don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm really hoping that they post updates often. Following this project became a regular part of my life back when it was open, and I really looked forward to it. Maybe this is sad, but it was one of the things that made my life more interesting and enjoyable. When the project went closed that all stopped and it bummed me out a lot. I don't see why the S2HD Team can't post updates frequently, the internet at large is going to take notice upon the final release regardless, so why not keep us fanboys in the loop in terms of development with regular (and constant) updates. Just turn down the volume when people start to piss and moan over every decision you make, because you know some will no matter what.

It's such a joy to see art assets in development after all!

Do you hear me VINCENT! *rubbing temples* :rolleyes:/>

2. Felik

Felik

Interestingly enough last time Vincent was online here is june 27 this year and his last activity was in january 2013.

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    New Sonic 2 HD information posted, http://sonic2hd.blogspot.ca

New members have been announced:

Sprite Artist:
    Lewis Cross

Level Artists:
    Jessica Jeansoulin
    Matt Allan

Animators:
    Mike Harvey
    Ricky Lee Earl

Illustrator:
    Jesús Campos

Some work submitted...

[​IMG]

After a quick google I see Illustrator, Jesús Campos, is responsible for this image many of us have seen before.

[​IMG]

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Some Chemical Plant Zone tiles already, this is a pleasant development. Here's to hoping a much smoother production cycle.

Jesús Campos looks like he has some real talent too, a welcome addition to their team.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not that I expect anything, but the idea of the mega mack in the tubes having a little bubbling animation is pretty sick to me. :eng101:

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'm responsible for 1/3 of that image. So happy to be part of it, some very funky things happening but my lips are sealed.

8. InfinityInfinity

InfinityInfinity

The Key spamming Pac-Man main Member
    OOP NORTH!
    Sonic Zodiac
    That platform looks absolutely gorgeous. I mean, all of it does, but the platform is just so detailed! Just a question; did you guys start work on HillTop before Chemical Plant? I know that HillTop was available in the alpha but I'm surprised it wasn't CPZ or another early zone as HTZ is just so much later on in the game...

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hill Top reuses most of Emerald Hill's assets, that's why. It's almost a straight recolor zone.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Nothing on that image is a final piece though, so it gets better.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sounds good, just remember that a big reason for why it took so long for there to even be a demo of Emerald Hill Zone was because too much time was spent on each piece.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    You'd be impressed in that regard, that art shown is literally what was emailed to staff for recruitment before any new members joined.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The actual reason wasn't on the art end of things.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Yeah by the time you guys made S2HD a closed community project, it was about a year before we got a demo release due to the last engine being scrapped by L0st. The debates over designs were time consuming due to the constant art clashing but by the time the art style was set in stone, you guys were pretty much streamlining the art by then.

BTW good to see you're active here again.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Ah, ok. :flunked:

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'll say as an observer and from other member's reactions, organisation & speed are the project's strongest points (apart from everyone's talent obviously) now. There's nothing to worry about this time around.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I never actually left. I just mostly hang out in the irc.

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Here is more from Campos (DeviantART's Nerkin) in 2010. I know the assets for Sonic 2 HD will reflect a different aesthetic, but I'm diggin' that palm tree. Really art deco, which Sonic always seemed to me. That's one of the things I think modern Sonic lost, they went all high def-realism and forgot Sonic's roots. Aesthetic matters damn it! Don't even get me started on movement away from electronic music to pop-rock... Yeish!

Can anyone find more art to gauge the team members "qualifications"?

[​IMG]

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Only the best have been recruited (trying not to sound too self loving), everything is in very good hands! You can see art from other new staff members on the blog page. It should be in order (animations should come after the static images but they don't) .

I have updated the wiki page for S2HD to reflect the new staff members and to include actually relevant screenshots. You can see how big the team is and who the engine is in the hands of. I also added some Sonic sprites to the history section to see how it all started off.

Edit:
    Link for lazy peepool
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_HD

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The project only started rolling when it left Sonic Retro feedback anyway.

It's good to see this back, at the time I didn't even dream having an 1920x1080 monitor haha. I only ran the Alpha Demo @ full res years later.