don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, when your options are:

1) Original Mega Drive footage
    2) Emulated game footage
    3) 3DS version GigaDrive version
    4) High quality mobile device version

You want to go for the one that will look the best presentations wise. Two of those would look not very good in recording, one is a mixed bag/questionably legal, and the last one is just the de facto best you can get.

2. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    If you mean emulation being a mixed bag, what about the Mega Collection copies? Or the other that was on 360/PS3~

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They're actually what I had in mind, along with the Virtual Console. They were... passable.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Does that make the bosses slightly different for each aspect ratio?

5. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah it does actually! Playing in 4:3 will make all the bosses behave as they were originally designed, but as the width increases the boss logic will start to change to compensate in several ways depending on the boss. For example:

- Movement distances and speeds could be scaled (Marble Zone boss)
    - Additional barriers could be added (Spring Yard Zone boss)

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You know I can't help but wonder why you settled for barriers instead of adding more blocks because to me those barriers just don't sit well aesthetically in the boss arena. Kinda hope you change your mind on that or an option to switch between the two.

7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Also, I wouldn't mind a 16:9 mode for iPad, even if it means letterboxed. You could put the touch controls on the bottom and out of the gameplay screen area! :)

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And I was about to say that it's a shame that not all levels have barriers, since the expanded arenas make you have to approach the attacks a bit differently than the original design. Bosses are tweaked to move faster just so it takes the same amount of time for them to get from A to B, while Sonic will take longer than them since he has the same speed as usual... Because of this, times in the Time Attack mode can't be consistent between devices with different aspect ratios.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I'm not a fan of adding barriers where there's no environmental element for it to fit in, or pillar boxing. SYZ was stretching it, but we felt it should be done because the amount of blocks on the bridge correlates with the difficulty. But hey, that's just a part of development I guess. We have to make the call on these things and it's impossible for 100% of the people out there to agree. I seem to remember on this forum some massive debate over the ARZ chicken totem poles in Sonic 2 HD that went nowhere :v:

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    :v:

11. Falk

Falk

There is a legitimate issue of time attack vs aspect ratios, though. This isn't simply 'oh my god they can see more hence it's pay-2-win advantage for people who spend money on widescreen monitors' a-la HoN or CoD forums in early '10s, it's an actual game mechanic change.

12. Hey, actual request here, more for Sonic CD since Sonic 1 and 2 are compatible with this. But would it be possible to patch Sonic CD on Android so it uses the slide/fade in main bars so the game gets the screen space? For those who don't know, when playing on a mobile device with an exact 16:9 screen, Sonic CD cuts off some of the side to display the main bar:

http://i61.tinypic.com/288tohx.png
    http://i58.tinypic.com/1zp1ro1.png

Where as Sonic 1 and 2 don't do this, they display the game as full screen:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2agkikp.png
    http://i60.tinypic.com/2u70ps6.png

unless of course you slide it in yourself:

http://i58.tinypic.com/eklqbr.png

Would be great to see Sonic CD get that ability to.

13. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Like, sorry for asking, but only recently I got myself a Samsung Android phone. A while ago, I bought Sonic 1, and everything was running finely, until the game actually started playing. The game when it starts, it all goes really slow, but everything is fine when it's in the pause or the main menu. I have no idea if there's a way to work around it so it doesn't slows down so much when I'm playing, and I find it weird that it happens, since I downloaded the Sonic CD demo on my phone and it played just fine. Does anybody knows about this and if there's a way to fix it, somehow?

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Might be related to power saving features. As I understand, some Samsung phones misreport their framerate when power saving is turned on, which can wreak all sorts of havoc on games.

15. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I'll have to take a look into that. Since I'm still a little new to this phone, I don't really know much about the power saving features it has. Are there any specific features in here that I should check out regarding that? Using a Samsung Galaxy Y, by the way.

16. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD are coming to Amazon's Fire TV at launch. Finally 1&2 are getting SOMEWHAT of a console treatment.

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/451394087350857728

17. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    If you do happen to get one of these, you can get Sonic CD for free: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Sonic-CD/dp/B008K9UZY4/ref=sr_1_29?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396463584&sr=1-29

What a steal.

18. I'm really tempted to get that to play Tax's ports on my TV. I would much rather have them on PS4 but still...

19. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Taxman also noted that the 2 Player functions aren't on the Fire TV version, and theres not really a budget to add splitscreen to this version of the game.

That kind of bums me out, honestly, that basically means that this isn't the definitive version of the port. Not even any online multiplayer, but that's likely because there's no Game Room or Google Play equivalent on Amazon's service right now.

20. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I give up.