don't click here

Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.2 Launches

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    No, that's called 'making a shitty PC port'. Having gamepad support is fine, but making a game without keyboard/mouse input on PC is inexcusable and makes the developer look like a lazy hack.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Wow, the new Techno Hill is great! I had a ton of fun playing through it. On to Deep Sea.

3. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Go ahead then, tell me how Brothers would work on a keyboard and mouse.

That game is explicitly and exclusively designed around twin analog sticks. Period.

4. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    That game is in the minority. I personally can't recall a single game that has only gamepad support that wasn't the result of a bad PC port.

5. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Protip: Brothers has perfectly fine built-in keyboard controls. WASD, arrow keys, and any comfortable adjacent keys for actions. That's it. You can even rebind them. Not sure why the hell the Steam page claims it doesn't.

6. winterhell

winterhell

X-Wing Alliance required a controller. Because flight simulators are so fun on the keyboard.

7. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    They play fine on a keyboard/mouse setup, as long as the controls aren't too obtuse. I had plenty of fun with Freespace 2.

Oh, and you mean a flight stick, not a 'standard' controller. Flight sims and traditional fighters are those two odd genres where most fans consider entirely unique control peripherals (flight sticks/joysticks and fight pads, respectively) to be optimal to those genres - this applies to consoles as well as PC. It also applies to racing sims with racing wheels, to some extent, as well. But that's still absolutely no excuse for not providing keyboard/mouse controls for people who don't have/want/need a controller or anything else - PC gamers have higher standards these days, and they will call you out if your game is missing vital features that PC gamers consider standard.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Now that I've gotten Alam's Linux port running, (Dunno why it crashed the first time I started it.) I'm really loving the new version! Techno Hill's makeover is fantastic, I love the second act's city view, and the slime is a lot of fun to play with. The only thing that sucked was the crash I got fighting the boss on Castle Eggman Zone, but hopefully that will be a rare instance.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out how to get Hinote's SOC working again. Character WAD structures have thankfully barely changed with this version, so all I've had to edit were the pref colors, and the value attached to the character ability. (Not sure which one does what yet.)

Yeah. It doesn't make sense not to support multiple types of input, especially in this day and age where mobile games are doing it now too with bluetooth controllers. Gamepad users on mobile are probably a minority, but it's no less a godsend to people who can't stand having their thumbs in the way of the action. If "inferior" controller support helps squeak in a few more sales and people playing a game, so be it. Not doing so just says you don't care about your other players.

It's all really a matter of preference, and what's more comfortable for your muscle memory; even one of my friends in the competitive fighting scene can tell you that. (He's beaten a few guys bragging about their custom arcade pads with only a Dual-Shock 3.) Some prefer controllers/joysticks/gamepads, others feel more in control with the keyboard. Cut off support of either on the PC side, and you've got a frustrated userbase, that are either fiddling around with third-party software for faking keystrokes or button presses, putting up with it because they love the game so much, or giving up and not playing the game at all.

On a game console, it's simply a plus if you support more types of controllers, but on a PC, it can be a little fragmenting if you only support one or the other.

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Played up to Deep Sea. It's still pretty fun, but I'm kinda holding out on really enjoying it until someone makes a Sonic WAD with Homing Attack, or it's piss easy to put Homing Attack into Sonic.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and 2.1.2 is out. https://www.srb2.org/2014/03/version-2-1-2-patch/

10. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Hey, I like that game ! I played the two first zones with Sonic, and I really enjoyed it. It's a bit hard to manage Sonic' speed sometimes, but I'd rather him being fast than being slow, so I won't say it's a problem.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Okay, fine, but controllers on the PC are still ubiquitous enough now that you probably shouldn't be ignoring them or saying they don't matter. More than 400 games on Steam support an Xbox 360 controller. Valve has a whole entire mode for Steam where you can browse and type text using only a controller and nothing else. If you do not have a controller for your PC right now, chances are you are going to get one in the future. (unless you're being a stubborn weirdo, in which case you should get over it, grandpa)

SRB2 would do well to auto-detect the Xbox 360 controller and set up a pre-made config for it, even. Because that's also something a lot of modern games do now.

12. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Uhh, what is the problem, BlazeHedgehog ? I play with an Xbox 360 gamepad and it works just fine.

13. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Gave up trying to use a controller and started using the mouse. I am now infinitely better after I mapped spin and jump to the mouse buttons and just moved around with wasd.

