don't click here

Wolfenstein 3D: Mega Drive Version

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, May 24, 2014.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I noticed this existed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHB51TS5a0

often when you get ports of Wolf3D or Doom to "lesser" systems, it never really gets past the tech demo stage. But this is a full port of episode 1, with music and Nazis and everything.

Supposedly there was an official port in the works back in the day - I don't think it got as far as this.

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    That's really impressive. Do you know if it works on real hardware?

3. winterhell

winterhell

Wow. If only it was released 12 years ago.
    Puts to shame all the mega drive FPSs.

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Last I tried it (around beta 6) it ran just fine in hardware.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    GENESIS DOES

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Damn, that's really impressive. The voices sound real good for being on that hardware. Wonder why it was cancelled?

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

this is a homebrew port still in development, not the canceled version. Further, I'd always heard the canceled version was intended to be a Sega CD release.

8. Felik

Felik

Well excuse me! Zero Tolerance was great, I loved it.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This still puts it to shame though.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I recently saw this over at Reddit a few weeks ago, I mistakenly thought it was Chilly Willy's 32x port at first. :v: This is truly impressive, Wolfenstein is great so I need to check this port out. :)

11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ah, my bad. ^_^; Still impressive either way.

A Sega CD version? I'd hate to see the load times on that. Granted it probably wouldn't have been that bad but who knows.

12. Jean

Jean

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I will have to try it out tomorrow.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Why do genesis games that do software scaling always exhibit those thin vertical bands when played on an emulator (or I'm assuming outputted via RGB)? I notice it during the ending to Super Fantasy Zone where the enemies scale towards the screen, and in the Brazillian Duke Nukem 3D release. You can see it very clearly in the video above, as well.

Obviously, thanks to NTSC Color Bleed, those bands would likely be invisible with a composite connection on a standard CRT, but I'm still curious as to why that quirk appears. Anybody know why?

14. Jean

Jean

Occasionally when outputting through rgb a console presents jail-bars and this can be caused by a number of things. Here's a small list: The psu not being stock(over voltage can make the picture a little distorted), A lack of capacitors on the rgb lines to strip the interfering voltage, bad shielding and crappy wiring of the rgb cable. If you put capacitors on the rgb lines use 220uF capacitors.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

This isn't a jailbar effect. This is alternating vertical lines of pixels missing from scaled elements, and only the scaled elements. So, for example, given a world origin of 0,0, if column 0,10 is a missing column for scaled sprite X, then column 0,10 for the background will still display.

It's a bit less obvious in stuff like wolfenstein and duke nukem 3D as the entire subscreen is built out of scaled elements, but in games like Super Fantasy Zone, it's very obvious.

To make it a bit clearer:

[​IMG]

See the black vertical bands running in the subscreen? Those are obviously scaling artifacts caused by something, be it a quirk with the VDP or the scaling algorithm or whatever. The brick texture itself does not have these bands running through them, and if you can get the bricks to draw at their native resolution in these games (I.e. position the z-coordinate just right so that there is no actual scaling going on) then the black bars don't manifest.

I've drawn a yellow line over one of the bands to extend it beyond the scaled subscreen - as you can see, the background elements don't have these bands running through them. The white pixel where this band should exist on the text "score" is still visible, as is the grey/green background.

Further, you wouldn't get the jailbar effect on an emulator, which is where this video was taken from.

I'm asking why the bars manifest - what specific quirk of the VDP makes them appear, as I'm pretty certain not every game uses the exact same scaling algorithm. There are many more genesis titles that exhibit this behavior - virtually any game with a software scaling effect - but the examples I've provided are the best I can think of off-hand.

16. Jean

Jean

^^
    Almost all emulators are imperfect so it could be a flaw with the software. As for composite, It is a terrible video connection, because it combines all the colors and broadcasts via and analog signal. When it comes to analog you will get the best pictures by keeping all the colors separate until it is received by your television.

17. Vangar

Vangar

This is a limitation of the megadrive. I don't know what limitation. I don't have that knowledge, but its a hardware limitation, not a bug, not the emulator, not bad video output. It's some kind of speed up trick for scaling on the megadrive, I think. Someone here might be able to explain more.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I thought that (in this case) it was done on purpose to simulate additional colors over RF, as in Vectorman?

You can get rid of those in the options menu, if you want.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's to give the illusion of more colours. Mega Drive games were not designed for super duper crisp monitors and fantastic video outputs - flip the CVBS switch in Kega Fusion.

20. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Or go to the options and select another rendering method. I prefer the last option, looks so nice to me :)