don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's pretty cool, Sonica, it'd be great to see any of your works in Sonic 2 HD. I still remember your old Sonic 4 project, the artwork for it was amazing.

Also agree that the obsessiveness was from the community version of the project. I can't stop laughing that some of them possibly argued over the shade of blue in the sky at some point, that was an almost microscopic focus on attention to detail.

Thank God, that's a relief. I'm glad the actual team has better standards than that. While I'm at least better as an artist than I was back then when they nagged me, jeez, even now I'd laugh at them for asking. I can't use Inkscape, or any other vectoring tool, for piss, and I'm pretty sure that's a basic requirement with these kinds of projects.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    My Sonic 4 project was cool and looking perfect, the problem was everything was new and designing level art gets annoying fast, and I'd only drawn a couple of things.

I applied for artist, would have applied for animation but I like art so so so much more. Kinda wish I could post my submission but I don't think it'd be a good idea at all.

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, that's the same reason I canned my last Sonic fan game, even though it had the most promising features I've created for one. I was constantly breaking stuff with my external level editor in its alpha stages, and I had already gotten frustrated enough making perfectly tiling background art for Topaz Ivory Zone. It got very discouraging and frustrating fast, so I moved on to other things.

I'd be the type to apply for artwork myself. As much as I love animating, I know I still have a ways to go in that department.

4. Tetrarch

Tetrarch

I'm being cautiously optimistic. I hope they'll get a demo running on the new engine in the near future.

5. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    You know at this point y'all should just go an make an entirely new Sonic game. As much as it would defeat the purpose of doing an HD remake, I'd like to see the production values and art of this applied to a full fledged fan sequel. Or hop on over with Strife and make beautiful Freedom Planet sequels together.

I'm happy to see the project alive though. After the drama of the last attempt I would hope you guys know how to entirely avoid a similar scenario.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    S2HD is back from the dead, eh? Sounds cool and all but personally I'd agree with Tiller on this one. With its prior demise, and the recent string of success from Taxman and Stealth, ANOTHER fan Sonic Genesis nostalgia run seems eh, UNLESS its going towards a new Sonic game. Nonetheless if you get something of the ground, I'll definitely check it out.

7. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    I was gonna attempt to see if I could recreate the art style at all with some Chemical Plant Zone stuff, but then I realized I wouldn't have the patience to do more tiles it and it doesn't even look all that solid, haha.

[​IMG]

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    It could use some work... sure, but its certainly not bad. Better than anything I could do. My main criticism though is it does clash a lil bit with Sonic as well though. But if it were for placeholder art so other aspects could get done, I don't see a major issue...

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I dug up some old art I did ages ago, the top one about 2010 (never showed it) and the bottom one... 2008? Back in the days where I was using a cheap flash program to draw -_-

A funny comparison. I remember when I thought the middle one was anything good :S top one could still use work though, but I found out they had one already. Good to laugh at myself.

10. Falk

Falk

I think the badnik's head shape (especially the non-concave profile between top of head and snout) is too iconic to modify.

Yes, it's a S2HD thread. It's therefore nitpick time.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Are we gonna have 4 pages of palmtree shading again? :v:

12. Falk

Falk

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes I will change that right now, looking at it I also think I should also change the screw position 2x higher, and the eyes should be more ov...
    [​IMG]

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There is no shading - the leaves are translucent because composite video :specialed:/>

But this is fundementally the problem with this project - everyone has their own idea of what "HD" should look like. You bloat up the assets from 1992 and then realise that they suck too much, which opens the door to in-fighting. Should the artists take creative license? Should it be more like the concept art (because we can't decide if those badnik images were the intended designs, or working designs)? Should it be a cleaned up hq2x filter, in which case... why bother at all? etc.

We didn't have the Taxman/Stealth ports back then. Sonic 2 doesn't really need "modernising" anymore.

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Not sure what you meant by "doesn't need modernising anymore". For me, Sonic 2 HD has always been a love letter to the original. We don't need it, it is candy. When you were young your brain filled in these details, Sonic 2 HD is like a drug for me, it makes the entire game seem like it did the first time I saw it as a 5 year old.

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I would hope we avoid nitpicking here, because then this thread would be virtually impossible to keep up with. :specialed: I can kinda see why Sonic 2 HD became a closed project. It's so much harder to keep everything consistent when half of the community has very different ideas of how the game should look.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah true I'm glad its no longer our problem, we all just have too different ideas of what "HD" should be. but it would be nice if one of the project leaders swung on by and said hi to us.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Wonder who's left over from the old team, It'd be a shame to see a change in quality in animation or art because of different team members. Unless the quality actually gets better...

19. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    Don't worry, I'm certain it will at least look like this:

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist a joke.. But while I'm here, I might as well just say I'm really, really happy to see this project making a comeback, especially if it'll receive the IOS upgrades such as Hidden Palace!

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well obviously if I get on the team the quality will skyrocket :v:

It's funny when people suggest things like 'oohhhh all the sonic game gear levels in hd' or 'hidden sonic 2 levels' as if they haven't got enough to deal with, with Sonic 2 :') No dig at you, Caverns.