don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I actually heard one dude tell me that he had heard Ep 2 was bad while Ep 1 was alright... scary people out there... there are.

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The crashes are actually a single issue: for some people the game crashes whenever the GameCircle library tries to unlock an achievement. In your case it's always crashing at the end of EHZ1 because you're finishing it under 35 seconds. The game was developed on prototype Fire TV hardware to meet its launch, so unfortunately I can't predict stuff like this. Unless I get directly assigned to work on bug fixing for this SKU, you'll have to wait until I casually come across a fix in spare time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ep. 2 is worse than Ep. 1 because it's Dimps at their Dimpsiest. Pits everywhere, crushing deaths where there aren't. I mean, yeah, ice cap meets carnival night is a new idea, but it goes together about as well as peanut butter and rye bread. Sure, you can eat the sandwich but the ingredients are better off being put in other things. Can't blame them for doing weird shit since they have to at least make it stand out from Generations somehow, but it's not a marked improvement in any way other than the fact that having everything be rendered 3D looks marginally nicer.

God, how did they manage to make the music sound even buzzier and more abrasive though? It's like they wanted it to sound like Mark Miller's stuff but couldn't figure out how and wound up with a chorus of buzzsaws.

4. Energy

Energy

Taxman - any idea on the behaviour I describe below?

Basically what happens after 20 seconds to cause the game to slow down? Can post a video if it would help.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So do you guys need a normal model Fire TV to fix the issue or a special devkit model?

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I picked up the (free) Amazon version and find that I can't do anything online with it. Achievements don't work and there's no multiplayer option. Not a huge deal but I'm curious if anyone knows about how to fix this?

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Are you sure you're talking about the same game? The idea of pits everywhere and crushing deaths fits Episode 1 to a T, and I'll take Ep2's soundtrack over Ep1's any day.

+ - [/opinions]  

8. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I think this is due to it being the Amazon version of the app, and at the time, Taxman didn't have access to the API Amazon eventually provided that was the equivalent of Google Play or Game Center, and any app found in the Amazon App store has to adhere to Amazon's guidelines since their app store is the only way how you can get apps onto their proprietary devices like the Kindle Fire or the Fire TV.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So shit you're saying that the Amazon Ver. is a half gimped version? is their any plans to fix that?

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The Amazon GameCircle SDK doesn't have multiplayer so we weren't able to include it - it only provides the Achievement stuff if the user has it enabled.

11. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    That really sucks that the development was so rushed, but hopefully something happens soon. If the crashes and the input lag were gone it would be a lot of fun, I think. I understand getting the physics and everything exactly the same as the original version (like my video) might be impossible. Working on Skullgirls, I know how hard it is to squash bugs though.

12. Miles3298

Miles3298

The Proto Palace cheat does nothing for me - was it removed? I have the previously free US Amazon version for Android. Achievements seem to be broken (not to a crashy point, the menu option doesn't connect), but I blame that more on myself not knowing how to set that up.

Lovely remaster here, by the way. I love the added airlifting mechanic and the way Hidden Palace was handled. Boss rush is cool too.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Came across a really irritating bug in the iPhone version of Sonic 2 the other day. Game over'd on a Sonic & Tails file, and then loaded my Knuckles file. Tails showed up as well so that was all fun and games until I returned to the main menu and my Knuckles file had turned into a Sonic & Tails one. IIRC, the same glitch (or one very similar) also appeared in S1 at first.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The topic for bug reports is over here, so he can look them up in the same place.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So, I'm wondering after reading Namco is pulling the (terrible) iOS port of Tales of Phantasia... since iOS 8 is bringing in sweeping changes to games, will this affect the Retro Engine titles or are you updating all three to work with iOS 8?

I imagine Sonic 4 is going to be left to rot. :v:

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sonic 4 has already been left to rot. E2 hasn't worked since iOS7.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Ahh. Episode 2 is still working on Kit Kat for us Android users, but Episode 1 is extremely unstable.

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    He doesn't need to update anything, they all work fine in iOS 8.
    I don't know what sweeping changes you're referring to, the new graphics API is just an option to use instead of OpenGL. I suspect most developers with multi-platform games will probably continue to use OGL unless they really want to increase performance.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Funnily enough, Episode 1 still works fine on iOS 7 (or at least the iPad version).

Yeah, even if multiplatform compatibility wasn't a problem, there's not much point in the Retro Engine adopting Metal when it's not exactly pushing hardware boundaries anyway. Performance is practically flawless as-is.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Okay, then it's less Metal and more the game was just performing terribly reception-wise. Many in the Tales community consider it worse than the GBA version (which is impressive)