don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Another one here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqC7VEJOEGU

They do miss some of the gameplay the GameXplain video had though.

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member

3. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    My concerns have finally been put to rest; this game is exactly how I predicted it to be: Jak & Daxter but with Sonic characters. GameXplain's comments around the 5:50 mark, good God! If I wanted to play Jak & Daxter, I would go play freaking Jak & Daxter! Spoiler alert: I don't. I absolutely loathe this kind of "western" platformer.

But hey (and I never though I would say this about such a minimal thing), the the ring loss is looking nice! I commend them for that. The physics are looking very nice as well... except for the occasional "fall through the floor" that GameXplain mentioned.

The 3DS version is looking... better? But those "rival" races are just Sonic Rivals, and we all know how that turned out.

Oh boy, I could make some nice video editing here, by replacing it with footage of Marble, Spring Yard and Scrap Bain everytime he says "Sonic is all about speed", and replacing it with werehog footage when he says "what if speed take the backseat and let the combat and exploration take the driver seat for once?".

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Gameplay footage will be removed? Goddammit.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Because EVERYONE missed that. >_>

Also, is Lyric a complete replacement as the main villain in the WiiU game? Removing the series' primary antagonist entirely is a bit weird.

6. EllisG2

EllisG2

3DS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJOMEBf52o&feature=youtu.be

Wii U video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHy2NcxFHk0&feature=youtu.be

Unlisted videos, sorry about that. Don't want to get [whoops] by Sega's legal team this morning.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It sucked in Heroes because half of the voice acting was shit, because large chunks of the "banter" were tutorial text or obvious plot exposition, because some of it was repeated within a level or between levels, and because you heard it over and over again if you lost a life and had to repeat an area. It's not a bad idea, just a horrible execution.

8. Endri

Endri

I got one once. Those were some fun times!

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Lets replace our normal robotic suit wearing tech-savvy mastermind who wants to wants to use an army of robots to destroy the world with a new robotic suit wearing tech-savvy mastermind who wants to wants to use an army of robots to destroy the world. Dangit Sega!

10. Lambda

Lambda

Looks interesting. I wish the combat was quicker and more flow-y instead of a button-mashing fest. That'd be WAY more fun (and more Sonic-y). Besides that the lighting looks SUPER flat and boring. Like, where there even shadows? I didn't see any.

Maybe that version is still too early to have that level of detail.

Color me as still intrigued. The 3DS version especially looks cool, if not a bit slow.
    (I'm not big on that boomerang mechanic so far, either.)

By the way, do we know who is writing for this game?

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    There's a lot of new Wii U/3DS screenshots and concept art along with hi-res versions of older concept art on SEGA's Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/14306471532/in/photostream/

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    3DS version looks slow as molasses, honestly. Aside from that it doesn't seem too bad.

13. Amnimator

Amnimator

Am I the only one for this gameplay on the Wii U version? I honestly couldn't care less if it's a Sonic-like game or not. All I care about is that if it's a good game. Since the similarities with Jak and Daxter are present, I'd probably enjoy this game because I loved Jak and Daxter. I'd prefer this type of gameplay over Unleashed, Colors, or Generations any day. Everyone has their own flavors. I like mint ice cream, others like chocolate more. I hope they'd end up making a sequel on other systems to get it in the hands of more people though, because lets face it, most people would just get the 3DS version.

Also, those of you comparing the WiiU version to Werehog levels, I don't see the resemblance. The gameplay is clearly more based off of Jak and Daxter, which was nothing like the Werehog. Just because you have to fight the baddies doesn't mean it's a beat 'em up. I guess people got too used to boosting through each and every badnik there is. At least in the classic games some badniks had me worried. Recently they're just a free refill for the boost.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So like I thought. It'll be a good game, but not what I want from a Sonic game.

I'll probably get it and just do my best to ignore the Sonic parts of it. Which sounds super damn weird, but yea.

15. Endri

Endri

I'll give you that it doesn't look bad (even though GameXplain kind of gave it away that the provided footagelooked much more fun than the actual thing). But I would prefer if Sonic stayed Sonic. Nothing against who likes Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank's style of gameplay; it just doesn't do it for me. Truth be told, I found the physics in these footages to be better than the physics of Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Generations and Lost Hope.

16. Machenstein

Machenstein

If only more people had this perspective when it comes to opinions.

I'm still indifferent towards Sonic Boom. It doesn't look terrible or anything, but it still looks like Sonic is trying to be other things than Sonic. Last year it was Sonic trying to be like Mario. Now it's Sonic trying to be like Jak and Daxter. I know Sonic Boom is a spin-off series, but it would be nice if the series would stop changing identities so much. I already know it's going to polarize a lot people, and we don't need that after Lost World. The Wii U game looks like a generic 6th-gen platformer, and the 3DS version is practically Sonic Rivals 3.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I hate to continually make this comparison, but Nintendo manages to do different things with Mario without having to go to great lengths to redefine the character. All the different Mario games still feel like Mario games. But this doesn't feel like a Sonic game. It feels like an action adventure game with a Sonic skin.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't what I really want. The TV show is great, but this game just kinda feels like...I dunno. Like it's missing the point? I'll enjoy it by it's virtues as a game alone (though the speed sections look dreadful by ANY standard), but I won't be able to enjoy it as a Sonic game.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Wow. This...this is a monstrosity.

19. serpx

serpx

I could careless now how they do things with the franchise, as long as they can make good fun quality Sonic titles. So burnt out from being interested in a Sonic title, and then it being a terrible experience.

Glad Sonic Generations came out awesome. Hope this brings some life back into Sonic.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Cut out combat stages from the Wii U version and it's saveable.

3DS needs to be sped up, but in typical portable version fair, I've terrible expectations for it anyway.