don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That is the BEST idea so far.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

A downward shooting Metropolis teleporter could easily transition into one of the vertical logs in Wood Zone. I think that's what started the whole 'Wood Zone is past Metropolis' myth.

3. Graxer

Graxer

I really like that idea too, although I feel that there would need to be a Sky Chase Zone Act 2 added to cover the extended journey from Wood Zone all the way to Death Egg Zone...

4. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Why? After beating the new Wood Zone boss, a new cutscene plays with Tails (or whoever gets shot down, ie, character differences) coming to the rescue with a rocket strapped Tornado, they fly up to a fleeing Eggman, normal Wing Fortress to Death Egg transition resumes.
    Wood Zone would simply be an alternate act, going off of Hidden Palace logic.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Or you could be shot down into wood zone and then fly back to the wing fortress, this time minus the lazers

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just recently had a chance to try Sonic 2 on Android multiplayer. All I can say is...

WOW

A big, BIG thank you to Taxman and Stealth, and anyone else involved for creating this...online full screen multiplayer in Sonic 2 has been a fetish of mine for a long, long time...great to finally play it!

This thing has so much potential!!! Some ideas -

Imagine Sonic 1,2,3&K and CD levels all playable from one multiplayer compilation app with more than 2 players at the same time *squeals* XD

~ In-app purchases for:
    • Downloadable characters from the Sonic universe with original sprite sheets.
    Eg: Chaotix, Amy (classic & modern), Metal Sonic (Metallix), Mecha Sonic (The Sonic 2 & 3k bosses), Silver Sonic (The Sonic 2 GG/MS boss), Fang, Ray, Bean, Bark, Shadow, Silver, Cream, Blaze, Classic animal friends, Eggman in egg carrier, Eggman on turbo jetskis with jetpack and goggles, SATam / Archie (Sally, Bunny, Antoine, Rotor), Fleetway (Brown porcupine Sonic, Kintobor with jetpack and jetskis, Lightfoot and Porker with jackets, Cybernik, Brutus, Captain Plunder), Underground characters (Manic, Sonia), Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts etc...
    • Animated taunts that all players see once the winner of the race has been announced.
    • Voice Taunts that nearby players can hear during online races, with pre-recorded voices from the games/shows. (Spam protection included and ability to mute them in the options in case some find them annoying).
    • Character Profiles - the history and personality of each character, when and where they first appeared in the Sonic universe with artwork galleries (similar to that of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on Sega Saturn) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FBvW1WRTYM

~ Ability to craft and download custom-made levels, including a public repository featuring the most popular zones.
    ~ Zones ported from the Game Gear / Master-System series with an option for original 8bit music or ported genesis music (or even just remaster them completely). (Examples):
    Sonic 2 GG/MS Green Hill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfAKNilMbU
    Sonic 1 GG/MS Labyrinth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbygcFhV784
    Sonic 1 GG/MS Sky base - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qv9UfBSgHI
    Sonic 1 GG/MS Jungle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B95ULhykVo
    Sonic 2 GG/MS Crystal Egg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnMlS-LbjEM
    Sonic Chaos GG/MS Turquoise Hill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QNHUPzHB1E

More game modes:
    ~ Team racing: 2v2, 3v3 with coloured player designations (http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo221/Athelstone/players2.png)
    ~ Super Race: enable characters to race in super form
    ~ Time Crisis Race: All players are given a certain amount of time to complete a race. When timer runs out all those who have not crossed the finishing line immediately lose and scores are tallied based on how far each player made
    ~ Ring Grab: players have a countdown timer to grab as many rings as they can,
    with music and special stages ported from Sonic 1 game gear / master system
    ~ Bonus Stage Race: Race through Sonic 1 genesis bonus stages and Sonic Triple Trouble bonus stages, first one to the emerald wins.
    ~ UFO Attack: Players have a countdown to hit a set number of randomly placed UFOs from Sonic CD special stages. Players who reach target first win.

Bit of feedback -
    ~ An "On your marks, get set, GO!" countdown before the race starts and once all players have entered the game would be good, to ensure players don't get ahead unfairly before everyone is in and ready.
    ~ I notice that when playing online if a player crosses the finishing line first, the other player tends to lag behind and try to beat him by collecting rings and raising his score. IMO this was a flaw in the original Sonic 2 multiplayer. Like a real race, a player should win if they cross the finishing line first: full-stop! I think game modes where players win by collecting items/rings should be made separate.
    ~ Also noticed that if a player falls too far behind in multiplayer, they will sometimes attempt to kill themselves to induce a gameover so that they can save time and move onto the next race. To that end it would be useful if there was a button or option to surrender or giveup (at the top-right perhaps).
    ~ Would be awesome to have some remixed Sonic music playing in the background when searching for a multiplayer game to get the blood pumping. Examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7dCPbYEtc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTgN1CULl8
    ~ Mario Kart Wii provides a nice example of what a multiplayer search could look like (could have an animated planet Mobius in the background spinning through space):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pwhkJS917Y
    ~ Some classic animated artwork in the background when searching through menus could be visually appealing and immersive, whilst giving players the incentive to unlock them. Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFnMh-KYHI

Heartfelt thanks again for this fantastic product - sincere best wishes for all future endeavours...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Something like this? Better late than never, yes. :v:

8. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Hey IceKnight, long time!

Indeed, something like that, looks pretty robust. There's lots that could potentially be added. It's just a matter of whether the creators are convinced it's worth the time and profit. I'm sure it would be - I think that classic Sonic is such an archetype in gaming now that people are likely to snap-up almost whatever is released. And if you have some-sort of system of gimmicky in-game purchases, the longevity and financial reward for such a thing could be enormous (as Valve have been successfully demonstrating). You only have to look at the popularity of rom hacks and editing in this community to get a snap shot of what a much larger audience could be enjoying if it was all made easily available to them.

9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Mother of god, why? Microtransactions are extremely anticonsumer if it's in a game you have to pay for to begin with. Why would you, a consumer, be okay with let alone want them? If it's not free to play, locked content should be unlocked through ingame challenges, not by further emptying your wallet.

10. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    As much as that would be an awesome idea.... Yeah, no. In-app purchases are absolute garbage, and like what Sodaholic said, Locked stuff should be unlocked in-game by doing certain challenges throughout. We shouldn't have to drop $20 in a $2.99 game just to unlock different characters.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's not going to happen anyway, so I don't really see the point in speculating over it =P

12. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Financial incentive for the creators to develop and enhance Retro Sonic further! (Look at the amount of updates DOTA2 and TF2 are receiving).

They *would* indeed be garbage - if priced silly. But it's already been proven that when consumers are offered downloadable purchases at a fair cost (cents and pennies) they're more than happy to oblige.

Why not have both? Cents and pennies are no object to many, and those that don't like paying and want the challenge of unlocking them would be free to do so.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I wouldn't mind paying $1 for an extra character, though ideally they should make it possible to unlock the character through challenging means in the game. It makes the original game more appealing by offering good replay value and thus makes for a more interesting purchase (especially the incentive of "cheating" the cost by being able to earn the character), or for those who'd rather not be bothered can pay the extra bit for it. Seems to me like a situation where the developer can't lose, since you still have to unlock a character for a game you've already payed for either way.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd pay for Metal Sonic.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Unlockables are the better choice, but I see nothing wrong with expansion packs, especially since it may relate to things SEGA didn't find profitable beforehand (as Taxman suggested about requesting Desert Dazzle). Hell Sonic isn't new to the idea. How about Sonic and Knuckles' lock on or Metal Sonic in Sonic 4 Episode 1?

16. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I like the idea of Microtransactions as long as it does not impede on the product they are trying to ship. Look at how All Stars Transformed turned out with the way it handled microtransactions. In a standard Sonic platformer, I would be willing to drop a dollar for an extra character. I don't know how I feel about level DLC, but still as long as the game delivers on all of its promises first, I would likely buy a DLC pack, maybe 2-3 Levels with 2 act and a boss for each.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is kinda how New Super Mario Bros. 2 handled it. Small level packs, but the main game was still full-length.

That's really what it boils down to. As long as DLC is truly extra material and not something that should've been included in the core game to begin with, it's fine.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

As said before, having little bells and whistles that add to the core is a nice option, so long as the main game is already there. I think that's truthfully a given with retro titles such as these, unless you're one of those that thought the original games were released half complete.

19. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I think paying to unlock a zone, if it were included, ought to be for offline only.
    For the *online* experience it seems to make financial sense for all the levels to already be fully unlocked, included and available to everyone.

The reason for this is that there are tens of thousands of casual players that just want a quick online experience and would not bother to buy the extra maps or not have the time to unlock them offline. So what you would be doing is limiting the variety of levels that these tens of thousands of casual players have access to in the short times that they play online.

Limited experience = Faster boredom = Less incentive to participate = Lower player numbers = Lower popularity of product = Less profit

In my opinion there's more than enough money to be made with Extra Characters DLC, Win-Race Taunts DLC, or Sound Taunts DLC during online races (with pre-recorded voices from the games/shows), and perhaps offline only "pay-for-a-zone", but with the ability to unlock them aswell by playing the game through.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I know I'm late (Like 4 months late) but has anyone else noticed that when you play as Sonic and Tails and become Supersonic you can place the switch monitor and it gives tails invincibility like in the original?