don't click here

3 Game Gear Prototypes acquired - Thanks to everyone :)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I'm sure this has probably been commented on before, but the beta White Hill zone layout is pretty similar to the first level of Green Hill zone in the first 8-bit sonic. I speculate that they were testing out the new engine with a familiar layout. Note that rolling down the hill and flying of the end of the ramp behaves differently in the new engine.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    To add to what everything already said, another reason is to showcase to the project stakeholders that your team have something tangible and that it meets the project's requisitions, while restricting interactivity usually because expected behaviors are unimplemented.

...Which makes me wonder if this Auto Demo doesn't actually have a normal game state within its code.

This prototype is so cool! Sonic 2 8-bit is perhaps my second most favorite Sonic game. I'm glad to see this auto demo prototype running with my own eyes. It is good to understand a little bit more about this game's development history.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    This is the most exciting classic Sonic find in quite some time. Good job everybody!

4. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    This is what I'm hoping. It would be logical to assume that they branched the VCS head to create a demo build. I doubt they'd have had time to go through removing all of the code/data that weren't required for the demo.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    First I have heard of this (been out of the loop) but wow, marble zone sounds really good for SMS.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It'd also be rather pointless, considering the tiny chances of anyone dumping the code and spreading it widely. I'm struggling to think of another example - at the time - other than S2Beta (and that in itself wasn't widely spread until 1998).

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    That video is awesome. Glad to see someone did the wiki article too.

8. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Are these the only differences that we can see in the video?

• The SEGA screen is different and plays no "SEGAAA" chant.
    • The title screen only features Sonic, who has no animation.
    • The title screen has no sound.
    • The minecart wheel sits above the rail, rather than inside
    • The lightning flashes in sky high zone are different, and at times appear to be in the priority plane (ie in front of the sonic sprite)
    • The loop in Green Hills zone appears to have larger dimensions than the final (does it?)
    • The trees and flowers of Green Hills zone are different from final
    • The palette of Green Hills zone is different from final
    • The layout of Green Hills zone is completey different
    • The layout of Underground zone Act 3 has an open sky in the beginning where sonic falls from the hanglider, whereas it's a closed cave in final
    • Sky High zone act 2 appears to have no platforms.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    They are smaller in fact.

The unique thing that didn't change was the grass, the rest is completely new.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I'm not as familiar with playing this on Game Gear as I am with the Master System version, so the dimensions seemed weird to me but I couldn't quite identify why. Partly because they are different but also because of the restricted game gear view.

There's an idea, a master system conversion...

12. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Well, the top of this looping is curved.

[​IMG]

13. A few years ago, I had created a post on the Hidden-Palace forum about Sonic 2 GG Auto Demo. I'm happy that the members of Sonic Retro have acquired the rarity! :D

In the Sonic 2 Master System (Brazilian cover), has an image of Gimmick Mountain Zone Act 1 with different details:
    http://www.smspower.org/Scans/SonicTheHedgehog2-SMS-BR-A

Should probably be another prototype, only for the Master System ...

14. Vangar

Vangar

That looks so incorrect. Its almost like they didn't have the loop complete in time for the auto demo so they used a ground tile ontop just to make it look ok in a rush.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Because this looks totally acceptable and pretty.

[​IMG]

16. Vangar

Vangar

It looks like a bunch of platforms. The other one looks like a misaligned ... thing...

17. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Quick update. The Sonic Labyrinth 3/25 Prototype & Tails Adventure Review Prototype were both shipped out on Tuesday. They should arrive to me by Friday. I won't be off work until Sunday. I'll try to see if I can post something before Sunday.

I have my tools & equipment all set an ready to basically make a GG Adapter for the Retrode 2 (which is how I'm dumping the cart). To some, it's over the top and impractical. To others (like SMSPower), it's my best bet. De-soldering the EPROM chips and dumping just the chips using an EPROM reader will be the last thing I'll do if all else fails or isn't adequate enough.

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    To have something on the show floor that people can watch on real hardware? :P

Anyway, congrats on scoring all three protos! I would have chipped in, but my funds are hurting after getting the EZ Games unit.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That can cause damage to the EPROM, can't it? I mean what if some contact deattached from it or something, we would lose the data. After trying the Retrode method, shipping it to some hardware techie if fails (drx. Tiido, Oergg, Gerbil, etc.) sounds safer.

Dunno, do what you want but I'd never try messing with the hardware. I tend to destroy delicate things easily hehe.

20. Vangar

Vangar

The last thing you want to do is modify the board! You gotta keep that proto in prime condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.