7pm BST - SomecallmeJohnny Stream
    ? 2pm EDT / 7pm BST until 4pm EDT / 9pm BST - Spanner Stream
    ? 4pm EDT / 9pm BST until 7pm EDT / 12am BST - MegaGWolf Stream
    ? 8pm EDT / 1am BST to 9pm EDT / 2am BST - Radio Rev

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Is Cinossu going to be around relatively soon? I sent him an important PM and I wanted to make sure he got it ASAP.