The special stages are impossible for me to control correctly without a controller though. Have to swap in for that.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Man, I haven't played this game in years. Was the homing attack always this intense? I've found myself avoiding it unless there's a wall just in front of me that I can stop with, lest I go careening off into the distance and completely lose my sense of direction.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Personally I use WASD for movement, space to jump, shift to spin, and the mouse buttons for ring-throwing in the rare instance I actually want to play a multiplayer game (because I really really suck at SRB2's multiplayer modes, even with all of the bones being thrown in this new version - like more shields, letting me keep my items for longer).

Perks of this control scheme: you can play the entire SRB1 mode with only your left hand. I'm not sure if this is much of a gain, but it's something. Suppose it might be good for eating food?

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Being able to eat food and play games all at once is always a nice perk. =P I once cobbled together this PC controller into a TV remote shell for exactly that, so I could eat pizza and play Ocarina of Time at the same time.

I called it the Friimote! *bricked*

[​IMG]

It was an ability that the team came up with well before Sonic Adventure 1 debuted, I think? So it wasn't meant to be a homing attack, just a ridiculously fast air dash. It's a pain to control precisely where you're going without a mouse.

Also, a new patch is out, guys! 2.1.2, here we come.

https://www.srb2.org/download/

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

• If 2P CPU Tails is anywhere near an air bubble dispenser, the game will give him every single one, leaving Sonic to drown. Maybe the game should prioritize whoever has the least oxygen?
    • Similarly to the checkpoints, the radius on air bubbles could be extended to be a little more generous (not a lot, obviously).
    • I got crushed just for standing near a crushing object.
    • DSZ's boss, like a lot of the bosses, is pretty unforgiving. You very quickly reach a point where if you fall in the water AT ALL, you are guaranteed to take damage, even if you literally land on the spring. And you're pretty much guaranteed to fall in the water, especially once you start having to find the fake Eggman. Not only that, but quite often I find myself bounced backwards in to the missiles he shoots. I don't have a lot of control over dodging those, especially when I have three Eggmans shooting at me. The boss feels really fiddly and kind of bullshit.
    • Along the same lines, the Castle Eggman boss killed me before I entirely understood what was going on. You couldn't start the player up in the bleachers?
    • Irrespective of nothing else, I'd just like to curse Tails for letting his big orange butt get in the way of me lining up the final hit of the CEZ boss. :argh:
    • These spike balls move so fast that it looks kind of... aesthetically displeasing? I realize how nitpicky this probably sounds, though.
    • Knuckles gliding is pretty difficult to control in analog mode (he turns way too sharply)

18. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Well, I never said not supporting controllers is a good thing. PC gaming, among other things, is about choice, these days. But I consider games that require a lot of precise camera manipulation to work best with the mouse, for obvious reasons, dual-stick is just sub-optimal for me.

Also, the Metal Sonic race is just not fun. It's basically another act of insta-death platforming bullshit like the previous two acts of Egg Rock, except now you're on a timer. The race in Sonic CD was less about avoiding death and more about actually racing Metal Sonic.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    So I just tried this game using a GCN controller with the game's built in controller support and dear god, what an enormous difference compared to emulating a mouse and the game's controller support for xinput. Why is the controller support only digital for xinput controllers? I've never seen this happen with any other game. Also, in analog mode, why does moving a mouse left to right make Sonic move left to right instead of the camera? If it emulated a camera, the camera system would be radically better for analog mode which would be extremely helpful.

Edit-

It's too bad I can't get the analog mode to work as well with xinput since the DualShock 4 has much better analog sticks than the GCN controller's sticks.

Edit-

So it has become apparent to me that the mouse always controls turning. In analog mode, turning moves your character left to right but controls the camera in strafing mode. However, the keys for strafing left and right do the same exact thing as the keys for turning in analog mode. With this in mind, is it possible to make the turning function act solely as a camera regardless if you're in analog mode or not? Also, I'm definitely able to go in more than eight directions with the GCN analog stick for the game's built in controls regardless if I have analog mode enabled or disabled. If I have analog controls disabled with my GCN controller, I have the L and R buttons function as a mouse for left and right. This works really well for camera controls while strafing. The analog controls are actually pretty good with my GCN controller for the most part. Though moves like gliding still only go in eight directions. I wonder why xinput support is so broken. o_O

Edit-

So if you guys could:
    -Have turning only affect the camera when you're not strafing.
    -Be able to switch back and forth from strafing to analog controls with a click of a button.
    -Fix xinput support.

That would be absolutely fantastic.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Told ya it was way better than Xpadder's mouse emulation. =P And yeah, character abilities have always only worked in 8 directions, dunno why.

I think I might drop this stuff in a bug report topic over at the SRB2 message board, with xinput not cooperating, unless you want to. It's a pretty big, decade-old issue that affects directional and acceleration controls for most controllers I've used in analog mode.