don't click here

3 Game Gear Prototypes acquired - Thanks to everyone :)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. His Retrode approach should work fine. There's an official Master System adapter for it, and people have built GameGear adapters for it before. Should be the safest way to dump without opening the cart.

I assume this is probably what he's following:
    http://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/18692678762/retrode-sms-gg-plug-in-adapter-pin-out

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Also, try dumping some known game before, so we can compare the roms and see if there are dumping errors.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is the Retrode really safe for EPROMS? Won't it recognize it as a saved game and allow to accidentally rewrite it?

Also:
    Might be a dumb question, but have you checked if they really require de-soldering?

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    EPROMs can't be reprogrammed unless they're erased first (using UV light). They could be completely overwritten with 00, but only with an EPROM programmer. The chip also needs a higher write voltage on an extra pin, which probably isn't connected.

5. Congrats on getting these, folks!

If there's any other cause in regard to getting games you folks may be willing to donate to, it might be worth looking into to get the second half of a batch of Korean Samsung/Sega Pico ROM dumps checked out. More info here:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20891&view=findpost&p=793235

I'm not entirely sure but it's possible a Korean Tails and the Music Maker or Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld is among the batch.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting to see how this new demo turns out. Who knows? Maybe Sonic 2 Game Gear has it's own Hidden Palace Zone. (wishful thinking.)

EDIT: I hope the music is rippable when the demo is dumped, too. I wonder how it'd work considering it shifts between levels and it causes pausing in the song...?

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It doesn't shift between levels. The pause happens when it loads the art from each zone.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    To me it sounds like the music's 3 tracks, one assigned to each zone. The autodemo is loading each as it would the normal level assets when switching zones.

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Holy shit, nice catch! This is great work, Orengefox. I would have donated, but I'm broke at the moment. Maybe this will be able to answer some of the more puzzling aspects of 8-bit S2. If this contains the full game under the surface that can be tapped into, that will be awesome.

No, I think it sounds pretty clearly like the same track. The transition between SHZ and UGZ are the same part of the song, and it starts to loop back to what was heard on GHZ after it starts to fade out.

9. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Sorry for the late update. I'm having trouble with the internet. Hopefully that will get sorted soon. Both the Sonic Labyrinth 3/25 Prototype & Tails Adventure Review Prototype have arrived over the weekend. So now we have all three Game Gear prototypes on hand and ready to be dumped once the equipment is all set. I'll try to get the videos I've recorded of both Sonic Labyrinth 3/25 Prototype & Tails Adventure Review Prototype up and posted soon.

No worries. Like I said on IRC, I'm glad you were able to sort that out. Well done :)

That's correct. I'll be putting together the exact thing Jon did when he was testing his GG adapter out for the Retrode. Here's where I'm up to at the moment [Picture]. I just need to solder it together, test it out, and we're good to go.

That's the plan, I'll use a random GG cartridge like the one shown [Here] to see if the adapter is functioning. Then I'll dump a known game and do some comparisons between that rom and one that's already out there.

When I attempted to take the EPROM off, I did use quite a bit of force without ripping it off but...

[Picture 1] [Picture 2] [Picture 3]

By the looks of things, you would need to do a bit of de-soldering in order to get the EPROM chips off. Again, it won't be that much of an issue. It's just something I might have to do if all else fails.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thanks for the progress update, Orengefox - glad to hear the other prototypes have arrived safely. Here's hoping the dumping goes OK once your equipment's complete and tested - can't wait to see the resulting ROMs! = ) Who knows what goodies we may find once we have the chance to root around them a bit!

11. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Have you had a chance to take a look at the SL and TA carts? Are there any obvious differences from the final builds? I'm blocking off this weekend for reverse engineering effort :)

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'm curious about the other protos too, did you turn them on to see if they're working?

13. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Time for another update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMdURedtiG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPbiwQJvXg

Yeah. I can't seem to detect anything prototype-ish with these two games. These might be late build/near to final prototypes (we've had these sort of Game Gear prototypes before) or they might not. Only one way to find out when they get dumped.

Also, I think we ought to give Glitch the biggest thanks ever. I meant to post this in the last post but apparently the Sonic Labyrinth 3/25 Prototype was actually on the Tails Adventure Review Prototype cart while the Tails Adventure Review Prototype was on the Sonic Labyrinth 3/25 Prototype o_o

As for the how the dumping equipment is coming along. There's a slight problem which you always got to be prepared for in these sort of situations.

It started off with the GG Retrode Adapter which was all assembled and ready to go. I did an initial test (using any old random working Game Gear cart), and that's when things went wrong. The Retrode was reading something. However, it thought it was a Game Boy game. I opened the GB file up using a HEX program and it showed strings of data (which looked like padding). It clearly wasn't the rom. No matter what Game Gear game I stuck on, it gave me the same results.

Bare in mind, the Retrode was able to read other stuff like Mega Drive games and Super Nintendo games just fine. I tried to work around it by changing the Retrode's .cfg file but nothing. I made double, even triple sure the cables on the adapter were connected correctly. I spent quite a few hours each day trying to sort this adapter out. I can only apologize for this late update but I wanted to make absolutely certain there's was no way to get around this for now.

The next plan of attack now is to further investigate with other people on what could have gone wrong. I suppose I could get one of those SMS Retrode adapters (if there's any out there left to buy) and modify it. Might be more straight forward than what I'm doing now. Failing that, there's always the de-solder the EPROMs and put them on a EPROM reader route.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Thanks for the videos!

Yeah, only the dumps will solve the mystery on these.

I still think sending the carts to someone who can dump GG games is 100000x better than this anyway.

15. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I think this is the only place that still has some in stock:
    http://www.stoneagegamer.com/retrode-master-system-plug-in.html

Have you contacted the guy who posted the GG wiring schematics to see if he had any advice? Perhaps the current Retrode firmware has a bug which broke GG support?

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Sorry to hear there's been difficulty with the dumping equipment - hope you manage to sort it out without too much trouble! Fingers crossed that it'll get there in the end.

18. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Ditto, man, the anticipation is killing me, just so exciting, but still, what must be done must be done - and done right - and time will deliver in the end. :)

19. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    If we can hack the Autodemo to be able to explore the levels normally, I'm kinda curious if all levels are intact... and if so, whether or not it has the Speed Shoes in Aqua Lake act 2. :P

20. Vangar

Vangar

I have a feeling things will not be that complete. The autodemo does not show any badniks or monitors at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.