don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    After all these years, we finally know why Sonic can't pass through the edge of the screen.
    This whole time there's been a barrier right outside our view.
    Damn you widescreen, you win again.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

I finally think I figured out what that unknown art was used for. At least it helped me a ton making barriers. It lights up while the orbs are active.

Also,

http://youtu.be/yerhECkWR8M

Here is the second camera option. You can select it. So for those bitching, it's there. It's as good as I can do atm.

EDIT:

ALSO! I'm finally able to give scrap brain act 3 the justice it deserves...
    [​IMG]
    It ALWAYS pissed me off I never got anything from it.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Phenomenal as always Hez. Enjoyed the video. Excited for the release of this. We're still several months away right? Regardless it's excellent you're making such positive progress. Something tells me this will exceed Classic 1 in every possible way. Good work.

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Curious about you "giving Scrap Brain 3 the justice it deserves".

5. dsrb

dsrb

I don't think he meant anything more than the picture: now it gets an end-of-Act card after Sonic hits the springs, whereas it faded straight out in the original game.

P.S. Don't make me get out my boxset of Father Ted

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Tried to mesh all three styles of egg-pod into one. How'd I do?

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Dang good! Funny, it kind of looks like the Eggpod from the Advanced series by way of 32x. I approve! :thumbsup:

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Is this game still in active development? I haven't seen new updates for it in over a year. Considering how one of Hez's most recent posts on Retro made it sound like he was done following the Sonic franchise, that makes me rather concerned about this game's future.

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I have been tempted to post something similar to you W.A.C. for months now. I was really looking forward to Sonic Classic 2 given how I loved the first game so much. I sent Hez a PM a few months back asking for a progress update and am yet to receive a reply. It looks like Classic 2 may have halted development for the time being. If Hez has said he's "done" with the Sonic franchise he may have been telling the truth. To be honest I was tempted to state the same when the Sonic Boom news was announced. I'm only still around because I have high hopes for Sonic Team's true next generation Sonic title.

Hopefully Hez will show up and give us an update. I'd love to hear that Classic 2 is still in development though to be honest I have serious doubts.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I'm sorry but I do not understand why you would give up a fangame project because of how the official series is being handled, and not just because such is irrelevant. I want to create and play fangames not only as a form of expression, but to fill the gaping void Sonic Team has left in the series ever since Sonic Adventure. Sonic Classic appears to be exactly that, a game designed specifically as a 90s throwback of the original series given that Sonic Team has long since failed to deliver this quality again, so giving that up because the official series has gotten worse? Seems backwards. The interest for this is now greater than ever.

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I don't know man. I agree with you to a certain extent. That's an excellent and fantastic way of looking at it in terms of reigniting the spirit of the Genesis titles with fan projects. It's entirely upto Hez though. If he's stopped working on the game then I guess that's his choice to make. Fangames can take thousands of hours of applied energy, effort and time so I think your heart has to be in it for that process to be enjoyable. I think ultimately what we need is an update from Hez himself so hopefully he'll make an appearance in this thread and let us know what's going on.

Hopefully Classic 2 is still in development even if Hez has been quiet as of late.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think it might be a good idea to try and track Hez down for a progress update. The last PM I received from him regarding Classic 2 sounded extremely promising. He stated that he was making some amazing progress and that he would be sending builds to beta testers soon and that I would be one of the people receiving a build. Then it all went quiet for quite a few months so I PMed again asking for another update and Hez didn't respond. That was in late January so just before Sonic Boom was announced. It would be a shame for Classic 2 to be abandoned because according to Hez's last PM he was nearing completion on the game. He was at beta testing stage which means all of the levels must have been complete; he just needed some assistance in terms of deriving bugs. It genuinely sounded like the game was almost done.

With any luck Hez will see that his thread has been bumped and come in here and let us all know what's happening. At least I hope so.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Maybe he went quiet to keep everything a surprise? If he was that far along with the game, that's really encouraging.

15. Lambda

Lambda

I do hope it's not dead. It was looking REALLY good. And the music was fantastic! Drill Base Zone is pure 90's bliss...

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Classic 1 is how I found Retro. I really hope this gets finished, Hez really knows how to put together a fantastic game.

17. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I'm going to play armchair psychologist for a moment and say that the reason Hez hasn't posted since the Sonic Boom announcement is because he decided that it wasn't worth being involved in Sonic-related things anymore if Sega was just going to keep ruining the series for him. So he (mostly) disassociated from the Sonic fanbase, put SC2 on hiatus and is probably starting to recognize that his decision might have been a bit rash and hasty, but he isn't currently in the mood to come back.

In summary, Hez just overreacted and burned some mental bridges that probably didn't need to be burned. Or something. :v:

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You know you've hit it big when people start openly hypothesizing about why you are or aren't doing certain things.

Seriously though, this is a little creepy.

19. winterhell

winterhell

If there was a point in time to turn away from the franchise because of mishandling the IP, it would have been Episode 1. I'll probably jinx it but it wont be easy to get that franchise-low topped. A cartoon that you havent even watched, that has even a slim chance of being good, does not seem like a good reason to rage quit on the games.

20. Lambda

Lambda

Ummmm... I'd say that Sonic 06 was the all time low... Episode 1 was garbage, but at least it was playable, and LOOKED like a Sonic game.
    Sonic 06 was a bad game in-general. Sonic 4 was just a bad Sonic game unworthy of it's name.

Anywho, I'm not really here to analyze Hez or the Sonic Franchise. I'm here just to voice that there IS interest in this project, especially with the SAGE Reboot going on...

I hate to see good work go to waste, and I want to play this game. :P