don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I thought you did already.

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I gave up the crusade but I held faith that it would be ported to Steam like CD was.
    This indicates no one, least of all Sega, cares for this to happen at all, defying all reason. I've given up hope.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They're just releasing an Android game on another Android system. I doubt that it takes SEGA/Taxman/Stealth much effort to port it. Hell, they even ported the Android version of Sonic 4 Episode 1, which is the game SEGA advertises the most of the system right now.

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Why do you think I'm so confused as to why they haven't done a Steam port yet, let alone targeting phones as a first priority.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Because they're combining the releases into one package so they can charge $20 for it. :eng101:

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wouldn't this mean that a hypothetical Steam/Xbox/PS port would also lack local multiplayer? =(

7. Pyrosaur

Pyrosaur

Lolzerz.
    It all makes sense now. o_o

8. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    No, because Amazon doesn't have a dedicated multiplayer eco system like Steamworks or Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. So (at least for now, and probably forever) multiplayer in Sonic 2's current iteration is impossible.

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    They haven't don a steam version because of these: http://store.steampowered.com/app/71113/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/71163/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    The only problem is that iOS had their own versions of Sonic 1 and 2 before Taxman and Stealth came along, and that still got the remastered versions.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, there already being versions of a game on a downloadable service has never stopped SEGA from putting up newer versions. Iirc they did the same with some of the Mega Drive games on XBLA when the superior M2 collections came along.

12. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    I suspect lack of Taxman ports for 1 & 2 might have something to do with one of three options.

1) they are waiting till Sonic 3's done to sell them as a bundle (already suggested but I think it's a highly feasable option if that's in the wings)

2) Sega's Mega Drive Collections do better on PC, and Sega don't want to seperate the Sonic titles from those sets or release new versions of 1 & 2 just yet (didn't they only really get around to releasing all the mega drive collection volumes last year?)

3) considering most hardcore fans have rom hacks that provide a lot of the features readilly available and likely own at least one of the other platforms already, Sega decided it wasn't a priority.

I mean I love the ports, and I wouldn't mind seeing a PC one, or updating the existing Sonic 1 and 2 steam titles to the Taxman version. But maybe it makes more sense to save those ports to roll out around the time Boom comes out? Throws the classic fans a bone, and means they can use the classics to help push Boom and general awareness of Sonic when the series needs it.

In any case, the only reason the FireTV gets these ports is because most of the work is already done on the spot surely? It must be easier considering Ouya has never gotten 1 and 2 ported (though I wonder how much is the hardware, or Ouya's own inexperience with setting up a system + lack of a genuine install base, who actually owns an Ouya and still uses it?)

13. Why are those still on Steam?? I hope SEGA replaces them with the Christian Whitehead updates soon!

14. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind putting CD up there is because it wasn't there already. Pardon me if I'm wrong.

15. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    CD was the stop gap between the Sonic 4 episodes. Plus since the Retro Engine ports don't really add much of anything new that non-hardcore Sonic fans would care about, what they got out there now already makes money, plus theres all these other licenses, fees and what not they'd have to go through with Microsoft and Sony. I will say, I'm a little surprised their Android ports haven't hit PlayStation Mobile. That way not only would it be on their Sony tablets, but the Vita as well.

They'd be better off re purposing these games somehow for PS4, One and Wii U moreso than the current consoles. I'd really like to play Sonic CD on my Wii U GamePad.

I like how when I reported the news on Retro, someone thought that the Retro Engine Sonic 3 port was announced. Tee hee.

16. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Maybe they're working with Microsoft on creating a Universal Windows version? It's a new thing they just announced a couple of days ago; apps that run on Win8 (desktop and tablet), Windows Phone, and Xbone. Perhaps they're going to use Sonic 1 & 2 as a demo? :O

17. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Oh please no.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I thought the answer was that Sega just doesn't give a shit. I assume they would be more enthusiastic in giving these remasters more exposure had their latest half-baked attempt at a Genesis game not been released to massive indifference. :v:/>

19. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I think Yeow has pretty much hit the nail on the head. If Sega isn't getting these ported to consoles, then I wish they'd just say so already and quit jerking us around.

20. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Sega isn't "jerking us around". They just haven't said anything. If they'd teased something, THEN it'd be them jerking us around.

Y'all do realize (most of) the anger in this thread is entirely self-generated, right?