don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I will agree the quantity is ridiculous and they are definitely doing too many things at once. They must really expect Sonic Boom to make a good amoount of income, because at this rate I don't see how SEGA's going to fund all this if their financial situation isn't the best.

I say this and then I remember this is probably all SEGA's doing right now.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    That's what irks me the most. Unleashed onward was a fairly stable brand strategy, which gave Sonic an actual identity, and a fairly good one at that. Sonic isn't really known to have a good track record. Messing with the formula and general direction has consistently led the franchise to disaster. Just when Sonic was finally on a clear path, it seems Sega felt that Sonic cannot be stable. What is wrong with stability? It's worked so well for Mario. And with a track record of great mainline games, Mario has enough clout to experiment with spinoffs and not be criticized for some deviation (Super Mario RPGs, Mario Sports titles). Sonic's main titles for most of his career haven't had universal acclaim, and spinoffs are usually received worse because they take what people want out of Sonic, which wasn't being satisfied to begin with, further off the path. Negative feedback loop. There has to be a good core to spin off of, and Sonic is in danger of losing it right now.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Hey guys, from an interview with Iizuka in November 2011:

http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/11/iizuka-we-want-to-reach-the-widest-possible-audience/

So yeah, he pretty much told us we'd be seeing movies and a tv show more than two years ago. :v:

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Maybe they should learn to create consistent and well tested games and soup up their previous classics in HD first, before jumping down everyone's throats with a Spin-off TV series, game and bunch of yearly movies.

I really don't like the direction the franchise is heading. Too much fluff and nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, too little evolution.

My pennies-worth.

5. Xilla

Xilla

Probably along the same lines as Sonic X this one: Robotnik does something, sending himself and Sonic & Co to the real world and they try to find a way back.

As long as there's no Chris I'll be ok with this!

6. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Joke's on you Sega, Sonic was already dead to me!

Jokes aside, live action, 'Sonic being thrown into the real world', honestly if that were the premise, and if it isn't handled like X, I could only imagine the depressing beginning... Sonic winds up on Earth for some bizarre reason, probably in New York City, after some attempts at humour with Sonic trying to talk to humans only for them to hear typical hedgehog noises, Animal Control pursue him, somehow he's caught and put in a cage in some dank building, Sonic cracks a joke about how "this must be what being inside a badnik is like". He's adopted, and despite his efforts to escape his owners, he constantly fails (begin fail montage). Some time later Eggman threatens the world and somewhere in the ensuing mess, Sonic's adopters are put in immediate danger, with Sonic just seconds away from Eggman, who is making his retreat. Sonic gives up his persue of Eggman so he can save his owners, who he's developed an affection for. You can guess how the rest goes.

Call me closeted, I don't watch many films, but these 'cast into the real world', especially in the case of animals, seemingly always play out like this. So when I saw 'live action' and the following speculation, my mind jumped straight to this. Less 'Sonic VS The World', more 'Sonic adapts to life in our boring-ass world'. It doesn't help that, in the event of lacking information, your mind fills in the gaps with such pessimism... at least in my case.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I read Vs the world and I immediately thought of Scott Pilgrim VS the World. I don't think this would work but if some of the spirit from that movie came into this film I'd be okay with that.

By that I mean sure it's live action but it doesn't limit itself to real world rules for every character that isn't a hedgehog. Like it's still got a cartoon feel to it even though it's live action. Idk if it's fun I think it'd be a nice watch (emphasis on fun, not annoying / a movie that easily fades with the times. Looking at you, Lorax/any Seuss adaption).

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The main problem I have with this thing is the fact that its going down the same fucking road that other LA-Cartoon/CGI hybrids have tried and unless you got the right people behind this, its a 98.9% chance of failure and this doesn't have the right people behind it at all (why do you think were making smurf jokes? not just because of lolblue).

The best solution to this is to just save the script, trash the LA side of this, and have Marza do straight CGI and have the people who were going to do the LA parts voice their CGI counterparts. Sonic and the rest are going to look great with Marza's CGI work (Unleashed short) we already know that so visuals arn't needed to know what were expecting, so long as they don't go for GRITTY REALISM we'll be fine.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This was my first thought exactly. The one flicker of hope keeping the thought of this being decent alive is it being by the Night of the Werehog guys, but a FILM FRANCHISE this early? No no no. Concentrate on one first before declaring that.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    They plan to put out a Star Wars movie each year for a while. So I don't see why they can't do a Sonic movie a year. Maybe it won't even be the same team doing each movie.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    There already HAS been a CG/Live-action thing:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeAdTHGOiU[/youtube]
    [​IMG]

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    At the very least I hope they don't change the design of Sonic into a freakish combination of realism and cartoony like the Smurfs or Yogi Bear.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    See? now whats wrong with humans like those? I wouldn't mind CGI Unleashed looking humans.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Are you really asking about what's wrong with Flo? Really? :v:

But seriously the CG humans in that ad aren't exactly great looking.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well, I'm just stricktly talking about the CGI in that, Flos fine in my book :v:. I really wouldn't mind those humans as a base for a CGI look and can be improved upon.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I would. First off, we're not going to get humans like that because they'll be live-action. Second, the ones in the ad look incredibly generic.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I can only hope this is as fun to watch as that fan film. Live action Robotnik yes please.

Edit: also Jaleel White voicing Sonic please

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know that, I'm just saying if they would ever to reconsider this trainwreck into a full CGI movie like I suggested earlier then I would be okay with that.

I'm sure they are, it was just a 30 second short after all.

19. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Sure is the Sonic Cycle in here. True fact: everyone in here freaking out just because they saw that it's going to be a CG/live-action hybrid has no functioning thought processes at all. It's actually a good thing, since that means they can't read what I'm saying. Literally every good thing that has appeared in the Sonic franchise within the last decade (like, all 3 or 4 of them) had something notable pop up before anything substantial was revealed, and you guys jumped all over those things like the four horsemen themselves demanded it.

That being said, I'm sure 90% of the opinions expressed thus far are just members bandwagoning for the hell of it. It tends to flow back and fourth like that, with one post in the negative or positive being followed by 20 more that agree.

20. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Marza's handling the animation side, so probably not. We'll see Sonic in the same style that he's always been.

As for the voice acting, I'm really hoping Sega gets Roger and Mike on board to voice Sonic and Eggman respectively. The rest of the Main 4 can obviously be played by *Insert A-List celebrities here*, but at least keep Sonic and Eggman exactly the same.