don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Despite Sticks looking a little ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER on us, and I shiver just saying that, I'm fine with this. She sounds charming to me. The voice is... yeah... But she has a personality that really shines through. And apparently, the creative staff have been watching too much Atop The 4th Wall. [​IMG]

Honestly, that voice kind of reminds me of Elmyra from Tiny Toons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxvzEfI0BFU

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Pretty much everyone is saying she sounds like Cree Summer, but she's actually Asajj Ventress from Star Wars.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Given SoJ's stance on things, don't expect Sticks to ever appear in non-Western media.

4. Lambda

Lambda

I honestly don't care either way. I guess what I'm saying is, as long as Sonic Boom is a thing, Sticks should be a thing.

I really have no strong feelings on the actual character. I just want to see them actually try to develop a character, and stick to their guns. Y'know?

5. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Sticks. Missed opportunity to have some other character named "Stones". I'm sure a certain member with royalty status (as well as a hand full of old farts) on this forum would have found that amusing *smirks at Blanche* =P

I remember back in the day going on about how Marine shared similar traits to Cream and now Sticks sharing similar traits to Marine. Mark my words, there will be a new character that will share similar traits to Sticks :v:

Still, it's not uncommon for there to be Sonic characters (in the video game series) that share similar traits/designs. At the same time, there's plenty that are very different from one another. I personally like the design of Sticks. Could do with taping her mouth shut but hey, you can't win'em all.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I though the sole reason for Big Red Button using CryENGINE 3 was because the developers don't know how to create a game with anything else. Like WB Games and Microsoft's subsidiary studios, whose employee only know how to work with Unreal Engine 3, sort of like a group of friends who only know how to make games in GameMaker, or RPGMaker. I've visited offices where people only worked exclusively with UDK, CryENGINE 3 or Unity. God.

Okay okay, that was the funny reason. The serious reason is because the studio already have the licenses to develop and publish CryENGINE 3 games, plus the developers are already very well acquainted with it, so why invest resources, time and money on anything else? What I'm trying to say here is that the fact that they used a multiplatform engine alone is not a good indication that they could have intended the game to be multiplatform.

7. Jean

Jean

I don't dislike the thought of Sticks as a whole, just the voice actor. I find her voice more irritating than nails on a chalkboard. I believe Sega could have easily found a better voice actor.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well, keep in mind she may have been directed to give Sticks that particular voice. For all we know the director could have straight up asked her to imitate Cree Summer.

It's a neat design, but I wish they could have mixed things up just a little more to keep her from looking too much like Marine.

9. Vangar

Vangar

Oh man. Sticks. More like Shicks. Shitks. Shit.

Sticks could be up there with the worst name for a Sonic character, right up there with 'Big'. And oh joy, they found the worst voice actor in history to voice her. Even as a kid I would find this annoying. What is their target audience, 3?

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Actually, I thought Sticks voice kind've reminded me of Vanellope Von Schweetz (from Wreck-it Ralph).

11. gold lightning

gold lightning

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this would be the 3rd game if I'm not mistaken.

Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games, and Sonic Boom.

If I'm right, this game should mark the end of the deal.

12. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    Say hello to a ton of new details.

The SEGA blog has just published a new press release about Sonic Boom for Wii U and 3DS.

The two Sonic Boom titles on Wii U and 3DS are standalone games, with the Wii U game entitled Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and the 3DS one called Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.

The press release also contains details about the new villain, Lyric, an interesting mechanic called the Enerbeam and confirmation that the Wii U version will feature the CRYENGINE by Crytek. Both games will be playable at E3.

13. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    So GameExplain got a hold of the 3DS and Wii U demos. In my opinion, it doesn't look half-bad!

14. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    [​IMG]

as I expected, the in-game models are much better now.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://blogs.sega.com/2014/06/02/sonic-boom-games-at-e3-2014/

According to this, the games will be released in November 2014. Also, for the record, the Wii U and 3DS versions now have seperate names. Wii U version is called Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and the 3DS version is called Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. Also, the new villain:
    [​IMG]

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    It kinda looks similar to Unleashed with the different style of stages (speed and "adventure" stages, which look like the werehog and they don't really look that hot). I'm not so sure about that Enerbeam thing either.The platforming looks interesting with the character specific routes, however.

Oh, and the Heroes style in-stage bantering is back.

Wow, the 3DS version looks really, really boring and slow.

17. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Wii U: Aw hell no. Looks like a poor man's version of the WEREHOG combat, and that's saying a lot. Everything I can't stand about western modern platformers appears to be present, and after the visuals of Generations and Lost World this looks butt ugly.

3DS: I can maybe get behind this, it looks alright. The idea of a Sonic metroidvania might be interesting, and for some reason it looks a lot more colourful than the Wii U game.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Of course the videos are made private while I'm writing a front page post about this. :argh:

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Fuck. Does anyone have any other way of viewing those preview videos? I wish I was able to download them before they went private.

20. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Unless they remove this one too: