don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Ha, OK. Thanks for the info.
    It is entirely possible to reload art data/blocks/chunks/level layout dynamically while in the level. For level layout, I have done this in the past so that at some point in the level, the whole level layout is reloaded, virtually doubling its level size. For blocks, this is the trick I used as well for DHZ, to make cactus in the desert part of the level be ice in the winter part of that same level.

For HPZ, it may be hard to reload blocks too often, but let's say you load the loop blocks where the water slide blocks are located, and reverse (or get rid of this hideous pipe organ :) )

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I just had a quick test to see how a direct port would be, and there are way too many blocks and chunks. Though I think it would be pretty easy to remake it using the existing Hidden Palace data and adding to it from the remake when needed. It might not be exactly the same pixel for pixel, but I think it could be close enough. (unless the beta HPZ is already using all the space, I don't know)

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Whoa, wait - there's accessible Desert Dazzle / Final Fever level data in Sonic CD now? Very interested to hear more on this! = )

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Mmm... 12-14 years later, and Sonic 2 is back under the microscope. How invigorating. :v:

5. It's almost like we've come... full circle. :v:/>

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

That's an impressive easter egg, the only shame I can think of is that they didn't use the data to make a lengthened version of the level (since it's short span seems to be about the nearest to a running complaint about the updated Hidden Palace outside music squabbles). I'm sure many would have loved to go through the original layout, then where it finishes have it span out into a cool expansive level like the final.

As for Wood Zone, I'm guessing if there is a cheat for it, it'll involve the Metropolis theme (and perhaps Emerald Hill 2P if they wanted to acknowledge hacks). Truth be told though, what is there to recreate of it?

Woah there! Where did these CD maps come from???

7. Tanks

Tanks

One little tidbit I noticed in Proto Palace. The badniks operate as they do in the beta :V

8. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    I also noticed the addition of a couple of collapsing platforms during one area that had a VERY awkward jump in the actual prototype. Otherwise, yeah, it's spot on, between the badnik behaviors and the layout.

9. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I like how it has that Tails 1-up near the beginning. All in all, very nostalgic. This is my new favorite part of Sonic 2 Android.

10. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the Wood Zone had lots of potential. If Esrael was able to do this with what little the stage had in the Simon Wai beta...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcW5vqjnCU[/youtube]
    ...then I'm pretty sure something new and exciting could have been added to it in the remake, much like what was done for Hidden Palace.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

What I mean is on the same level as Proto Palace, where it's basically just a slightly tuned up version of the original layout. In the case of Wood Zone that would replicating a very small area of broken pathway.

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

It would be funny if that pit at the end of Emerald Hill Zone Act 2 led to Wood Zone. It's not the most creative idea now since Mystic Cave Zone's spike pit leads to Hidden Palace, but it'd be funny nonetheless.

13. Lambda

Lambda

That level looks REALLY boring... It's just some static block platforming followed by falling down a tube followed by more static block flatforming and another tube, rinse, repeat, etc. I'm sure Team Stealth-Tax to do wonder's with it, though.

14. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Ah, okay. Fair enough.

The Wood Zone takes place on a treetop, so I imagine it'd be a lot higher up than Hidden Palace was from Mystic Cave. An entrance from Emerald Hill to Wood Zone would probably look something like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the rest of the stage would take place from there. Yeah, I know I messed up a bit with the background between the fourth and fifth screens, but I'm sure you get the picture.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I can see your point, but there's no trees like that in Emerald Hill. The transition would feel really out of place. If you're gonna spring up into Wood Zone, the entrance would have to be somewhere that you don't know what's above it (indoor stages such as Chemical Plant or Metropolis would work), or a drop where you don't know what's below (Wing Fortress could be above anything, and Hill Top is definitely be high enough to have a forest beneath those background clouds)... but honestly, Mystic Cave is probably a better fit than anywhere:

Not too far from the start of Mystic Cave 2, there's a hidden room with a starpost in it. The thing is, players aren't super likely to enter this room by accident, and will be surprised if they do, making it the perfect place to add a new spring to another level.
    [​IMG]

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's simple. Enter one of Metropolis Zone's teleporters and it turns out to be a time machine. :P

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Or, y'know, Aquatic Ruin Zone.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

I always wondered if the field in Emerald Hill Zone's background is actually a bunch of trees. It's a bit unsettling how empty the field is compared to the actual level. If it is a bunch of trees, maybe they could be concealing a whole new level.

Edit: clarity.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's a bunch of flowers. One of the official guides seems to have the picture they used for reference, even.

20. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Those are some pretty good ideas, actually.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, towards the end of the stage, their pursuit of Robotnik would continue:

[​IMG]

I had a boss in mind, but story-wise, I'm not sure how that would work out, since Robotnik's either busy trying to reach the Death Egg or has already gotten there by the time Wood Zone's been completed. Needless to say, he can't be in two places at once. On a side note, if this idea were to be implemented, it would certainly explain where the Tornado fell to after it was blasted out of the sky.