don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Shouldn't we just keep buying the good games (as we've been already doing wih Generations and the remakes), so that they get the clue that "good games = better sales"? I really don't get all this "Let's buy this game we may not even like because... profit!".

Also, this is getting kinda off-topic.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Well, I can list Sonic Genesis... but, you have a point, in games, I can't find any examples besides that and these. Hardware, sure, there are a bunch, especially emulators, which could be described as software-based clones of hardware. I'll settle on Clone being 'out of bounds', I conjured up a new, equivalent-but-without-the-bagage word, 'rewrite'. A lesser remake where only code is redone. I'll have to further research this 'Conversion', Wikipedia really doesn't help, it lists everything as a conversion.

Sorry for misinterpreting you. I was expecting someone to get defensive over the Remasters. Yeah, I've decided to settle on 'Remasterings'; I'm grouping the 'Re's together as similar things:
    Rewrite, new engine, otherwise same game. Remaster, 'Enhanced Rewrite'. Remake, total overhaul.

3. Lambda

Lambda

I was thinking about Genesis, but since it still has the same characters and is SUPPOSED to be the same game, I'd say it was a conversion as well... just not a good one.

"Rewrite" isn't a bad new term. I dig it. I think "conversion" tends to mean the same thing, though. A under-the-hood overhaul that's essentially the same on the outside. But either way is fine for me.

Yeah, I was being jokingly over-defensive. Glad we've reached an understanding!

4. Falk

Falk

guys I can't tell you why but its imperative everyone buys lightning returns

trust me on this one

:ruby:/>

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It see it more as a "If this Western made game fails then all Japan has to do is point at it why they should never let a Western made Sonic game happen again".

6. In that case, when they're released see which is the better game, and support the one that's the least shit.

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I only saw Stealth's comment on Twitter, but I guess to add my own view - he's certainly not saying "you must buy x copies of certain games to make other things happen". Holding things to ransom is just silly, and I believe games need to be judged on their own merits. No one should feel obligated to buy a game if it turns out to be rubbish.

Obviously, as developers and even fans of the series we have our own views on how the franchise could be handled (which if you can guess are pretty different to Sonic Boom). That said, we understand how and why this new direction has come about and are hopeful Sonic Boom is a success since it can only help creativity and variety flourish within the Sonic brand in future. It would certainly be a shame for things to shrink and have little to no western developer involvement otherwise.

I personally had a chance to talk with one of the developers of the 3DS version at E3, and it was good fun exchanging our experiences working on Sonic.

P.S. I refer to all the Retro Engine versions of Sonic as "remasters" :v:/>

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    To me, it just sounded like Sega has a lot riding on Sonic Boom, which is no shock given the magnitude of branding it has. If this doesn't work and the whole thing tanks before they can recoup, then it will NOT be a fun time for SoA. Remember, Boom is largely a western attempt to try Sonic out, the largest to date. For all the complaining we've done about how SoJ handles the brand, there's a chance for SoA to step up and show how we do it.

The problem is, the U.S. attempt is very radical, and that it looks very much like your typical PS2-era platformer (read: Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc) A friend of mine who went to E3 (and will be providing a supplementary quick second opinion for both versions) wasn't very thrilled with the result and we can see that most E3-goers that did give it a spin left very much divided.

But I think further discussion down this thread should be kept to Sonic Boom. The jist of it is, SoA has a lot banking on this. I'm not saying blindly support it even if you don't want to, but understand what's happening and why it's important.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Bumping because Sonic 2 is free on Amazon Appstore today and tomorrow.

• Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Sonic-Hedgehog/dp/B00HAPRVWS
    • Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-of-America-Sonic-Hedgehog/dp/B00HAPRVWS

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Awesome, downloaded it to my other phones. tell me whats the android OS limit for installing this game again?

Its pretty cool to see people talking about Sonic 2 on the news stations today.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    What's this now?

12. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The Amazon deal made it to the news networks.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    My local news networks this morning were talking about the Amazon deal and kept bringing up Sonic 2 as a "you can download apps like" then they had their chatter about how they downloaded it for their kids and whatnot. it was pretty cool to hear that today.

14. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    If Sonic 2 is one of these top downloaded apps, you would think that would signal to Sega that there is a market for classic style games. There is no reason that classic Sonic cannot coexist with modern in a similar fashion to Mario.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Also understand the mobile market is a very volatile place. Your game can succeed, but it's not a sign of establishing a series.

It also doesn't help that, in terms of the fanbase, only the older fans tend to like the classic games and they're also an EXTREMELY picky bunch. Look how Sonic 4: Episode I was roasted alive, for example.

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So, with the acquisition of a used iPad, I finally got to play the TaxStealth games, and I enjoy them. It helps that the big screen makes it easier to get used to the virtual buttons.

17. Energy

Energy

So I've had the games on my iPhone since launch but with the Amazon offer I got sonic 2 for my Android tablet. Has anyone experienced the bug where 20 seconds in to the game you get slowdown? It works silky smooth prior to that time. Then you go on to a special stage and the same happens - beautifully smooth for 20 then the game slows. Each time the engine swaps the process repeats.

Music is unaffected just the game - it's a constant rate of slow down too, so it's not the tablet struggling.
    TThe tablet is an LG gpad 8.3 with kitkat.
    Any ideas?

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bad example, S4E1 was grilled because it was an overall bad sonic game it felt like a cheap copy of sonic 2 then a real sequel.

19. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Played the Android version Sonic 2 on the Amazon Fire TV the other day. Disappointed that it crashes after the first goal post in Emerald Hill 1 and often the menu textures glitch out. It's... very glitchy in general, though I wonder how much it was tested for that platform? With how fast it came out, doubtful a lot, or at all.

Also, I couldn't do this no matter how hard I tried:
    http://youtu.be/5iJr0y2FqkQ

The results were often erratic based upon where I managed to land after the initial jump, and never reacted like the original version. My only guess is because it's widescreen the enemy movement (and thus final placement?) becomes changed between this version and the original? I dunno.

Lots of input lag, too.

(Plus the chimes for the sparkles on the title screen aren't timed properly; but this isn't anything major compared to the above.)

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Sonic 4 ep. 2 would be a better example, that game was actually pretty good IMO, but the way a lot of people talked about it you'd think it was just as bad as ep. 1.