don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 - Entries, Streams, Voting Live!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Nov 30, 2013.

1. pablodrago

pablodrago

BS AS
    Awesome news, I'm glad I was wrong, but last year I realized most people have the steam version which can be a problem. So I hope you guys can do something about that, at least for the streams.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a reminder that no homebrew entries are accepted and any submitted will be removed from the contest. If we think your entry is homebrew, we'll ask you about its origins. Your entry must be based from an existing Sonic the Hedgehog game.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I've found another bug: all % characters in the description end up getting \ characters before them.

4. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Okay, stupid question but, one person can enter more than one hack, right? I'm asking this because I'm currently working on two hacks, and I'd be disappointed if I couldn't enter them both. [​IMG]

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I should hope so, I've been entering multiple hacks for years now.

6. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

You probably can, but this is my first time doing this and I wanted to make sure.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    You can enter as many hacks as you like; if you'll recall, I entered two myself last year, and was on the team of at least one more. When in doubt, consult the History section(!)

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Looks like the bug affects not only % but _ too.

9. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Hold on, I think I accidentally added a dead entry. Can you please delete it? You'll know it when you see it.

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Don't worry about it; as long as you can't/don't change it from incomplete, it won't be made public.

11. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    Just to get this straight, is it perfectly acceptable to update the mod file itself in the additional week? I'm not planning on submitting anything unplayable or significantly incomplete, but I may need to make some final touches.

12. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Yeah, that's fine. As long as the entry we get on the initial deadline is actually playable, you're good.

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Actually, iirc, as long as you have reserved an entry slot you have that additional week to work, ROM uploaded/linked or not. It's new entries overall that can't be made after the initial deadline.

14. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

That's good to know, but I'm probably going to be out most of the second deadline week (I'll have a little bit of time in the middle of the week, but I don't think I'd actually get anything done), so I'll just have to work on my hack(s) full force until the first deadline. (Yeah, real life does seem to get in the way every time, even if it's something enjoyable like being on vacation.) EDIT: So you can go and create an entry slot for your hack before it's finished, but wait until the deadline to actually give them the hack itself?

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    You could... but we as judges probably wouldn't be too happy about it if you left it until the very, very last moment to upload something. Give us something to sink our teeth into and leave a note at the top of the description, or even the title, saying "hey! I'm going to update this!" or similar. That way we'll know to wait until it's gone before making any final opinions, but we'll still have something to try out and get a general idea.

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You have a week left to enter something into the Hacking Contest if you want to be a part of it - no late entries will be accepted.

Remember you have a week after that to finish up any updates you want to make, the judges will look at your final entry.

It's also worth noting that this year we do have a bunch of people who will be streaming the entries as well as uploading reviews (more information on that will be posted at some point) - anyone who submits a Partial Private entry but wants video coverage should contact a judge so that is arranged.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I can't believe I'm actually planning to submit something, never thought I'd have the skill to participate in something like this. I'm rather excited about what I'm working on though. *wink wonk*

I still need to get my username changed before then

edit: I was trying to figure out the entry-adding stuff and I accidentally created one I didn't want. I'm not entirely ready to set up an entry yet, so is there a way to remove it or something?

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Just keep it as a placeholder you want to use; it won't go away or break anything just to keep it there as it is. It also guarantees you an entry spot if you forget to create one in time. :P

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Sounds good. I'm worried about trying to set anything up team or entry-wise until I have more content to speak for, as it were, but at the same time my excitement is tempting me greatly. Ahh the wonders of first-world problems, eh? ;P

And Cinossu, did you get my PM?

20. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Um, hey, I found something you might want to fix. It's supposed to display your avatar beside the comments you post, but rather than respecting your avatar's URL, it sticks whatever it is in front of "http://forums.sonicretro.org/uploads/". It may work for some people who somehow upload their avatar, but I'm not one of them, and a lot of us aren't.

For instance, my avatar's URL is "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oi91xq0i5y7gj6m/AshuraFight.gif", so it seems to make the URL for the image displayed beside my comments with "http://forums.sonicretro.org/uploads/https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oi91xq0i5y7gj6m/AshuraFight.gif". Because of this, all I see is a broken image icon.

Yeah, I knew how you feel. I was "RetroUser", but when it came to hacking and having a good alias in general, I hated it, and I wanted it changed before the contest took place.