don't click here

Multi-carts

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm doing something stupid and I thought you might be interested:

http://segaretro.org/User:Black_Squirrel/Multicarts

Documenting multi-carts. I know people on this board own some because they usually contain Sonic games and they're novelty collectors' pieces, and while I also know this sounds painful, there can only be a finite amount. Also from a presevation perspective, most of these haven't been dumped, so there's got to be some interest here.

Haven't decided how to handle individual pages when the time comes - it doesn't seem right to have a bazillion tatty Russian carts clog up categories, but we could certainly do with scans and photos and whatever. Often when you bring this stuff together you can find patterns, which in turn helps you decipher where these cartridges have come from (most are Taiwanese, but I imagine there's only a handful of companies involved).

If nothing else this probably breaks the record for the most Sega multicarts hosted in one place, which is sort-of neat I guess. Please help (alternatively there are tons of other things to be done, including scans of legitimate stuff).

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So apparently *cough* nobody on this board owns a multi-cart.

I bet someone owns a tacky bootleg! They're all the rage in smaller markets, and yes, we're collecting scans/photos of those too, starting from today:

http://segaretro.org/User:Black_Squirrel/Bootleg_carts

Too many to comprehend? Obviously, but even if we can never hope to have a "full set", there's no reason why we can't get close. And you can't throw the "I don't know enough about this" card this time either - pop across to MercadoLivre, find an image, crop it up and upload - it requires no knowledge on the subject, just time (seriously, nobody knows anything about this stuff - that's why we're collecting it). You don't need a pink badge to edit Sega Retro - we're desperate for more hands and this community has the best hands in the business.

Also fully aware the scope for this is insane and could probably constitute a wiki of its own. That's half the fun.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I really don't man. I've only ever even played on a couple of them, and that was back in the 90s.

4. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

I only have a recently made bootleg Chinese Sonic Crackers cart and 2 (presumably from the 90's) South-American pirate SWS2B carts. I'm pretty sure there are photographs of that cartridge's sticker already up on the internet somewhere, but I can post them here or send them to you if it would actually help at all.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If I ever get a camera or scanner I can give what I have, just a couple S3 pirates and a 10-in-1 multi cart. I have also been meaning to get pictures of my "Mega Beckup" device that I don't think is documented anywhere. It is very similar to this: http://segaretro.org/Interceptor_Mega_Disk

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nothing should go through me - both Sonic Retro and Sega Retro let users upload files for themselves. The point is to encourage more people to lend a hand because there's lots of work to do.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Indeed, this.

Maybe it's time to do another targetted scan callout again? That had some results last time.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It did, but I don't know specifically what could be targeted. We need... everything... kinda.

These style of bootlegs, however, are quite simple. You find an image, like this one:
    http://mla-s2-p.mlstatic.com/cartuchos-de-sega-varios-titulos-15440-MLA20102603800_052014-F.jpg
    crop it up, and upload each cartridge separately. Obviously high quality scans/photos are preferable, but there's seventeen placeholders right there which is better than nothing. The only thing holding me back is that it takes a while.

9. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I had a "Super 2-in-1 cart" of Golden Axe and Super Shinobi (original version, pre Spider-Man copyright screen)

Cart was Japanese style, box cover was purple. Alas the cart is long gone from my collection.

You used to change which game booted up by cycling the power if my memory serves me. Always wondered how that worked, exactly...

10. nesboy43

nesboy43

I have a Game Gear multicart with 1997 written across it that I will post on here.

11. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Oh that reminds me, I have a Game Gear multi-cart. It has a stretched Sonic Triple Trouble art on it and they have slapped 'SUPREME 140 in 1' over the top of it. It even has some SG-1000 games on it I think.

12. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

Added the photos I have, hope my formatting wasn't too horrid.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Top tips for the future - rotate, crop, Sonic stuff on Sonic Retro/Sega stuff on Sega Retro.

But thanks nonetheless.

14. winterhell

winterhell

I have a bootleg cart 6in1 with Sonic 1 hacked with 40 lives, Chase HQ 2, Asteroids clone, and some more. Would that be of interest? (the box insert is from another 6in1 cart, they must have swapped them in the shop).

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Everything is of interest.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sure it wasn't hitting Reset? I have a pirate cart that switches games like this - I would assume this works because soft-resetting keeps some memory active that the boot ROM can use to see what game was last loaded and which to load next.

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I don't think I have any multicart bootlegs. I'm pretty sure I've never come across them in the wild, and I've never actively sort them out when shopping online.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I took some pictures of my Mega Meckup. I was going to add them to the wiki but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. Make a new page or just add them to this: http://segaretro.org/Interceptor_Mega_Disk

I don't know anything about it. So I'll just put them here for now: http://imgur.com/a/FUIbH

Edit: and I know this isn't a multicart, but I didn't think it needed a new topic so

Edit again: I found this advertisment, is that italian?

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If it's the same thing as the Mega Disk but with different branding, add it to that page. We can work out what the best page title is later.

And yes that is Italian.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Added, thanks.

I accidenly uploaded the images to Sonic Retro instead of Sega Retro so if anyone could delete those I would appreciate it. (Mega Beckup Unit.jpg, Mega Beckup box side 2.jpg, Mega Beckup box side 1.jpg, Mega Beckup box front.jpg)
    Sorry :(